Incurable cut on toe

Old November 29th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Heloise

Default Incurable cut on toe

My greyhound has about a 1/2 inch cut on his outer toe that keeps
reopening when he runs. This has been going on for three years. I let
it heal for two or three weeks then take him back to the dog park and
there we go again. I've had him to the vet several times (have spent
about $500 on it) but there is so far no solution. The last vet to see
him suggested painting it with liquid bandage and this does some
good--there's less blood.

A greyhound owner at the park today said he had used Preparation H and
Nexicare on his dog's foot, but I looked for Nexicare at the store and
on the Net and am not coming up with it. I never know if I'll run into
the same people again at the park.

Does anyone know this product? Or have suggestions? I hate to be
limited to taking him to the park just once every three weeks then
bringing him home limping (actually, he's safe in the summer because as
soon as it hits 75 degrees he's too lazy to run). Booties do no
good...

Thanks...

Old November 29th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Heloise wrote:

My greyhound has about a 1/2 inch cut on his outer toe that keeps
reopening when he runs. This has been going on for three years.

Oh, ow.

I let
it heal for two or three weeks then take him back to the dog park and
there we go again. I've had him to the vet several times (have spent
about $500 on it) but there is so far no solution. The last vet to see
him suggested painting it with liquid bandage and this does some
good--there's less blood.

A greyhound owner at the park today said he had used Preparation H and
Nexicare on his dog's foot, but I looked for Nexicare at the store and
on the Net and am not coming up with it.

I don't think you've got the spelling just right but I know they make an
extended-healing bandage in addition to a super-glue type liquid
bandage. I used the extended healing bandages on an icky injury of my
own. I dropped a couch and the edge of the frame peeled a 1" wide by 4"
long window shade from my shin. It was almost bone deep, but it wasn't
something that should or even could have been stitched.

The extended healing bandages look like a semi-translucent patch of
plastic or rubber, applied directly to the (cleaned) injury site. No
ointments or creams. Then you just leave it alone for a few days.

It absorbs fluid from the wound which shows up as sort of white-ish
patches visible within the bandage. Don't freak out. It's not pus.
This is normal and desireable. Moist healing minimizes scarring.

I used them continually for about 12 weeks after the injury and while
the track of the injury is palpable, you can't see it from 3 feet away.
By comparison, skinned elbows and knees left to scab over ("leave it
open to the air, it'll heal faster") left deep purple scars that lasted
for years. I don't know if this particular product would work without
additional tape or wrappings to hold it in place on a hairy surface that
is constantly in motion.

I never know if I'll run into
the same people again at the park.

Does anyone know this product? Or have suggestions? I hate to be
limited to taking him to the park just once every three weeks then
bringing him home limping (actually, he's safe in the summer because as
soon as it hits 75 degrees he's too lazy to run).

What does your vet say? If I was looking at a toe injury that persisted
for 3 years I'd be wondering if amputation was an option.

Booties do no
good...

Not for keeping from re-injuring the toe during exercise. But keeping
the foot cleaned, medicated (maybe with some sort of healing salve like
Preparation H) and covered with a bandage to prevent rubbing and that
covered with a bootie to keep it clean and prevent him from picking at
it, may help it to heal completely, especially if you will be heading
into a period of several weeks of enforced idleness due to heat, cold or
rain.

Kathleen

Old November 29th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Robin Nuttall

Heloise wrote:

[...]

Why are you only waiting 2-3 weeks? How about waiting 2-3 months, *then*
trying it?

I know when one of my dogs pulled out one of her nails, it was a solid 3
months before it totally quit bleeding.

Old November 29th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On 28 Nov 2006 18:04:41 -0800, "Heloise" wrote:

My greyhound has about a 1/2 inch cut on his outer toe that keeps
reopening when he runs. This has been going on for three years. I let
it heal for two or three weeks then take him back to the dog park and
there we go again. I've had him to the vet several times (have spent
about $500 on it) but there is so far no solution. The last vet to see
him suggested painting it with liquid bandage and this does some
good--there's less blood.

A greyhound owner at the park today said he had used Preparation H and
Nexicare on his dog's foot, but I looked for Nexicare at the store and
on the Net and am not coming up with it. I never know if I'll run into
the same people again at the park.

I think Nexcare is a brand name for a liquid bandage-type product.

Does anyone know this product? Or have suggestions? I hate to be
limited to taking him to the park just once every three weeks then
bringing him home limping (actually, he's safe in the summer because as
soon as it hits 75 degrees he's too lazy to run). Booties do no
good...

I'd let it heal for longer than 2-3 weeks, and find a different place
for him to run in the meantime, such as a smallish fenced yard where
he can just do a couple of turns to get the kinks out. I assume you
don't have a fenced yard, and take him to the park so he can run? The
other alternative is to do leash walks only until the thing heals
completely and permanently.

Mustang Sally