Euthenasia - How do I decide when?

Old November 29th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Carlton

Default Euthenasia - How do I decide when?

My dear golden is 14 and showing some real signs of old age. Her back end
is getting weaker and weaker. She stopped jumping in the car about a year
ago and now falls in her stuff more and more while going to the bathroom.
She seems happy but her back legs are really getting weak. Bathroom
mistakes inside the house are getting more common.

When is it time to put her to sleep? Does anyone have any advice on this?
Some of our friends are sayng we should just do it and get another dog, but
they don't seem to understand it's not a car, it's a great old girl that's
been through a lot with us. We are going to have to live with this decision
for a long time.

thanks,
Carlton

Old November 29th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

"Carlton" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

She seems happy but her back legs are really getting weak.
Bathroom mistakes inside the house are getting more common.

When is it time to put her to sleep?

This is the toughest call of them all, and yours is way more
difficult than many because your dog is dieing of old age and
not some quantifiable medical condition.

You know your dog better than anyone else. I looked for
specific quality of life issues when I thought that I'd be
making a similar decision.

What does your Golden enjoy most of all?

Old November 29th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Cartrivision1

Carlton wrote:
My dear golden is 14 and showing some real signs of old age. Her back end
is getting weaker and weaker. She stopped jumping in the car about a year
ago and now falls in her stuff more and more while going to the bathroom.
She seems happy but her back legs are really getting weak. Bathroom
mistakes inside the house are getting more common.

I myself have a hard time understanding just why you would even
consider such a drastic step at this stage? Yes, if she was in
constant pain, couldn't swallow, paralyzed, etc....it might be
understandable. An ex-girlfriend of mine once had a story tacked on
her bathroom wall that told from the dogs perspective to his/her owner.
One line I remember from it was "And once I am older and not as strong
as I once was, please don't turn your back on me, and when it is my
time to go, let me go in your loving arms". Of course this is strictly
from memory and I am sure I flubbed it up, but you get the point.
Maybe someone can post this? It is real touching.

To me my dogs are family and I would do anything to have them be with
me, even if for only one more day. Please don't take this as criticism
but more of hoping you really think over such a big decision.

CTV

Old November 29th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Carlton" wrote in message
. ..
My dear golden is 14 and showing some real signs of old age. Her back end
is getting weaker and weaker
When is it time to put her to sleep?

..........These are highly individual decisions.....and probably the hardest
one you'll ever make. We're all afraid we'll wait too long and our pets
might be in pain. First, though, I think you should talk to your vet about
some NSAIDs for arthritis. Please make sure they do some blood tests to
check liver and kidneys before she takes the meds. It may be enough to help
with unsteadiness. At the same time talk to your vet about the procedure of
euthanasia so you'll know what to expect when the time comes. Your vet may
also offer the service of coming to the house.

......Most people will tell you that one day you'll just *know* your pup is
not having a good time and wants to cross the bridge. If you've never had
to go through this before you might not believe it, but it's generally true.

enjoy your pup every day
buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old November 29th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Cartrivision1" wrote in message
ups.com...
I myself have a hard time understanding just why you would even
consider such a drastic step at this stage? Yes, if she was in
constant pain, couldn't swallow, paralyzed, etc

To me my dogs are family and I would do anything to have them be with
me, even if for only one more day.

.........sometimes it's not in the dog's best interest to stay with you one
more day. Most dogs are more stoic about pain that we are and it's hard to
tell how much pain they're in......until they're out of it.

Old November 29th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Marcel Beaudoin

"Carlton" wrote in
:

When is it time to put her to sleep? Does anyone have any advice on
this?

I have never had to do this, but here is what I plan on using to determine
when it is time.

I will pick three things that Moogli likes doing. When he can no longer do
two of the three, then it will be time to start thinking about euthanizing.

--
Marcel and Moogli
Old November 29th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:42:11 GMT, "buglady"

To me my dogs are family and I would do anything to have them be with
me, even if for only one more day.

........sometimes it's not in the dog's best interest to stay with you one
more day. Most dogs are more stoic about pain that we are and it's hard to
tell how much pain they're in......until they're out of it.

buglady

Thank you so much, Buglady. That very important point needed saying by a
respectable person, like you.

__________________________
When I count my blessings, I count my dog twice.
Old November 29th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 04:42:16 GMT, "Carlton" wrote:

My dear golden is 14 and showing some real signs of old age. Her back end
is getting weaker and weaker. She stopped jumping in the car about a year
ago and now falls in her stuff more and more while going to the bathroom.
She seems happy but her back legs are really getting weak. Bathroom
mistakes inside the house are getting more common.

When is it time to put her to sleep? Does anyone have any advice on this?
Some of our friends are sayng we should just do it and get another dog, but
they don't seem to understand it's not a car, it's a great old girl that's
been through a lot with us. We are going to have to live with this decision
for a long time.

I can never address such posts and keep a dry eye. :-)

As you see, opinions vary. Nearly all of us would agree there is no way
to ease the pain of saying "Goodbye."

Medical technology has enabled us to keep dogs, and people, alive an
unnaturally long time. Her falling in her feces and going inside the
house are not reasons to help her out. The reason is because she knows
this is not how she wants to exist.

At 14, your dog's days are number, whether you intervene or not; but you
get to choose how you will remember her. You can do things to keep her
alive or you can help her cross the bridge with her dignity intact.

"Just do it" is definitely not what I would say, but yes, I believe you
should end your dog's suffering now. Hopefully, your vet would make a
house call for such an extreme cause. If you do not know what to expect
from a lethal injection, you should find out. I'll be happy to describe
what I've witnessed many times. It is peaceful beyond imagination.

As for getting another dog, I strongly urge you to do just that. It is
Not disrespectful to the loved one you've lost. In fact, it is a
tribute! It says, "The dog I lost inspires me to love you, too!" No one
is silly enough to consider a new dog "a replacement!" That is
unrealistic, but every dog has similarities and differences. You will
find yourself appreciating both in your new dog. My dog, Tang, doesn't
know this, but when I'm hugging him, I'm also hugging Max, Nightbear,
Sheba and Teddy.

I encourage you to visit http://www.petloss.com. Read "The Rainbow
Bridge."

I understand that a dog is "not a car," but if we have a good experience
with a particular brand, we're apt to get another one like it.
Fortunately, the odds of finding a suitable new dog are better than
replacing a car. :-)

For what its worth, regardless of what you decide, for the next few
months or years, you will wonder if you made the right decision. And
then one day, you'll realize the answer.

I am saddened by what you're facing.

___________________
A dog's life is too short; their only fault really.
Old November 29th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Michael A. Ball wrote:
I'll be happy to describe
what I've witnessed many times. It is peaceful beyond imagination.

I'll bet you would, in loving detail, too.

Anyway, if somebody who's never seen your dog says "Yes!
Euthanize your dog now!!" or "No! Don't euthanize your dog
now!!" you know you're dealing with a moron or an asshole or
both. It's a difficult, extremely personal decision and one
that needs to be made in consultation with your usual
veterinarian, not some kill-happy idiot with his own
agenda.

There are several more-or-less objective criteria that
people recommend, including if the dog has more bad days
than good over the course of a week or if the dog can no
longer do two out of three of his favorite things. But as
either buglady or Sharon posted earlier, you'll almost
certainly know in your gut when it's time - a light goes out
inside the dog he he seems to lose hope himself.

It's probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but
it's a blessing for the dog to let him go when the time
comes. But you've got to trust that you know your dog well
enough to recognize when he tells you it's time, and
absolutely don't rely on some creep you've never met.

Old November 29th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
Michael A. Ball wrote:
I'll be happy to describe
what I've witnessed many times. It is peaceful beyond imagination.

You are one creepy dude.

I'll bet you would, in loving detail, too.

Even when everything goes right--and there are no guarantees that it
will--I wouldn't describe it as "peaceful beyond imagination."

Anyway, if somebody who's never seen your dog says "Yes!
Euthanize your dog now!!" or "No! Don't euthanize your dog
now!!" you know you're dealing with a moron or an asshole or
both. It's a difficult, extremely personal decision and one
that needs to be made in consultation with your usual
veterinarian, not some kill-happy idiot with his own
agenda.

What she said. Also, I'm not sure even a vet should be offering up
that sort of advice, unless it's become a humane issue.

It's probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but
it's a blessing for the dog to let him go when the time
comes. But you've got to trust that you know your dog well
enough to recognize when he tells you it's time, and
absolutely don't rely on some creep you've never met.

A-freaking-men. I've had the luxury of only having to euthanize one
of my own pets. Nothing I'd read or been told about it--even from
close friends who regularly performed euths--prepared me for it. It
was both easier and harder than I had ever imagined.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)