DES not working for incontinence

Old November 29th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Default DES not working for incontinence

Roxy has been on DES for a few weeks now. She started with once a day
for five days, then every other day, then every two days, etc., to every
5 days as a permanent schedule as per the vet. I haven't seen any change
in the problem. She is still dribbling and also leaking while she
sleeps.

I will be discussing this with our vet tomorrow, but I know that his
approach will be to switch her to Proin. While that might be the right
thing to do, I want to find out if there is anything else we should be
looking at medically. It seems to me that if this is spay incontinence,
the DES would have resolved it. I'm concerned that something else might
be going on.

Roxy is about 16 months old and was spayed very young at the shelter
(probably at 2 months). When the problem first came up, I had a
cystocentesis and xray done to rule out UTI and/or stones. The culture
was normal, the urinalysis showed only a slightly elevated protein. The
xray was normal. They also did an ultrasound of her bladder and didn't
see anything.

Her leaking always occurs when she is laying down, mostly when she is
asleep. It happens for 2 or 3 days every couple of weeks. She licks
herself an awful lot on a regular basis. A vet friend was staying with
us for a few days before I had the tests run and she was sure Roxy must
have a UTI because she seemed irritated--hence the licking. I later
noticed that she was dribbling and I think the licking may be because of
that.

So before I let the vet just switch her to Proin, is there something else
we should be looking at medically? If it's spay incontinence, why would
DES not work for her? I hesitate to put her on Proin since she is so
young and her "breed" typically lives to be 14-16 years old. That's an
awful long time to be on a drug. If it's the right thing to do, of
course that's what we will do. But I want to be sure we haven't missed
any other possible causes for this.

Any thoughts?

--
Lynne

Old November 30th 06, 07:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:47:15 -0600, Lynne
wrote:

So before I let the vet just switch her to Proin, is there something else
we should be looking at medically? If it's spay incontinence, why would
DES not work for her? I hesitate to put her on Proin since she is so
young and her "breed" typically lives to be 14-16 years old. That's an
awful long time to be on a drug. If it's the right thing to do, of
course that's what we will do. But I want to be sure we haven't missed
any other possible causes for this.

I'm not sure it follows that not responding to DES means she is not
spay incontinent. Your vet should be able to tell you how that works
if a recommendation of going on Proin is made. If it doesn't make
sense to you after the explanation, it's not like you have to make a
decision right then and there. Incontinence is not likely to be
fatal. So you can either sleep on the info and see if it makes any
more sense in the morning or after some googling or whatever or get a
second opinion or go ahead and put her on the Proin to see if it
works. If it doesn't, she doesn't need to be on it for life so that
worry is gone. If it does, you have more evidence that it really is
spay incontinence (or something else that is treated effectively by
the Proin) so she is not going on it for nothing or without showing
that there is a legitimate reason.

A lot of diagnosis, with humans as well as animals, is done by
elimination when various treatments don't work. If the treatment is
especially risky, you don't want to go that route, but if it isn't,
that can often be much easier on the dog than the alternative testing
procedures. Ask the vet about potential side effects and risks of
short and long term use so you can better weigh out the risks vs. the
benefits. If you have a good vet with good communication skills, it
should be a lot easier to make the choice after that conversation. For
all you know, he might even make another recommendation based on
whatever he sees or doesn't see in the situation after this exam, so
don't be too worried about it in advance. Just remember that you have
the right to ask questions and have the reasoning for any
recommendations explained to you before you make any decisions about
your dog's treatment and you won't have to worry about whether you
will be doing the right thing until you are actually at decision
making time.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old November 30th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:05:03 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

I've forgotten - how long has she been on the DES? Is there a different
dosage possible? IIRC, it took (at least) a month before it worked for
Doodle.

Bodies process chemicals differently, so that's always an issue.

well crap, my vet never mentioned that possibility. I switched her to
Proin yesterday.

Roxy started on the DES on 2 1/2 weeks ago.

--
Lynne
Old November 30th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:53:59 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

I may be misremembering- it was a long time ago. I'd trust the vet over
my advice any day.

my vet sucks. I've been looking for a new one, but haven't found him or
her yet.

Now that Roxy is on the Proin, I will give it some time to see if it works.
When I find the right vet, I will consult with him/her about this. I'd
much rather Roxy be on DES long term than Proin. She's so young for all
this.

--
Lynne

Old November 30th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:56:05 -0600, Lynne
, clicked their heels and said:

I'd
much rather Roxy be on DES long term than Proin.

Why? Rudy's on Proin and I unfortunately do not see that able to
change.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old November 30th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Lynne wrote:
I'd
much rather Roxy be on DES long term than Proin.

Why?