Are there any dog breeds that are happy to stay alone in a house/garden for 2 days a week?

Old November 30th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.pets.dogs.labrador,alt.pets.dogs.pitbull
[email protected]

Default Are there any dog breeds that are happy to stay alone in a house/garden for 2 days a week?

Hello janet,

Janet B wrote:
On 29 Nov 2006 11:40:17 -0800, "JL" , clicked their
heels and said:

My wife, daughter and I are very keen to have a dog. However our love
of animals is such that we would not contemplate buying one unless we
were assured that it would be happy being left in our house/garden from
8am to 4pm for 2 days of the week when my wife also works. I have a
friend who used to have a dog flap into the back garden that seemed
very content to be left at home on a regular basis but what is the
general opinion?

Jon - what a good person,

INDEEDY!

to actually think about this!

This Poor Shepherd Boy And His Dog At His Masters Feet will give
Jon A LOT more to think about, janet, just stick around a moment...

MANY dogs would be just fine with your schedule.

You mean, some dogs won't, janet?

2, 8 hour days is far less than the average dog
here on this side of the pond, spends alone.

You mean, like your "students" dogs who spend 16-20 hours a
day locked in a box when they're not being jerked and choked
on your custom made pronged spiked pinch choke collar, janet?

That said, an adult dog would be the easiest choice,

That'll DEPRIVE Jon and his family of BONDING with a
puppy from the age of SIX WEEKS, won't it, janet?

with the capacity to hold their bladder and bowels,

That's absurd, janet.

not need a midday feeding,

Since when is 8 hours TOO LONG for a puppy to go
between feedings, janet? They SLEEP that long. Do
you wake up to feed in the middle of the night?

and also generally be past destructive stage.

There AIN'T NO SUCH THING as a DESTRUCTIVE stage,
janet. Destructiveness is CAUSED by your REPRESSIVE
OBEDIENCE TRAINING methods.

Visit your local shelter -

There are FEW, if ANY, well behaved dogs in SHELTERS, janet.
MOST dogs GET INTO "shelters" because they're PROBLEM dogs.

there are a LOT of dogs who fit this description,

You mean, like your IN PERSON REAL LIFE "student" paul e. schoen
and his RESCUE dog Muttley whom you JERKED and CHOKED till
IT WENT INSANE and ATTACKED a puppy in YOUR OBEDIENCE
TRAINING CLASS UNDER YOUR DIRECT SUPERVISION, janet?

YOU TOLD paulie to MURDER his RESCUE dog, REMEMBER, janet?

who would love to go home to a family who is home most of the time!

You mean like your REAL LIFE IN PERSON "student" nessa who's
dogs DESTROYED her house and TURNED ON HER thanks to
YOUR OBEDIENCE TRAINING, and then you told her she COULDN'T
GET RID of them to a SHELTER because of their HANDLER AGGRESSION?

Here's a little of your own POSTED CASE HISTORY of DISMAL FAILURE.

REMEMBER, janet?:
Here's WON of your REAL LIFE IN PERSON "students", janet:

Subject: First Class was tonite

1 From: Nessa
Date: Tues, Jun 11 2002 8:32 pm
Email: Nessa

Tonite I started Janet's obedience class. It's like NIGHT
and DAY from the class Bagel 'flunked'. I was amazed at
the difference and I am very glad Janet gave me the chance
to attend her class.

I can't wait till PK on Saturday.

Nessa

From: Nessa
Date: Thurs, Jul 4 2002 8:22 am
Email: Nessa

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 0:08:02 -0400, Jenn wrote
(in message ):

That aside, I crate trained both my dogs successfully,
and used the crate to house train them.

Bagel is so well crate trained that in the mornings when
I make his Kong, he runs to the crate and since I am not
crating him anymore (just confining him) but I am crating
Hannah, I have to pull him out of the crate and he does not
want to get out.

BTW housebreaking with Janet is going quite well.

Nessa

----------------

Subject: I went away for the weekend... big mistake

1 From: Nessa -
Date: Sun, Jul 21 2002 9:58 pm
Email: Nessa

I went away for the weekend and I think my
dog walker will never speak to me again.

Bagel escaped from the kitchen and ate about 10
pounds of puppy food and proceeded to deposit it
all over my house.

He esp. liked my living room sofa which was my
mothers as he pulled some cushions off of it and
literally stood on it and peed.

Yes I know my dog has issues and I know I need help.

I think my poor dog walker needs therapy now.

It was a rough dog weekend for her and not
just with my kids.

I didn't know until the last minute I was going away
and NEXT time, the furbabies will go to furbaby camp
for the weekend.

It was too much for them.

Well live and learn.

Meanwhile, I'm still glad I went on retreat.

My house will survive as things are not important.

Hannah still loves me and Bagel will talk
to me in a few days.....

Nessa
------------

From: Nessa )
Subject: Where we stand/sit/down/leave it Now

Date: 2003-09-17 14:14:51 PST
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:16:04 -0400,
Charlie Wilkes wrote (in message
):

Yes, it's a huge improvement over shoving them
in crates at night. But why does Bagel have to be
leashed?

because he will wander the area (room if i close
the door or house if i don't) and pee and bark all
night long. but i said that already you must not
be reading for comprehension.
--
Nessa

=========

From: Nessa )
Subject: Sad News.. I need someone to take my dogs
Date: 2003-08-26 09:55:03 PST

well I'm not BLAMING my job it's ONE of MANY
things that I'm considering.

As for returning them to their respective shelters,
I don't want to split them up and I'm not going to
give them to just anyone. Possibly because I am
doing everything I can to keep them and drag this
mess out as long as possible in hopes that it will
work out.

=============

Here's a OTHER WON of your own REAL LIFE IN PERSON "students", janet:

Subject: Muttley: Now a question of Life or Death
"Paul E. Schoen" wrote

It is a shame that Muttley will probably be put
down (his appointment is next Wednesday),

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote

Hello everyone:

If you have followed some of my posts, you know something
about the ongoing story of Muttley, the large GSD/Chow dog
I have been trying to adopt or place in a better home.

I will add a bit more history later in this post.

Last Tuesday, toward the end of Janet's obedience class,
Muttley and I had just finished fairly successfully performing
a sit/stay/come routine, and then he was sitting by my side.

The final routine was to be a "down", which Muttley has had
some difficulty with, and frankly I have not had the time to
work with him much on that.

I was kneeling at his side, trying to hold his collar while
pushing his front legs down to the position, while he resisted.
Suddenly he lunged, knocking me over onto the parking lot, and
I lost grip of the leash as I reflexively broke my fall.

Muttley took the opportunity to attack a young black male
Lab to my left, and it was a very brutal attack. Janet and
the instructors tried to gain control, and as soon as I
could get to my feet I grabbed the leash and pulled him off.

That was the end of the class, and the other dog, Bernie,
was taken to an animal hospital for treatment. When everyone
had left, Janet counseled me about what should be done about
Muttley.

She said this was more than ordinary aggression, and only
intensive (and expensive) one on one training would have
any chance at working, and in any case, he was not suited
to group training.

She advised me that Muttley could be dangerous, and she
recommended that he be euthanized. "They can't all be saved".

snip

--------------

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote

snip

If I did not have to worry about my cat, I would probably
keep him, and I am certain I could avoid any more dangerous
episodes. I probably would not have taken him to obedience
classes at this time if that was not such a difficult issue,
and if people here had not essentially shamed me into doing so.

Then he would only be a bratty dog with a mind of his own,
but he would not have been identified as dangerous.

--------------------------

THAT'S quite a SUCCESS STORY, ain't it, janet?

BWEEEEEEAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

HOWEver, THAT AIN'T NUTHIN compared to the rest
of your own PERSONAL REAL LIFE SUCCESS STORIES:

From: J1Boss )
Subject: housebreaking in a multi level home
Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Date: 2002-06-27 03:30:11 PST

From: Rocky
Nessa wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

why does Franklin have to be on a leash?

I think that Franklin's been naughty.

and apparently pretty sneaky too - can't figure this one out
still!

FYI - He ingested a mystery sock. Hadn't done that in well over a
year. When he was a puppy we were very lucky - they went through
or came up.

We've done "sock work" with him leaving them alone, but mostly
are pretty conscientious about not making them available. The risk
is obviously too high. One of his littermates beat him to the punch
with the same surgery, and his great grandfather had this habit until
he died at age 12.

My MIL was visiting (sockless!) and since he wasn't with me every
waking moment as usual as a result, I can only imagine that the
sock presented itself somehow while she was with him.

He was a very, very sick dog. He had emergency surgery on Monday,
but was home by Tuesday - we lucked out that the sock had advanced
enough that they didn't need to cut the bowel. Once he was opened,
they were able to manipulate the sock out his rectum. He thinks he's
fine, so the leash is very necessary! He's got about a foot of staples
on his tummy, and this was a very expensive sock!

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

FRANKLIN and JANET, ACT II

From: J1Boss )
Subject: What can I do if I can't afford a behaviorist?
Date: 2002-06-27 05:20:30 PST

From: diddy
Some dogs are really adept at getting out of things,
even the impossible.

Yes indeed. I crated Franklin when I had to leave yesterday.
He's post surgical and needs to be confined and rest/kept safe.

He is used to crates, has not problem with them and does not
"escape" (mesh crates, wire crates, etc - he takes them all in
stride, whether strange places or at home).

When I got home, both dogs greeted me at the door. He had managed
to bend the clips on the end panel of his metal crate (General Cage
204)
and squeeze out the top/side of the end panel that has the door. The
door was securely closed.

THAT was NOT a good thing to do with a foot of staples in your
tummy.He hadn't done it before - but he's not his usual self obviously.
We won't be trying that again any time soon!

From: Janet B
Date: Fri, Mar 3 2006 6:27 pm

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 22:13:32 GMT, Robin Nuttall
, clicked their heels and said:

Here's the theory. The only people who think Jerry makes
sense are those with the same mental problems as Jerry.
I.e., it takes a loon to understand a loon.

I do believe you've hit the nail on the head, Robin.

Getting back to the subject line, I started using the e-collar with
Rudy today. He's hit adolescence and is so engrossed in munching
sticks, flirting with the Dobe bitch behind us, etc, that his recall
has become a bit inadequate.

Now then, I can go out to him, call him, and he's fine with that. He
comes, sits front, I food reward, and all is right with the world. Only
he really needs to come from the back of the yard with me at the back
door, 100'+ away. I tapped him on ~12 (Dogtra 1200) and he perked
up and recalled beautifully. Did it again at a point where he was in
the bushes and totally focused on something. He came happily, tail
wagging, and got a food reward as well.

Since then, he has just recalled, no tap given.

We'll be using it daily, especially at his most challenging times
of day (the post-dinner Dobe shmoozing). I'll be teaching it to
DH now, since Rudy rarely recalls to him in a reasonable amount
of time, and he handles it poorly.

We need to keep endearing the Rude-man to him after all!
--
Janet B

-----------------------

Date: Thurs, Dec 1 2005 12:31 pm
Email:

Janet B wrote:
On 30 Nov 2005 23:35:38 -0800, , clicked their
heels and said:

That is, except for a sock fetish that did almost
cost one of your dogs his life.

Not quite,

"Not quite" - what? "Not quite" a sock fetish,
or "not quite" almost killed your dog?

but thanks for playing.

You're always welcome, Janet. g

You really have no idea what you're talking about, so I'll leave it at that.

We were talking about the behavioral problems of your perfectly t
rained dogs, Janet. Or perhaps you don't consider sock eating as
a behavioral problem?

Good point. The truth is that you guys have no method;
you have only training tools.

"you guys"? You're lumping everyone in together?

No, not everyone - only those of you who do respond in a similar way.

interesting - very JH-like of you.

See? You're lumping together all of us who happen to
disagree with "you guys". It looks like this lumping
thing is a very human trait.

I'm a motivational trainer - does that help you?

No, not really - but your honest reply about
the choke collar some time ago did.

How have we failed our dogs?

For instance, by failing to make them
understand that socks are NOT food.

Ahhh, Lucy, socks are not treated as food or toys -
but you'll never quite understand.

Oh, do help me! How exactly ARE socks treated by a motivational
trainer? How do you convey the dog that thinks that socks are tasty
the idea that socks are not for eating?

You mean, something like a sock?

Nope. He doesn't steal socks and ignores socks in my presence.

But he doesn't seem to ignore them at all in your absence. So how do
you solve the problem when you're not there to prevent the dog to feast

on socks?

Do you cage the dog or the socks?

Well, does this mean that, in order to make a confident dog
to obey, you HAVE to hurt it, at some point - or doesn't it?

No.

That's nice to hear. So what do you do when the
confident dog chooses to disobey your orders?

Well, do tell, please, how people here train when
the dog wants something that the trainer doesn't
want. Like when the dog wants to eat the trainer's socks.

Fixated a bit Lucy?

Well, I do have a soft spot for your dog with a sock fetish.

He doesn't touch socks in my presence and not
because of any correction of any sort.

Smart dog! All that he has to do is wait until YOU ARE NOT THERE.
Then it's party time, right? Open season on socks. Janet, how do you
prevent the kids from leaving unsupervised socks in Franklin's
presence?

A breed and familial complusion when stressed is another ball of wax.

Could you elaborate, please? Is sock eating "a breed
and familial compulsion"? Sounds awesome!

Perhaps you should do some research.

Oh, I love to learn these things from you! Straight from the horse's
mouth, as they say - nothing like learning from someone else's direct
experience.

Lucy

Janet Boss
"Nice Getting Run Over for the Family Pet"
"Nice Abdominal Surgery fo the Family Pet"
"Nice Homeowners Insurance for the Family Pet
Owner that covers damaged caused to cars when
they run over your dog"

Subject: The crate escape - my brilliant puppy!

1 From: Janet B
Date: Wed, Apr 5 2006 7:44 am
Email: Janet B

After Rudy came to stay with us, I got tired of running into an open
crate door, so I bought a new crate, with a door that folds up and in.
"can't be opened from the inside" says the ad. I always looked at
these and hought "right", but for the last few months (yes, folks,
it's been 3.5 months) it has worked great.

Until Monday.

That's when Mr Smarty-pants decided he knew how to open it.
And greeted us at the door after 6+ hours of freedom.

A chewed wastebasket lid and a puddle inside the front door (he
loses it if very excited and yesterday morning I found evidence
that a smallish dog had apparently "visited" right outside my full
view front door) was all that was wrong.

So yesterday, when I left for a short errand, I made sure to
clip the door closed securely. And once again came home
to an unconfined puppy.

So, today, the crate will get clips on the door to ensure this doesn't
happen again. I need him to learn that he shouldn't let himself out.
But it looks like he's going to be allowed house freedom within a few
days, and since he'll be 9 months old on Monday, that'll be the day.

I'll take the next few days to put some shoes away and check out other
things he may be interested in, and get out the bitter apple. My house

is not exactly the neatest place in the world, and there's a lot of
stuff that may be too available and interesting. We shall see.

My puppy is growing up and too smart for his own good!
--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

On 6 Feb 2006 01:19:16 -0800,
"dallygirl" , clicked their heels and said:

janet, yes unfortunatly i have. i joined a mother and daughter duo
training group and i am still kicking my arse over it i have since
learnt (and anyone new to dogs please take note!) they have no
qualifications only their own experience.

What exactly does that mean?

its because of them i am busting a gut to get qualified and to join the apdt.

"credentials" only mean something if the issuing organization is
recognized as THE authority. The American Medical Association, The
American Bar Association - things like that. There is no "whatever"
dog association that licenses dog trainers.

i saw a massive negative difference in my dogs behaviour when on the
lead and i didnt yank or pull i never would no matter what the
'trainers' said.

What exactly were you doing with the lead that caused a negative
behavior? Do you not use a lead when training? Not on city streets?

i guess i was as distressed as my dog.

I'm pretty sure you are the only one who was distressed and you
transmitted that to your dog.

i took a dog out of this real nasty hell hole. the lady had set her
self up as a rescue then had about 20 dogs running free in her back
garden and it broke down to chaos.i took out a young lab female who
was so scared she wouldnt climb into my car and i wasnt going to force
her so i just sat next to her but on my tail gate. the 'rescue' woman
growled and grabbed the dog at the back of the neck and a lump of flesh
at the rump and threw her into my car.

What on earth does that have to do with properly using a variety of
training tools? So far, you've equated using choke collars with
people who enjoy drop-kicking dogs.

with ppl such as this working with dogs i want to show a 'better way'.
i don't refer to them when i'm talking to the person on the street as
'tools of horror' but i do give them some tips on a nicer way.

When 150# Cujo is trying to eat the dog net door,
what "nicer way" do you employ?

the thing is, you put one of those around your neck, be it choke
prong or electric and then tell me you want to keep using them.

My neck is very different from a dog's neck. I have no problem with a
choke or prong on my neck - I would respond accordingly. As far as
electric, I have had a ton of PT at times, and the electricity has
been a godsend.

ok i am bent over ~ no pointy toes please, but form an orderly line to
kick my arse..............i am braced

Nope - don't believe in kicking. But I do use a variety of collars
when training dogs. I'm not a big fan of CHAIN chokes, because I
don't find them easy to fit properly. I prefer nylon slip collars in
general, will never connect a leash to a buckle ID collar, and find
prong collars to be very, very useful training tools.

Rudy is going to start learning the e-collar this week.
I'm sure you'll NOT hear screams from across the pond.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine

rec.pets.dogs: Mastiffs Breed-FAQ Mike McBee Dog info 0 May 21st 06 05:23 AM
rec.pets.dogs: Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers Breed-FAQ Mike Slepian Dog info 0 May 21st 06 05:22 AM
White Bull Terrier Admin Dog breeds 27 September 6th 05 01:53 PM
White Bull Terrier AnimalBehaviorForensicSciencesResearchLaboratory@H Dog behavior 1 September 6th 05 01:39 PM
Potty Training Shichon gats Dog behavior 30 February 3rd 05 11:03 PM