deeply cut k9 pad

Old November 30th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Scott

Default deeply cut k9 pad

I have a k9 who cut her front heel pad yesterday. The cut appears to be
almost the full depth of the pad and is about an inch long. The cut is
clean. I have cleaned it, applied some ointment, and lightly wrapped it
to keep it clean. In 24 hours I have changed the wrapping at least three
times. I am also limiting the use of the foot. Today there appears to
be little or no swelling to the foot, no noticeable inflammation, and no
change in eating habits. There is little or no bleeding. She is
content to rest.

She has cut a pad before and with my same treatment everything has been
fine. My concern this time is the depth of the cut. I am wondering if
pads ever need to be stitched. (I understand that the vet would give
antibiotics.) This k9 is such that the vet would need to put her out in
order to really get a close look. I am watching her closely for fever
or other changes, but everything seems to be fine. I believe her immune
system is in excellent condition.

Any comments?

Thanks, scott

Old December 1st 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Scott" wrote in message
My concern this time is the depth of the cut. I am wondering if
pads ever need to be stitched.

.........check recent posts for similar thread - superglue seems to be a
common remedy.