tugging

Old December 1st 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

Default tugging

Any thoughts on encouraging tugging? I admit that I don't do it,
because my arms and back just don't like it! I sometimes have a toy
that the dogs can play tug with, with each other, but none of them are
safe to leave around, so it's not often.

Rudy is a very passive/submissive dog to other dogs, so he backs off
from challenge. He's easy to get charged up (ok, he does a good job
on his own!), but not an eager tugger.

I use food for runback reward/motivation in flyball, with both
Franklin and Lucy. I started it by default with Rudy, but I'd prefer
not to use it. I brought a tug toy to practice last night, and
although he tugged the first few times/retrieved it when thrown at the
end of a jump chute, he lost interest. Do I just need to bring it out
daily and get him tugging?

One of my teammates has a nifty little tug that holds treats. I think
I may order one and give that a shot - the best of both worlds? Or a
transition to tug-only?

Any favorite (and sturdy!) tug suggestions?
--
Janet Boss
Old December 1st 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

Janet B said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I use food for runback reward/motivation in flyball, with
both Franklin and Lucy. I started it by default with Rudy,
but I'd prefer not to use it. I brought a tug toy to
practice last night, and although he tugged the first few
times/retrieved it when thrown at the end of a jump chute,
he lost interest. Do I just need to bring it out daily and
get him tugging?

One way to get him interested in the toy is to play with the
other dogs with it.

I like an action reward in agility - something tossed or
tugged. Food, IMO, shuts the dog down temporarily, even if he
scarfs it. I use food as lures and event marker rewards, but
finish with a toy. While Friday is somewhat food-motivated,
he's even more tug-motivated.

If Rudy really likes flyball, reserve the toy for only
flyball. I use Friday's braided slip leash for tug - it's
only brought out for agility.

Old December 1st 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 1 Dec 2006 19:41:06 GMT, Rocky , clicked their
heels and said:

One way to get him interested in the toy is to play with the
other dogs with it.

Pretty much what I thought. Just means I need to find a safe place to
keep it when "off duty"!

I like an action reward in agility - something tossed or
tugged. Food, IMO, shuts the dog down temporarily, even if he
scarfs it. I use food as lures and event marker rewards, but
finish with a toy. While Friday is somewhat food-motivated,
he's even more tug-motivated.

I think you're right. I had started with tugs with both F & L, but
went to food for a few reasons. My hand got nailed more than once
(can't toss the toy in flyball). Lucy needed something more powerful
in order to ignore the passing dog. Squeeze cheese did it for her.
Franklin loves his goose, but would drop the ball when he knew I had
it (no matter how well hidden). He has a good "hold it" in all other
circumstances, but just couldn't engage his brain to do that while
racing back, it seemed. I could have worked on it harder, but the
food was an easy fix.

We're not up to actual balls with Rudy yet, so we still have time to
play around with what works best.

If Rudy really likes flyball, reserve the toy for only
flyball. I use Friday's braided slip leash for tug - it's
only brought out for agility.

Thanks - I agree with this as well. Right now, he loves the jump
chute (just because he loves to run!) and the box turn work, which
yields a food reward. Maybe I'll try a few different tugs and see
if he has a preference.
--
Janet Boss