getting a dog to chew a tablet

Old December 1st 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Default getting a dog to chew a tablet

Roxy hates her Proin chewable tablet. She only ate the first one and I've
been trying to find creative ways to get them in her, including wrapping it
in cheese (unsuccessful) and grinding it into a powder and mixing it with
peanut butter (somewhat successful, but she didn't eat all of it). I've
resorted to shoving them down her throat, but I hate to do that because
they are so large.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

--
Lynne
Old December 1st 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:48:50 -0600, Lynne
, clicked their heels and said:

Roxy hates her Proin chewable tablet. She only ate the first one and I've
been trying to find creative ways to get them in her, including wrapping it
in cheese (unsuccessful) and grinding it into a powder and mixing it with
peanut butter (somewhat successful, but she didn't eat all of it). I've
resorted to shoving them down her throat, but I hate to do that because
they are so large.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I just dump it on the food in the bowl (or is it that I'm adding
love?!?!?!) and Rudy eats it. Of course, all 3 eat vitamins and
whatever meds they may need, in the same manner. Have you tried
putting it in with her food?

--
Janet Boss
Old December 1st 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

Lynne wrote:
Roxy hates her Proin chewable tablet. She only ate the first one and I've
been trying to find creative ways to get them in her, including wrapping it
in cheese (unsuccessful) and grinding it into a powder and mixing it with
peanut butter (somewhat successful, but she didn't eat all of it). I've
resorted to shoving them down her throat, but I hate to do that because
they are so large.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

When we've had dogs on them, I dipped the tablets in cream cheese. You
could to the same thing with peanut butter - - don't grind it up, just
dip the tablet in. That's usually enough to hide the apparently
unpleasant or suspicious smell and most dogs will then chow the things
down.

It's puzzling to me why all these 'beef flavored' dog medications - -
Proin, Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Previcox - - are all rejected by so many
dogs.

Mustang Sally

Old December 1st 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:53:14 GMT, Janet B
wrote:

I just dump it on the food in the bowl (or is it that I'm adding
love?!?!?!) and Rudy eats it. Of course, all 3 eat vitamins and
whatever meds they may need, in the same manner. Have you tried
putting it in with her food?

Yep. She picks it up and spits it out on the floor, then continues eating.
She's a brat!

--
Lynne
Old December 1st 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:53:17 GMT, "sighthounds & siberians"
wrote:

When we've had dogs on them, I dipped the tablets in cream cheese. You
could to the same thing with peanut butter - - don't grind it up, just
dip the tablet in. That's usually enough to hide the apparently
unpleasant or suspicious smell and most dogs will then chow the things
down.

I did that with peanut butter, too, but she licked all the peanut butter
off and left the tablet. That's when I resorted to mashing the tablet and
mixing it with the PB.

It's puzzling to me why all these 'beef flavored' dog medications - -
Proin, Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Previcox - - are all rejected by so many
dogs.

Yeah, I don't get it either. She'll eat her Interceptor though. Weirdo
dog.

--
Lynne
Old December 1st 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On 1 Dec 2006 11:53:17 -0800, "sighthounds & siberians"
, clicked their heels and said:

It's puzzling to me why all these 'beef flavored' dog medications - -
Proin, Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Previcox - - are all rejected by so many
dogs.

I'm really lucky. My dogs will eat anything I hand to them, including
Immodium, Benadryl, etc. I toss large flax oil and glucosamine and
Ester C tablets on every meal, and they never balk at it - I don't
think it's ever occured to them!

On another note - Roxy's taking a whole tablet? Interesting. Rudy
takes 1/2, twice a day.

--
Janet Boss
Old December 1st 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:56:26 GMT, Lynne
wrote:

Yep. She picks it up and spits it out on the floor, then continues
eating. She's a brat!

I should note that when I began to switch her from puppy to adult kibble,
she picked out the puppy kibble piece by piece and dumped it on the floor.
She would have no part of the gradual transition.

--
Lynne
Old December 1st 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 01 Dec 2006 20:00:30 GMT, Janet B
wrote:

On another note - Roxy's taking a whole tablet? Interesting. Rudy
takes 1/2, twice a day.

I thought that was interesting, too, but my vet insisted (though she is
only 34 lbs). My vet isn't real confidence inspiring. Maybe I'll cut her
back to 1/2 tablet twice a day and then I won't feel so bad about cramming
them down her throat (with love).

--
Lynne
Old December 1st 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

wrote:

On another note - Roxy's taking a whole tablet? Interesting. Rudy
takes 1/2, twice a day.

I thought that was interesting, too, but my vet insisted (though she is
only 34 lbs). My vet isn't real confidence inspiring. Maybe I'll cut her
back to 1/2 tablet twice a day and then I won't feel so bad about cramming
them down her throat (with love).

That does seem like a lot - my greyhounds took one tablet at 65+ lb.
There are a coupleof different tablet strengths, though - - what's the
strength of the one she's taking? If you don't have the original
bottle, you might see if you can get dosage info from the internet. It
might be easier to disguise 1/2 a tablet in cream cheese or peanut
butter, too.

Mustang Sally

Old December 1st 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Fri, 01 Dec 2006 20:13:18 GMT, "sighthounds & siberians"
wrote:

That does seem like a lot - my greyhounds took one tablet at 65+ lb.
There are a coupleof different tablet strengths, though - - what's the
strength of the one she's taking? If you don't have the original
bottle, you might see if you can get dosage info from the internet. It
might be easier to disguise 1/2 a tablet in cream cheese or peanut
butter, too.

The tablet is 50 mg and the bottle says "1 to 2 mg/kg every 12 hours." So
Roxy, at 34 lbs/15.42 kg should be getting 15 to 30 mg every 12 hours max.
25 mg or half a tablet is on the high end and he had her on 50! Sheese,
yet more proof my vet's a dim bulb. (Yes, yes, yes I am in the process of
getting a new one.) I'm so glad I posted this question!

--
Lynne