Rut Ro

Old December 4th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

Default Rut Ro

montana wildhack wrote in

On 2006-12-04 12:01:05 -0500, diddy said:

I thought they were a month away! You got to be joking!

Jokes on us!

What the heck do we do for a whelping box?????

Are these premies?

WTF????

Good thing you found out about the pregnancy what....about an hour or two
ago, or you'd be SO surprised by this. Cuz now you're all prepared, right?

Wow, you poor thing. Nothing like having a crapload of stuff thrust on you
all at once.

Tara
Old December 4th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Tara" wrote in message:

Good thing you found out about the pregnancy what....about an hour or two
ago, or you'd be SO surprised by this. Cuz now you're all prepared, right?

My friend who now has Max the PoopEater (he was returned, BTW) took in a dog
who was rail thin, but had a funky looking belly. The PetsMart vet said
she's loaded with worms. She was dewormed (yes, she was loaded) but no
change in appearance. I had jokingly said that if the vet hadn't seen her
already, I'd think she was pregnant. She came back one day from work to
find one puppy out, one more on the way.

The litter had 7 or 8 pups, of which she kept one. All the rest found good
homes. Her dog is now 4 years old.

Suja

Old December 4th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

"Suja" wrote in
:

"Tara" wrote in message:

Good thing you found out about the pregnancy what....about an hour or
two ago, or you'd be SO surprised by this. Cuz now you're all
prepared, right?

My friend who now has Max the PoopEater (he was returned, BTW)

Why why why why????

took in
a dog who was rail thin, but had a funky looking belly. The PetsMart
vet said she's loaded with worms. She was dewormed (yes, she was
loaded) but no change in appearance. I had jokingly said that if the
vet hadn't seen her already, I'd think she was pregnant. She came
back one day from work to find one puppy out, one more on the way.

The litter had 7 or 8 pups, of which she kept one. All the rest found
good homes. Her dog is now 4 years old.

Damn. The deworming didn't hurt the pups at all?

I really haven't dealt much with pregnant dogs. It seems like its really
hard for vets to tell when they're pregnant. I never knew thay'd have such
a tough time knowing that.

Tara
Old December 4th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 13:48:26 -0500, "Suja"
wrote:

A few reasons. Although he is 7, he is not all that mellow and laid back
without exercise. New owner has Parkinsons, and having a hard time
controlling him. I've walked him, and had no problems, but he seems to
respond to no-nonsense really well, and this guy does not seem to be able to
do that. Poopy has arthritis, and was having a hard time with stairs. The
new house was a McMansion, and therefore had flights of stairs, and it was
clearly difficult for him. Poopy got into the trash (which the new owner
was informed about ahead of time), the owner stuck his hand in his mouth to
remove the trash, and got chomped on. The guy was *really* upset because he
could've done that with his previous dog, and not suffered for it.

Damn, that's a shame, that he was returned.

I really haven't dealt much with pregnant dogs. It seems like its really
hard for vets to tell when they're pregnant. I never knew thay'd have such
a tough time knowing that.

Yeah, I didn't know that either. You'd think it would be obvious, but maybe
not.

I think I missed something. It *is* hard for vets to tell when dogs
are pregnant? I thought it was relatively easy to tell, certainly
after a couple of weeks when the pups can be palpated.

Mustang Sally

Old December 4th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Tara" wrote in message:

Why why why why????

A few reasons. Although he is 7, he is not all that mellow and laid back
without exercise. New owner has Parkinsons, and having a hard time
controlling him. I've walked him, and had no problems, but he seems to
respond to no-nonsense really well, and this guy does not seem to be able to
do that. Poopy has arthritis, and was having a hard time with stairs. The
new house was a McMansion, and therefore had flights of stairs, and it was
clearly difficult for him. Poopy got into the trash (which the new owner
was informed about ahead of time), the owner stuck his hand in his mouth to
remove the trash, and got chomped on. The guy was *really* upset because he
could've done that with his previous dog, and not suffered for it.

My friend is really funny. For a while there, it was 'Poopy face has GOT TO
go!' When he left, she missed the old guy.

Damn. The deworming didn't hurt the pups at all?

No. I believe that breeders deworm the bitch half way through the
pregnancy.

Old December 4th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

montana wildhack wrote in

On 2006-12-04 13:32:12 -0500, sighthounds & siberians said:

I think I missed something. It *is* hard for vets to tell when dogs
are pregnant? I thought it was relatively easy to tell, certainly
after a couple of weeks when the pups can be palpated.

We went to the vet about three weeks ago for shots. I didn't
specifically ask if she was pregnant then, so we didn't get an answer
to an unasked question.

We've been feeling her belly, but really did not feel anything except
it was quite firm.. The only clues to us were her big butt and
developed nipples. But when we walked into the vet, they didn't palpate
her and pronounce her pregnant and they couldn't tell by looking..

Of course, the vet had questions for us that we couldn't answer because
we didn't have posession of the dog.

Ah, thank god then. I had thought Vets could tell pretty easily as well,
but with this suprise pregnancy (I thought she had been seen since the
question arose, my mistake!) as well as Suja's story, I got worried.

Never dealt with preggeries in dogs....and Annie's coming of age and is as
yet unspayed. Was about to put pants and a chastity belt on her.

Tara