Rut Ro

Old December 4th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

Default Rut Ro

montana wildhack wrote in

Jokes on us!

Good grief! That might help to explain her big butt, though.

What the heck do we do for a whelping box?????

A cardboard box or laundry basket should be fine for now. Carboard
will be warmer. The box should be roomy enough to keep Neo from
wallowing on top of the pups, but small enough to keep everyone
cozy and warm. Plain newsprint is toasty liner, and easily
replaced for cleaning, but unless you're an artist you aren't
likely to have any lying around. Printed newspaper is not good,
because the inks can be toxic. Old towels, blankets, or sheets
should work well, but will need to be kept clean and dry.

--
Shelly

My business is circumference.
-- Emily Dickenson
Old December 4th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
DebbieS

Shelly wrote:
Printed newspaper is not good,
because the inks can be toxic.

Hi Shelly!

I'm fairly certain that black newsprint is okay, it's the colored stuff
you need to stay away from. Newsprint is slick, doesn't give much
traction which isn't good for joints. Most of my breeder friends use
cloth, and keep the washer going almost 24/7. One friend cut rubber
stall mats to fit wading pools, rough side up, then litters it with
purchased shop rags that have been bleached several times, and rinse a
bunch more. She puts on disposable gloves, then just grabs the ones
that are soiled, tossing them into the washer. Should I ever lose my
sanity and decide to breed a litter, I think I'd go that route.

Scritches to Ms. Brown.

Debbie
who'd much rather buy or adopt

Old December 4th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

"DebbieS" wrote in
oups.com:

Hi Shelly!

Hi yourself!

I'm fairly certain that black newsprint is okay, it's the
colored stuff you need to stay away from.

Black can cause problems, too, especially in terms of contact
dermatitis. I've gotten enough rashes from it that I'd steer clear
of using it with newborn puppies.

Newsprint is slick, doesn't give much traction which isn't good
for joints.

Yep. It's not a perfect solution, but I'd use it in an emergency,
until something better can be figured out. Mostly, because I know
it's *very* warm and it's something I've always got sitting around.

Most of my breeder friends use cloth, and keep the washer going
almost 24/7.

That's what we used when I was growing up and our cats and dogs
were allowed to breed willy-nilly. Though, most of the cats seemed
to prefer having their kittens in my bed. Ugh. That was a little
too much "miracle of birth," I thought.

One friend cut rubber stall mats to fit wading pools,
rough side up, then litters it with purchased shop rags that
have been bleached several times, and rinse a bunch more. She
puts on disposable gloves, then just grabs the ones that are
soiled, tossing them into the washer. Should I ever lose my
sanity and decide to breed a litter, I think I'd go that route.

That sounds like a pretty good solution. And, it's no grosser than
cloth diapers, which I've had *more* than my fair share of dealing
with, considering.

Scritches to Ms. Brown.

Thank you! They have been delivered and were much appreciated by
the little brat.

Debbie
who'd much rather buy or adopt

Amen!

--
Shelly

We walked 5 miles backwards to get where we are today.
-- Melora Creager