Puppy Links

Old December 6th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

Default Puppy Links

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 23:33:33 -0500, montana wildhack
, clicked their heels and said:

I'm trying to quickly figure out what the heck we're supposed to do
with puppies over the holidays in potentially deep (for puppies) snow.

We've never had puppies to raise to 7 or 8 weeks.

Many states have 8 week old laws. As far as snow? You shovel! Build
a canopy! Having had to do this so an adult dog could go in the yard
(3' of accumulated snow), even though the patio had FAR less snow (but
there's patio under there - I can't go THERE!), it's just something we
do.......

--
Janet Boss
Old December 6th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Shovel for puppies and infirm dogs, but one of the things I look forward
to after a heavy snow fall is seeing Cubbe swim through it. She seems
to enjoy it too. She sort of pounces and sinks, turns and floats. It
is hard to describe. Eventually she has enough footing to pee-- which
melts the snow, which gives her more room.

--Lia

Old December 6th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Janet B" wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 23:33:33 -0500, montana wildhack
, clicked their heels and said:

I'm trying to quickly figure out what the heck we're supposed to do
with puppies over the holidays in potentially deep (for puppies) snow.

We've never had puppies to raise to 7 or 8 weeks.

Many states have 8 week old laws. As far as snow? You shovel! Build
a canopy! Having had to do this so an adult dog could go in the yard
(3' of accumulated snow), even though the patio had FAR less snow (but
there's patio under there - I can't go THERE!), it's just something we
do.......

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

============

I heard not to remove pups from their mother sooner than eight weeks also.
Here is an article I have regarding pups.

Age to take Puppy Home

What is the right age to take a puppy home?

8 weeks is the minimum age pups should leave for new homes. Puppies
go through five critical periods...and it's very important that they remain
with their mother and littermates until 7-1/2 to 8 weeks of age.

1. During the first 3 weeks of life puppies have next to no mental
capacity and their basic needs are provided by their mother. Little or no
handling by humans is required (assuming all is well with mother and
puppies). But handling at this time will go a long way in development of
the pups.

2. About the 4th week puppies become aware of other living beings
and have very slight trainability. This is an extremely critical period and
puppies should not be removed from their mother or littermates. Introduction
to humans should be started--but carefully controlled.

3. Weeks 5 through 7 they begin socialization within the litter
and also with humans. At this point they are capable of responding to voices
and to recognize people. Training by their mother is in progress and they
are becoming aware of the differences between human and canine
socialization.

4. During the 8th through 12 weeks puppies are removed from
littermates and mother. They require human socialization, love and security.
Play with children should be well supervised. They are capable of learning
simple training such as Come-Sit-Stay-No. It is important that children or
other animals not injure puppy -- either accidentally or maliciously.
Introduction to people is important but should be closely supervised.
Gradually expose to loud noises such as autos, washing machine, vacuum, etc.
Puppy Kindergarten classes during this time are very important.

5. At 13-16 weeks puppy's mental capacity is fully developed and
needs experience. During this time puppy needs love, attention,
socialization, discipline and security. Puppy will also try to establish
itself as the dominant one. Your puppy is now capable of undergoing formal
obedience training -- and can adopt a good or bad (positive or negative)
attitude about training so please select your trainer with great care!
Praise and reward for correct behavioral response will go a long way in
training your puppy!

It's really important for a puppy to remain with it's mother and
littermates as outlined above. During this time your puppy will learn about
pack heirarchy, bite inhibition and proper social behavior within the pack.
Taking a puppy home before 7-1/2 to 8 weeks of age really deprives the puppy
of much needed training by mom and littermates and will make your job of
training much more difficult.

Old December 6th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 11:45:24 -0600, diddy
wrote:

This is the type of puppy pan you will need. If you cannot borrow one, the
$11 is worth the headaches
"http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002H3OXG/nextag-kitchen-
20/ref=nosim"

Wait! Don't buy one. I think I have one or two of those in the attic
- - used to feed my cats canned food from them, now I use smaller
ones. If I still have them, you're welcome to them.

Mustang Sally