Need help with severe tail chewer

Old December 6th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default Need help with severe tail chewer

Hi all - I really need some way to keep my Great Dane from chewing his
tail. I've tried bandaging it, applying bitter apple / orange to the
bandage - it usually works, but every now and then he chews it anyway,
straight through the bandage and re-opens the same sores over and over
again. His wounds are horrible, and every time they start to heal, he
goes after them again.

is there anything else I can put on his tail that might prevent him
from getting at it, and will actually stay attached and not fall off?
Foam or rubber tubing of some sort? What would work reliably?

The worst part is, he mainly does this when I'm not there or when I'm
sleeping. I can't be awake and with him 24 hours a day or I would.

I tried putting an Elizibithian collar on him once and he went bezerk,
so I don't think that is a good solution. But I'm running out of
alternatives.

I'm almost thinking of muzzling him when I'm not there, but then he
won't be able to drink water etc. so I'm not sure how that could realy
work.

Old December 6th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

wrote in message:

Hi all - I really need some way to keep my Great Dane from chewing his
tail.

Boy, this is a tough one. Tails are really pretty difficult to bandage in
the first place, and it doesn't help that your dog is chewing it off. This
is what Linda Arndt recommends for 'happy tails' in Danes, but I have no
idea if it would work in your situation:
http://www.greatdanelady.com/article...ing_a_tail.htm Would it help to
put the Elizabethan collar around his middle (facing his behind), so it
would be harder for him to access? A muzzle is probably the only way to
make absolutely sure he doesn't chew, but I am not sure if it can be left on
a dog unsupervised, especially if you are gone for extended periods of time.

Going with the idea that a tired dog is a good dog, make sure that your dog
has plenty of exercise (both mental and physical). He's less likely to try
and chew stuff if he is passed out from being tired.

Suja

Old December 7th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

That's my thoughts to. I would have a skin scraping done to rule out
anything and if that's clear then go with a diet designed for allergies. We
just went rounds with Lady chewing her self raw. After switching to Duck &
Potatoe for a month we narrowed it down to the canned Alpo that she was
given. No more switching dog food for her.

Celeste

On 2006-12-06 15:01:30 -0500, "Suja" said:

He's less likely to try
and chew stuff if he is passed out from being tired.

Might there be any allergies involved?

Old December 7th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shadow Walker

Has the dog been to the vet for this? Is it allergies to food, fleas,
plants, shampoos or other environmental things? Could it be a stress related
action? How long has this baby been doing it is it sudden been years, weeks,
months? These are things you need to talk to your vet about if you have not
already done so.

Shadow Walker

ups.com...

fyi on cold tail Cate Dog behavior 0 May 28th 04 08:45 PM
fyi on cold tail Cate Dog behavior 0 May 28th 04 08:45 PM
CCCQ View on Tail docking Alpha Dog behavior 9 October 1st 03 02:14 PM
CCCQ View on Tail docking Alpha Dog behavior 0 October 1st 03 01:09 PM
CCCQ View on Tail docking Alpha Dog behavior 0 October 1st 03 01:09 PM