Bark Busters?

Old December 7th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

Default Bark Busters?

I'm curious to know what anyone here has to say about them, good, bad, or
indifferent.

The curiosity is sparked A, because there was a dog on the Russell Rescue
site whose blurb said she had a contract with Bark Busters, and B, I chatted
yesterday with someone who works for an advertising agency who has been
approached by them as a potential client. She asked me if I'd heard of the
company, and I said "Heard of, but that's about it."

Old December 7th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 19:34:21 -0500, "Sionnach" ,
clicked their heels and said:

I'm curious to know what anyone here has to say about them, good, bad, or
indifferent.

The curiosity is sparked A, because there was a dog on the Russell Rescue
site whose blurb said she had a contract with Bark Busters, and B, I chatted
yesterday with someone who works for an advertising agency who has been
approached by them as a potential client. She asked me if I'd heard of the
company, and I said "Heard of, but that's about it."

UGH - is that enough? "draw the turtle on this matchbook cover and
you too can be an artist. or dog training expert. take your pick."

--
Janet Boss
Old December 7th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Sionnach" wrote in message:

I'm curious to know what anyone here has to say about them, good, bad, or
indifferent.

I've heard both good and bad. They're a franchise, so the experience is
probably dependent on the competence of the franchisee. I believe they give
some sort of lifetime guarantee (on the behaviors they 'fixed'). I heard
from someone who was having problems and had it fixed. And heard from
someone who was having problems that appeared to have fixed,
reappeared/appeared in a slightly different form, and then couldn't get
fixed, because they kept doing the same old thing, and expecting different
results. Eventually, they stopped returning her calls.

Suja

Old December 7th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

"Suja" wrote in
:

I believe
they give some sort of lifetime guarantee (on the behaviors they
'fixed').

snip

Eventually, they stopped returning her
calls.

And that right there is the Lie of the Lifetime Guarantee.

When I was first apprenticing under trainers, I worked under several who
offered this "lifetime guarantee". All of them, to a person, would
eventually decide that "enough was enough" and would stop returning phone
calls if they felt they had spent enough time on a certain dog or certain
problem. But the fact that they had clearly failed to provide that
guarantee to a *number* of clients never stopped any of them from using
that sales pitch on all new clients.

Tara
Old December 7th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

"Sionnach" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I'm curious to know what anyone here has to say about them,
good, bad, or indifferent.

I've a GR, comes here every Thursday, and is a mild dog.
Regular complaints about jumping up and cetera. A regular good
natured but as yet untrained goofy adolescent male Golden
Retriever.

About six months ago, they used Barkbusters to deal with next
door dog fence issues, mostly barking. The owners now do a lot
of "grrring" at their dog, with which I disagree. Dog jumps,
owner GGRRS. Dog doesn't sit, owner GGRRS.

Their Barkbusters training came at me out of the blue because
this GR works well here. The owners like BB because of quick
results, so I wasn't going to knock them, though the growling at
the dog struck me as kind of weird. I'm not sure whether this
is a Barkbuster procedure or the owner's interpretation of it,
so I won't comment other than that I think it's stupid.