Golden Retriever lazy for past week - winter effect ?

Old December 10th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Golden Retriever lazy for past week - winter effect ?

Hi All

I am new to this group - I saw some great discussions and thought I
would ask my question. We have a Golden Retriever (female, 6.5 yrs old,
79 pounds) named JO. Usually she wakes up around 6 to 7 AM, comes
upstairs and wakes us up - and we give her food at around 7 am. This
has been the routine for the past 4 months we have had her (yeah, we
adopted her 4 months back). But for the past week, seems like she is
getting a bit lazy (like us . Even at 8'o clock she is just
downstairs. Even if we call her, she just wags her tail and continues
lying down. And we end up feeding her around 8'o clock (instead of 7'o
clock). But after we wake up, she is active as usual (playing tug,
walking etc). She is eating food, peeing, pooping as usual - no problem
there.

Is this something we need to be concerned about ? Or do dog's sleeping
patterns/activity levels change slightly in winter ?

Thanx and regards
niruandpradeep

Old December 10th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 10 Dec 2006 08:48:17 -0800, , clicked their
heels and said:

[...]

My female dog would stay in bed forever, if we did!

Your new dog is pretty heavy. Have you been able to get any weight
off her since you adopted her? Too much weight (and she's a good ~14#
overweight) can make anyone a bit lazy!

--
Janet Boss
Old December 14th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Raj

Thanx Janet and others for responses. Yeah, we are getting weight off
her. She was 95 pounds when we adopted her 4 months back, now she is 75
(yesterday's weighing) - we are planning to continue the reduced
food/more exercise routine for longer.

Thanx
N&P

Old December 14th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 14 Dec 2006 07:29:20 -0800, "Raj" ,
clicked their heels and said:

Yeah, we are getting weight off
her. She was 95 pounds when we adopted her 4 months back, now she is 75
(yesterday's weighing) - we are planning to continue the reduced
food/more exercise routine for longer.

Good for you! She'll be so much better off because of it. I do
Golden rescue. I would say that 9 out of 10 are grossly overweight.
People seem to think food = love, and don't have a clue what love
actually is!

--
Janet Boss
Old December 14th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:03:33 GMT, Janet B
wrote:

People seem to think food = love, and don't have a clue what love
actually is!

wait wait WAIT! I thought the pfoley said we must add love to food.
Doesn't that increase the caloric value?

So confusing.

--
Lynne
Old December 15th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 12:03:33 -0500, Janet B
wrote:

On 14 Dec 2006 07:29:20 -0800, "Raj" ,
clicked their heels and said:

Yeah, we are getting weight off
her. She was 95 pounds when we adopted her 4 months back, now she is 75
(yesterday's weighing) - we are planning to continue the reduced
food/more exercise routine for longer.

Good for you! She'll be so much better off because of it. I do
Golden rescue. I would say that 9 out of 10 are grossly overweight.
People seem to think food = love, and don't have a clue what love
actually is!

You'll be happy to hear that Stuart, the GR who belongs to my
daughter's best friend, is not nearly the blimp that he used to be.
They used to use the "he's really fluffy" excuse. I didn't argue, but
said that it was good he wasn't fat because it is really hard on dogs
to carry extra weight and why. They started walking him more and
feeding him less. They also found out that he loves one of my dogs
even though he tends to hate most dogs. So he has gone from sitting
pretty much all day to coming over when his owner comes to play with
my daughter and wrestling and chasing in our backyard with his new
best friend. It was funny at first because between his weight and his
lack of conditioning, he could chase or wrestle for about 10 seconds
and then he'd be panting and exhausted but now that he is thinner he
can have some real fun. That was a huge object lesson for his owner,
who has continued to monitor food and exercise and rejoice in his
increasing play ability.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,

Need advice on buying Golden Retriever pup ( age) midwesthills Dog breeds 6 May 5th 06 03:03 AM
How to stop Golden Retriever from eating POOP?? Ken Hartz Dog behavior 0 January 26th 04 02:43 AM
Sick Golden Retriever Bob Dog health 6 October 12th 03 04:56 PM
Sick Golden Retriever Bob Dog health 0 October 11th 03 04:43 PM
Need Help Golden Retriever Rescue Karen Dog breeds 6 July 4th 03 01:14 AM