Training "hysterical" dogs

Old December 11th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Training "hysterical" dogs

I've been handling and training dogs (my own, not professionally) for
over 50 years, and know them pretty well. Most of my experience is with
relatively calm, focused retrievers and field hunting dogs, however. I
need a tip here.

My daughter and son in law have never had a dog before, and of course
have ZERO training experience, although they've tried to read some
books and learn about it. They're in their low 20's, just newly married
kids.

They have an 8 month old, highly bred, male Welsh Corgi, and have tried
the "dog training book" techniques with no luck, of course. The dog
knows commands, but of course he just ignores them. I want to give them
a few tips, but one problem with this dog is that he is one of those
ULTRA high energy animals.

Every time we walk into the house, he is just HYSTERICAL, barking and
writhing and twisting and jumping, trying to play, just completely,
totally oblivious to everything around him, and of course giving him
commands is an exercise in futility; he doesn't even know you're there.
They're tried holding him until he is calm, then gradually releasing
him, but the instant they release him, he explodes, and the first thing
he does is home in on the nearest person and jump all over them.

I've never worked with this kind of dog personality before, but I'm
sure most of you know what I'm describing here. He jumps from one
behavior to the next so fast, you don't even have time to respond. By
the time you open your mouth to say "no," he's stopped doing that and
he's doing something else. You know what I mean.

I don't expect specific training instructions, but if any of you could
share some basic, general principles for working with these
"hysterical" dogs, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ron M.

Old December 11th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article . com,
wrote:
I don't expect specific training instructions, but if any of you could
share some basic, general principles for working with these
"hysterical" dogs, it would be greatly appreciated.

1) more exercise, 2) waiting for the dog to settle down and
pay attention, and rewarding him when he does, and 3) more
exercise. They need to be able to outwait the dog, and
granted that it may be really frustrating for them at
first. But the dog needs to learn that it's rewarding to
settle down and focus on its people.

Old December 11th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey

wrote :
They have an 8 month old, highly bred, male Welsh Corgi, and have tried
the "dog training book" techniques with no luck, of course.

'tis the season to give handy-dandy gift certificates to training classes,
y'know. What you describe seems completely within the realm of normal
adolescent Corgi behavior, particularly normal for a pent-up
understimulated Corgi (as has been already pointed out).

The advantage to training classes is that it's possible to get hands-on,
in-person help. Training classes can also work as impromptu support
groups, for them as needs such. The downside is that absolutely anyone can
hang out a "Dog Trainer" sign and take your money, so finding an
appropriate class and instructor may take a bit more skill than opening the
business directory to "D" for Dog.

...but one problem with this dog is that he is one of those
ULTRA high energy animals.

Heh. Some of us consider this a feature, not a problem.

They're tried holding him until he is calm, then gradually releasing
him, but the instant they release him, he explodes, and the first thing
he does is home in on the nearest person and jump all over them.

Y'know, I've found that jumping up is really difficult to do if the dog's
neck has a collar attached to a leash that just, well, *somehow* ends up
under a human's foot at about standing-dog-height. It ain't training, but
it's a start.

In general, self-control can be taught and would probably be a good place
to start. The first step is (almost always) sufficient exercise to
dissipate the energy-bubbles percolating in the youngster's brain. Bubble-
headedness is pretty common to herdingbreed dogs, particularly those who
haven't matured. (Keep in mind that some dogs *never* mature, like some
humans!)

The second step is using short, everyday routines to teach the dog that
patience and obedience pay off. Sit/stay for meals is a good one.
Sit/stay for petting is another good one. Obviously, these should be
introduced and practiced in a quieter environment first before expecting
the pup to act like a grownup in company.
Old December 12th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Training "hysterical" dogs [jerry]

The ONLY folks who FEAR and HATE The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin
Insanely Simply Amazing Grand Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And Horsey
Wizard more than the professional trainers and university behaviorists
whom HE has IDENTIFIED EXXXPOSED and DISCREDITED are PARENTS and of
curse, their VICTIMS, bstevens {): ~ (

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHA! Not a single person fears you, AssHowe. However,
everyone hates you. Are you proud of yourself?

Stupid coward who won't meet me...