I found a dog but she chases cats......argggggggg

Old December 12th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

Default I found a dog but she chases cats......argggggggg

You know I took off work early to do some shopping and on my way home what
comes barrelling off a side road headed right for the main highway but a
beautiful border collie. I got my car off the road and called her to the
car. Little miss friendly just jumped right in like she'd been there
before.

After asking around some guy pointed me to the local farm. I took her up
and it turned out she didn't belong there and the lady had never seen her.
It looks like maybe someone dumped her off. If they hadn't then she's been
loose for a while she was filthy beyond belief

I brought here home there were some minor grolws and stuff between my two
and her but they all settled in. I gave her a bath, picked the briors out
of her hair and clipped off some mats. The problem is just when I thought
things were going good she chased my one cat right up the stairs a helling.
I would love to keep her but she's just too intent on the cats and I can't
have her chasing them.

I hate to take her to the shelter they do their best to place them all and
if they can't they get them out to rescue so I'm not worried about her being
put to sleep. My worry is if they are full what I'm going to do with her.
The only other shelter is a high kill shelter and she's not going there.

She is so sweet and loving and listens well. I'll place an add in the paper
so if anyone is looking for her I can direct them to the shelter. I just
don't think I can trust her in the house with my cats. Right now she's in
the kennel she quieted down right away so I think she's been kenneled
before. I just hope I can find her owners.

Hey is anyone in PA interested in a Beautiful Border Collie if I can't find
who she belongs to?

Old December 12th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

"Spot" wrote:

Hey is anyone in PA interested in a Beautiful Border Collie if I can't
find who she belongs to?

I'm not in the market for another dog right now, and I'm in MD anyway, but
it might be worth your while to try contacting Mid-Atlantic Border Collie
Rescue. http://www.mabcr.org/

Old December 12th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

Thanks for the link to their page.

I printed up flyers and I'll distribute them today to the mail boxes up in
the area where I found her.

We are working on the cat thing but I don't think it's anything she's going
to get over. Her hearding instinct is very much there. She was out in the
yard with my other dogs today off leash and my other collie mix wanted to
play and all she wanted to do was heard the other dogs. Chasing, circling
and nipping at them. It didn't go over to well with the one who just wanted
to play.

Celeste

Old December 12th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

Spot wrote:
[...]

==============
Why don't you do a search on line for Border Collie rescue groups in
your state to see if they would take the dog before putting the dog in
the shelter?

Old December 12th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

pfoley wrote:

Why don't you do a search on line for Border Collie rescue groups in
your state to see if they would take the dog before putting the dog in
the shelter?

1. A responsible rescue group will not take and rehome a dog that
they do not have clear ownership of.

2. The owners, if the dog was not dumped, should be given the
opportunity to claim their dog. This will not be possible if the
dog is in a rescue group, and it will be more difficult if the dog
remains in private hands.

3. It is likely that the local BC rescue keeps a tab on what dogs
cycle through area shelters. But, to be on the safe side, I would
contact them to inform them that the dog was found as a stray and
turned in to X shelter. BC rescue may have a deal with the shelter,
wherein they can pull dogs.

4. Don't believe everything you find on Teh Interwebs. Just
because you find a rescue group on-line does not mean it is a
responsible rescue group. Double checking with people you trust,
and who may have first-hand knowledge of the group or other groups
in your area is a Very Good Idea.

5. Local law may *require* that strays be turned in to animal
control. In fact, local law may require that AC come and fetch the
animal, instead of you bringing it to them.

And that's just for starters. I expect I'll wake up at 2am and
think of a few more reasons.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old December 12th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

"shelly" wrote:

2. The owners, if the dog was not dumped, should be given the opportunity
to claim their dog.

Absolutely, and the OP appears to want to give them that opportunity; among
other things, she's said she's going to run ads.

This will not be possible if the dog is in a rescue group, and it will be
more difficult if the dog remains in private hands.

Not necessarily. Just as not all rescues are equal, neither are all public
shelters equal. In some areas, if the private individual is conscientious,
it may be less difficult.
It won't be possible for the owner to claim their dog if it is put down
due to a kill shelter's short holding policy, such as the county shelter in
my area which holds dogs for only 4 days. And if the shelter adopts it out
to someone before they find out where the dog is, it can be nearly
impossible.

4. Don't believe everything you find on Teh Interwebs. Just because you
find a rescue group on-line does not mean it is a responsible rescue
group. Double checking with people you trust, and who may have first-hand
knowledge of the group or other groups in your area is a Very Good Idea.

Yep. MABCR, which I recommended contacting, is reputable; I know people who
have gotten dogs through them, and IIRC Melanie Chang worked with them
before she moved to CA.
And to be clear, I recommended them not only as a possible means of placing
the dog if the owner's not found, but because they may be able to give the
OP first-hand advice about locating the dog's owner, shelters in the area,
etc.

Old December 12th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:27:54 GMT, "Spot" wrote:

I printed up flyers and I'll distribute them today to the mail boxes
up in the area where I found her.

if you haven't already, take her to the vet and have her scanned for a
microchip.

--
Lynne
Old December 13th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

She went to a local shelter today and I did eventually find the owner. I
would never have taken her to the shelter if I didn't know that they do not
put dogs down unless they have no choice. In the last
6 months they have only put down 2 dogs. If they can't find homes they put
them out to rescue. Most dogs are at the shelter a month or more before
they move them.

Celeste

Old December 13th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Spot

I had to take her to the shelter this afternoon she was getting nastier with
the cats. It went from darting after them to growling and showing teeth.

I did put out about 70 flyers in the area and talked to a farmer who told me
who she belonged to. The guy eventually did call me twice today but when I
called him back his phone number was disconnected. So on my way home from
dialysis tonight I stopped by his place. He wasn't there and it gave me a
chance to look around. She has a nice box with lots of straw and it looks
like he does care for her. It looks like she just slipped her collar and
got away is all. Even though I don't like a dog staying outside he does
have a warm place for her so I left a note on his door where she was at. I
later had one of the neighbors call me and tell me she belonged to him.

Here's hoping he goes and gets her. The last dog my brother in law found
the owners told them to keep her or they were taking her to the pound.
Gracie now has a nice home with 3 other dogs and 3 kids to play

Celeste

. 97.142...