Belgian shepherd

Old December 14th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
chocolatebamboo

Default Belgian shepherd

Hi, my name is Liz and have a 4 yr old black female belgian, named
Rune. She's a recent addition to my household, adopted in August. I
got her from a GS rescue group who assured me she was a GS,just black,
or a possible GS mix. She's not a GS, not even a GS mix. I love her but
have only ever had mutts and 2 Black and Tan GS, Sometimes I just
don't know what to make of her. She's lovely with cats and other
dogs, and not much of a barker, except at the door, ( this is all
great). But she is v. clingy which is fine, but there's an edge of
anxiety, that at times makes me nervous. Now my G Shepherd is clingy
too, but you can say no or leave her at home without feeling like a
murderer. She is so sensitive she can run her head into the wall
playing with out a peep, but if I so much as tug on her leash too hard
she acts mortally wounded. She's also v. hard to handle, with
grooming, cries when I tried to clean mud off her paws, and was nuts at
the vets when he had to examine her. She makes me feel safe, recently
scared away a man that tried to snatch my purse. She gets along great
with my GS, happy to let Riley be the alpha, which is a miracle bc
Riley who loves people and is also a rescue cannot usually tolerate any
other dog above 40lbs, esp. females. But she is such a mystery to me at
times. She is a huge baby about so mant things, but than fiercely
protects me from a would be robber. Her behavior, unpredictable to me,
is some insight this breed of dog v. few people local to me seem to
know much about the breed, and i cannot afford thousands of dollars, on
training that will not work or vets that haven't a clue. Please help.