Bittersweet Blessing

Old December 14th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Default Bittersweet Blessing

I came home tonight and looked in the direction off my friend
Bulleye's house. I always say hi to him and often take him treats and
rawhides. He used to get out and come over I would wash him and play
with him and feed him. He was a very sweet black and white Pit Bull,
He has the most beautiful markings.
When I looked at his run he was gone...I called to him and no
reply...He lived in a tiny chain link run on a cement slab. The slab
had been previously used for auto repair so I know it had harsh
substances worn into the cement, that combined with his urine made his
skin irritated, thus the bath when he came to visit.
He was owned by a young couple who did little more than feed him.
They said they did not want to take him to the pound but if I could find
a home for him. He could go....
I asked his owner where he was. She told me she gave him to her
brother. He was worried about the dog not getting to run and the fact
that they were never home. I don't know the brother, but his owner
tells me he has lots of room to run now. I am going to hold that
thought and believe it...I will never forget Bullseye. I guess I am
glad I did not get to say good bye it is easier for me to not have to
say good bye...I am believing it is his little Christmas blessing. He
is so deserving of a good home. He had been confined in that run for
over a year.
Farewell Bullseye. Run like a little wild man!!!!!!

Be Free.....Judy

Old December 15th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

Judith Althouse wrote:
[...]

============
I am glad that story had a happy ending. I guess it was an early
Christmas present for Bullseye. Since he was given to the owner's
brother, maybe you will get to see him again. Bullseye will most likely
never forget the kindness you bestowed upon him, as I am sure you were
probably his only friend.

Old December 16th 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
mariann

"Judith Althouse" wrote in message
[...]

Is it the norm to have dogs chained to kennels outside the houses in US ?
Ive never seen it where I live in the UK .... Sounds very sad to me ...M

Old December 16th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

mariann wrote:
[...]

===================
It is very sad.
No, it is not the norm here in the US; I consider that cruel treatment
of a dog.

Old December 16th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"pfoley" wrote in message
ups.com...

?
Ive never seen it where I live in the UK .... Sounds very sad to me ...M

===================
It is very sad.
No, it is not the norm here in the US; I consider that cruel treatment
of a dog.

Actually, in much of the rural US, it is pretty common.

We've had this discussion here before. It may not be your choice, nor is it
mine but it happens a lot. In the better cases, the dog does get to come
inside when the family is home but is tied outside at other times. And even
the local shelters use it - usually when they are overloaded (and when are
they not?) and they have a dog who needs to be separated from others.

There is nothing inherently bad about tying a dog outside - either directly
to a shelter or to a clothesline-type run. It is on a par with an outdoor
kennel. They are both as good or as bad as the humans involved make them.

Judy

Old December 16th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
mariann

"Judy" wrote in message
"pfoley" wrote in message
ups.com...

mariann wrote:
[...]

If the chain is very long and the kennel is warm and secure maybe possibly
I can understand it and if the dog is indoors at night and treated as a pet
...ok ...but its not my idea of how to treat a friend . M

Old December 16th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

mariann wrote:
"Judy" wrote in message
"pfoley" wrote in message
ups.com...

mariann wrote:
[...]

==============
I would second that.
I think if you don't have a fenced in back yard, it is ok to put the
dog on a runner for awhile and then let the dog in, but to keep a dog
chained up in the yard all day and sometimes all night with no human
contact or activities to keep the mind occupied and the body exercised
bothers me a lot. When people do that to their dogs, I have to ask why
have a dog at all. What is the point.

Old December 17th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:43:41 GMT, "pfoley" wrote:

but to keep a dog
chained up in the yard all day and sometimes all night with no human
contact or activities to keep the mind occupied and the body exercised
bothers me a lot. When people do that to their dogs, I have to ask why
have a dog at all. What is the point.

Exactly! Also, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but
doesn't chaining a dog up lead to aggression problems??

--
Lynne

Old December 17th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...
on Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:43:41 GMT, "pfoley" wrote:

but to keep a dog
chained up in the yard all day and sometimes all night with no human
contact or activities to keep the mind occupied and the body exercised
bothers me a lot. When people do that to their dogs, I have to ask why
have a dog at all. What is the point.

Exactly! Also, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but
doesn't chaining a dog up lead to aggression problems??

--
Lynne

===========
I agree to that also. I have seen that happen to a couple of neighbor's
dogs in the past, and they were not like that until they chained them up
outside to a dog house. Thank goodness they eventually gave the dogs away
to someone who didn't mind spending more time with them and appreciated them
a little more than they did.

Old December 17th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...

Exactly! Also, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but
doesn't chaining a dog up lead to aggression problems??

No, it doesn't. Over the years, I have seen many, many hunting dogs who are
tied up on a daily basis. I have never seen any connection between that and
aggression. It's also very common with sled dogs - and again, no
correlation with aggression.

If a dog is tied up and teased by children or perhaps even other dogs, I
suppose it could happen. But the tying doesn't cause it.

I agree - why have a dog if it's going to be tied up to a shelter on the
back corner of your yard and never get loose or allowed inside? But it's
the isolation that's cruel, not the tying.

Judy