Sclera inflammation in Lab

Old December 15th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Sclera inflammation in Lab

Hi -

I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction for a
problem my Golden/Lab mix is having. None of the vets I've spoken to
know what the issue is, and I've found no data on the web.

My dog is approximately 2 years old. He is a rescued dog, so I know
very little history. I've had him for about 4 months and he's been very
health and active. About 3 months ago, I came home to find that the
sclera in both of his eyes had become very inflamed and were bulging
out over his irises. He didn't appear to be in pain, nor was he
bothered by this. I brought him to the emergency vet. They gave him
steroids and and antihistamine. I continued giving applying steroid
ointment to his eyes and gave him 50mg of Bendadryl 2x a day. The
swelling slowly went away aftter 3 days. The diagnosis was an allergic
reaction, but I've no idea to what. He has been fine until 3 days ago
when the problem came back. I have been using the same treatment, but
I'm seeing no improvement. Again, he seems fine otherwise and is not
bothered by the eyes. His vision appears fine as well. I have not
altered his diet or routine in any way. The only thing I can think is
that he's gotten into something when I wasn't looking, or may have
received spider bites (I have an older house).

My next step is to go to a canine opthamologist, but I was hoping to
see if anyone would have information on this. Thanks.

His name is Otto and he is a truly wonderful dog.

Old December 15th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

My next step is to go to a canine opthamologist, but I was hoping to
see if anyone would have information on this. Thanks.

Has there been a change in diet? Even if there hasn't, food allergies can
develop at any time. Try a diet such as Hills Z/D, but I'd still see a
veterinary ophthalmologist.

-Sharon

Old December 16th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Sat, 16 Dec 2006 02:04:54 GMT, Lynne
wrote:

conjuntivitis

er, conjunctivitis (aka pinkeye).

Tara's spell checker blows.

--
Lynne

Old December 19th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Thanks for the advice. Nothing I can think has changed in his diet. My
only thought is that he's gotten into something. I am taking him to a
vet ophthalmologist, but they are booked out until 1/9. It doesn't seem
to be changing (for better or worse). I'm a little worried that it will
be better by the time I get there. Maybe I'll take some photos.

Sometimes there are red, and sometimes they are clear. There is a
little discharge, but not much. His eyes don't appear to bother him,
and his vision seems fine.

Thanks again for the help.