Puppy play biting

Old December 18th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Erich93063

Default Puppy play biting

OK so I have an 11 week old Malti-Poo. He's a little guy and he loves
to play bite and chew on my finger when I'm playing with him and
holding him. I know this is natural and what puppies do, but I also
know you are not supposed to let them bite a human even in playing
because I guess that will allow for problems down the road. I had a
friend over who is a dog freak and insists that when he even begins to
bite me I yell and scream at him and pick him up by his neck, scare the
crap out of him and bottom line make him KNOW that biting is not ok.
But I'm from the camp of just saying no once loudly or saying ouch
loudly and just giving him one of his toys to chew on in my fingers
place. If that doesn't work, I will just stop playing with him. But she
acted like I was crazy and that will never work and he is just going to
grow up and end up biting my daughter in the face. SO, it does seem
that like although I have been doing this for a about two weeks or so,
he IS still biting pretty much all the time. Granted it is VERY light
play biting but he does it non stop. I got him teething toys like the
ones that go in the freezer and nylabones etc etc and I give him those
as much as possible. What is everyone's view on the best way to handle
this? I don't want to be an abusive parent. I just don't like hitting
my dog upside the head and sticking my fingers down his throat etc. But
am I being naive? Should I do that stuff anyway? Or should I maybe just
give him a timeout in the bathroom for a couple minutes?

What's the best method!!?

HELP!!!! :-)

Old December 18th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

"Erich93063" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

What's the best method!!?

The best method is a combination of the techniques you
mentioned in your post. I disagree with the degree of your
friend's corrections, but she's correct in that the dog needs
to know that biting is not OK.

And that's the crux: when is biting not play? I'll put up
with a certain amount of mouth to hand when I'm playing with
the dogs here, and the point at which it's no long play seems
obvious to me with my dogs and those I look after. It's
diffult to explain in words, but I'm sure your puppy is at the
point where it's all play.

Going over my previous posts on this subject, I see that what
I recommend is what is currently working for the puppy I'm
dealing with at the time. So, methods change depending upon
how the dog responds. Give each a chance to succeed, though -
nothing is more confusing to a puppy than changing boundaries.

I'd continue with what you're doing: redirecting to a toy and
using short time-outs. If this doesn't work, add a yip or a
marker word (like "nuh uh") and redirect and praise. You can
also hold on to the lower jaw (no pinching or pulling) for a
few moments before redirecting and praising. Whatever you do,
be consistent and ensure that your friends are equally
consistent with your dog. If you're uncomfortable with
anything, go with your instincts.

Good luck!

Old December 18th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Opinicus

"Erich93063" wrote

OK so I have an 11 week old Malti-Poo. He's a little guy and he loves
to play bite and chew on my finger when I'm playing with him and
holding him. I know this is natural and what puppies do, but I also
know you are not supposed to let them bite a human even in playing
because I guess that will allow for problems down the road. I had a
friend over who is a dog freak and insists that when he even begins to
bite me I yell and scream at him and pick him up by his neck, scare the

The believability of the "eek" is essential. We're going through this now
with our new cocker spaniel pup. She loves to chew on human ankles and
fingers and also on Urger's tail. (Urger's an Anatolian.) When she lays into
my or Urger's appendages we give an appropriately convincing warning that
makes her back off. (Our cats do the same though they also manage to work in
a swipe or two.) My wife however can't seem to get the "heft" (for lack of a
better word) into her voice when she "eeks". Balim just looks at her as if
to say "You're pretending. I can tell."

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Old December 18th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Erich93063" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

What's the best method!!?

The best method is a combination of the techniques you
mentioned in your post.

Second that.

I'll put up
with a certain amount of mouth to hand when I'm playing with
the dogs here, and the point at which it's no long play seems
obvious to me with my dogs and those I look after. It's
diffult to explain in words, but I'm sure your puppy is at the
point where it's all play.

I know a lot of people who don't allow any teeth on skin. I've never had to
be that strict with a dog.

That said, I probably do approach that level when we're training acceptable
behavior.

We had Spenser as a puppy. After we established boundaries of play versus
non-play, we developed games that do involve hands in mouth. We play a game
called "Finger" where Spenser hooks his teeth over a curled finger and plays
a mild game of tug and shake. (DH actually has a callus as a result.)

Sassy stayed with the breeder for two years. She learned to never touch
skin with her teeth. After three years with us, she is still trying to
figure out the Finger Game. She knows it's a game but she has difficulty
allowing herself to play it.

If you're uncomfortable with
anything, go with your instincts.

ALWAYS good advice.

Judy

Old December 18th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

I disagree with the degree of your friend's corrections,

That so, matty? Seems you disagree with EVERYTHING YOU DO.

but she's correct in that the dog needs to know that biting is not OK.

If "biting" was NOT O.K., matty, Mother Nature wouldn't allHOWE
the puppy to NORMALLY NATURALLY INNATELY INSTINCTIVELY
DO IT, would She, matty {}: ~ (

Does Mother Nature allow fondling children?

What do you think, AssHowe?

Old December 18th 06, 09:52 PM
Chester's Mom Chester's Mom is offline
Junior Member

Location: Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich93063
I don't want to be an abusive parent. I just don't like hitting
my dog upside the head and sticking my fingers down his throat etc. But
am I being naive? Should I do that stuff anyway? Or should I maybe just
give him a timeout in the bathroom for a couple minutes?

What's the best method!!?

HELP!!!! :-)

Hitting a dog only teaches him to be afraid of you. A firm "no" works just fine.

It sounds like you're on the right track. Patience and consistancy is the key to training. Putting him down or crating him when he misbehaves sends the message that biting is not okay. Giving him alternatives to your finger works, too. Just remember, puppies have a short attention span so you'll have to repeat your method of choice to the point of insanity. (Your insanity, that is! )

Also, don't isolate your puppy for too long after his bad behavior. Just a few minutes gives him the idea.

Good luck!
__________________
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

Will Rogers, 1897-1935
Old December 18th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jeff Dege

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:27:36 -0800, Erich93063 wrote:

What's the best method!!?

First, play biting is normal in puppies - and essential if the pup is to
grow up into a dog who knows how to control his bite.

So you don't want the pup to not bite, you want the pup to learn to not
bite hard. All dogs will bite, when subject to certain stresses. A dog
who has not learned to control his bite strength is dangerous. You want a
dog who will nip at your trousers, when his tail is slammed in the car
door, rather than tearing your leg open.

So let the puppy bite in play, just set limits on how hard you will allow.
And make those limits more stringent, over the next weeks and months, as
the pup learns.

What do you do when the pup exceeds those limits? Act like he hurt you,
and move away and ignore him. Puppies are social animals, and isolation
is what teaches them best. "Play too rough, and nobody will play with
you" is the lesson you're teaching.

Doesn't need to be an extensive time-out. Fifteen seconds is usually
plenty. Ninety seconds is as much as you'll ever need.

--
From briefcase then there comes a list of things we must revise.
And all but four within the room are taken by surprise.

Old December 19th 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Puppy play biting [jerry]

But I'm from the camp of just saying no once loudly

That'll INTIMIDATE your puppy an make him AFRAID of you.

What college did you go to, to learn what you think you know? Because
they should be put out of business for turning out such an idiot in you.

Old December 20th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Can you do us a favor?

Write more bullshit advise.
Advertise your silly manual more.
Be more idiotic in what you say.
Insert "HOWE" and "XXX" and "CON" into more words so you look more
clever.
Give the impression that you actually know what you are talking about,
even though we all know you don't.
Pretend that everyone on here is insane yet you are the only sane one.
Keep pretending that you are "kindly" when you aren't in the least kind
to anyone and you are too supid to realize it. Get a brain you idiot.

Oh - post longer posts that no one will ever read. Who cares that some
people need to pay for getting messages? Why should we be concerned
about them? Triple your long posts - no one reads them anyway.