Retrieve

Old December 19th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

Default Retrieve

on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 02:15:45 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

We can teach a dog to catch and we can teach a basic fetch, but I
haven't been able to process how to teach a retrieve.

We had worked with Bella on "Take it" but we evidently lost focus on
that (easy to do around here). When she was a young pup, we could get
her to take stuff to each other. Now she just takes something e give
her and drops it.

What's the best way of getting baby puppies started down the road to a
good retrieve?

What's the difference between a fetch and a retrieve?

--
Lynne

Old December 19th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 03:00:30 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

My definition only:

I think of fetch as a repetative behavior, like fetching a thrown ball
or stick. I think of a retreive as something that doesn't necessarily
involve multiple repetitions with certain designated objects - and also
doesn't require the human throwing things.

So, in my mind, fetch is a game we play together, but if I went hunting
with a dog and shot a duck, for instance, the dog could go get the duck
and bring it to me. Getting the dog to bring me the phone would be a
retrieve behavior in my definition.

Ah, okay, that makes sense.

For me "go get it" works for both fetching and retrieving, where "it" of
course identifies the object (though Roxy is limited in what objects she
knows. I should train her with more!). For example when she tires of
fetch, she'll ignore the ball and lay down. I tell her to go get the
ball and she brings it to me so I can put it away. Also, when she has
snatched my shoe from the deck and left it somewhere out in the yard (I
know, I know...), I can show her the other one and tell her to go get the
shoe. This skill came from our games of fetch, though. When we are
playing fetch, I often make her wait to go after I throw the ball (or
whatever) and then "go get the ball" is her release, so I suppose the
retrieving part came from that.

My Shelties were not naturals at fetch, but teaching them "drop it" and
"come" and then getting them interested in balls and toys and playing a
LOT eventually led to some very driven little dogs for fetch. I don't
recall ever having them retrieve.

Gosh, puppies are fun! (Except the weein' in the wee hours part.) You
should keep one!!

--
Lynne

Old December 19th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:05:56 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

And getting your shoe is a good thing for a dog to do. I think we were
far too successful at getting baby Bella to leave our stuff alone, so
we convinced her that she may only touch her stuff. That's not a bad
thing entirely, but I'd like to think we could do things a little
differently.

Well if I had tought her to leave my stuff alone better, I would have had
to teach her to get my shoe, LOL. But she doesn't hurt them, she likes
to carry it off to a sunny spot, lay down, and shove her snout in my
shoe. I admit, I am weak with her. I just find that too cute to resist.

And we had another inquiry about a puppy from a guy who lives across
the street from my father and whose family lost their 16-year-old dog
about four months ago. It would be cool to have the potential for
seeing the pup in the future and I can tell from afar that they need
another dog!

That would be fantastic!! As soon as the pups are ready for
socialization, get that family involved!

--
Lynne