Crate training questions...

Old December 20th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Bright Shiny Objects Fascinate Me...

Default Crate training questions...

Hello! I have recently received a puppy (well a month ago) and we are
crate training him. (If this forum is not the correct forum, I would
love it if I could be pointed in the direction of the appropriate one.)
He is now 5 months old.

For the past month he has been really good about letting us know when
he has to go to the bathroom outside during the middle of the night.
It was like clockwork -- loud barking and yelping. That's a lot of
noise a cavalier king charles can make! I hated getting up to take him
out, but I did and was I ever glad that I listened to him!

Here comes the part I don't understand...Two night ago he stopped
barking and yelping. I thought, WHEW! He is finally able to sleep
through the night and hold it. I know I haven't slept through it
because I'm a light sleeper. However, he never even whimpered. In the
morning I would get him to take him for his walk (I walk him first
thing in the morning, before I do anything else) and I noticed that he
had soiled his blanket in his crate. It wasn't even urine, it was
feces. Even worse, I couldn't find the feces. I came to the horrible
conclusion that he's been eating them. It was confirmed this morning
when I saw him eating them in his crate. He looked ashamed when I
gasped. He knew that what he was doing was something he shouldn't be
doing.

I want to break him of this cycle now before it's too late. I am
hoping it's not too late. I haven't changed anything in his feeding or
walking patterns. He gets fed at 7am and 7pm. He is walked every 2
hours, so I keep thinking I am doing something wrong. His crate is
large enough for him to turn around and stand in, but it's not a huge
crate for a small puppy.

I have had dogs before getting a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I used
to have 2 wonderful Great Pyrenees that were housebroken within 2
weeks. I am doing the same thing I did with them. I wonder if I have
to do something different.

Am I doing something wrong? Any advice/questions/comments would be
greatly appreciated.

I can also be reached at the email I am posting from...please no spam
about buying your system on doggie behavior.

Thanks!
-Sparkle-

Old December 20th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I want to break him of this cycle now before it's too late.

Take him out when *you* think he needs to go. Since he was
previously letting you know when he needed out, set your alarm
for those times (or a bit earlier).

Old December 20th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
mariann

"Bright Shiny Objects Fascinate Me..." wrote
in message ps.com...
[...]

Why put your baby in a crate .....Get a nice basket and put it in your
bedroom then you will wake up if he gets up to naughty behaviour ...Mariann

Old December 20th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

mariann wrote:
"Bright Shiny Objects Fascinate Me..." wrote
in message ps.com...
I can also be reached at the email I am posting from...please no spam
about buying your system on doggie behavior.

Thanks!
-Sparkle-

Why put your baby in a crate .....Get a nice basket and put it in your
bedroom then you will wake up if he gets up to naughty behaviour ...Mariann

That and it encourages free roaming throughout the house. I don't want
that to happen during the night. He will not get total freedom in the
house until he is housebroken.

-Sparkle-

Old December 21st 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
mariann

"Bright Shiny Objects Fascinate Me..." wrote
in message ups.com...

mariann wrote:
"Bright Shiny Objects Fascinate Me..."
wrote
in message ps.com...
I can also be reached at the email I am posting from...please no spam
about buying your system on doggie behavior.

Thanks!
-Sparkle-

Why put your baby in a crate .....Get a nice basket and put it in your
bedroom then you will wake up if he gets up to naughty behaviour
...Mariann

That and it encourages free roaming throughout the house. I don't want
that to happen during the night. He will not get total freedom in the
house until he is housebroken.

-Sparkle-

Don't you have door to your bedroom ?

Old December 21st 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:08:16 GMT, "mariann"
wrote:

Don't you have door to your bedroom ?

Don't you understand crate training?

--
Lynne

Old December 21st 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
mariann

m...
wrote:

Don't you have door to your bedroom ?

Don't you understand crate training?

--
Lynne

You said that you kept your dog in a crate because you didn't want him to
have free run of your house ... but if you have a door to your bedroom cant
you shut the door so he's stuck in there with you but not sitting in a crate
......maybe if he can see you he will be ok ....

Old December 21st 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

mariann wrote:

You said that you kept your dog in a crate because you didn't want him to
have free run of your house ... but if you have a door to your bedroom cant
you shut the door so he's stuck in there with you but not sitting in a crate
.....maybe if he can see you he will be ok ....

Not everyone wants their bedroom door shut during the night.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old December 21st 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
mariann

"shelly" wrote in message
mariann wrote:

You said that you kept your dog in a crate because you didn't want him
to have free run of your house ... but if you have a door to your
bedroom cant you shut the door so he's stuck in there with you but not
sitting in a crate .....maybe if he can see you he will be ok ....

Not everyone wants their bedroom door shut during the night.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)

small price to pay if you keep the puppy happy ,,,, open a window if the
smell is too bad

Old December 21st 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

mariann wrote:

small price to pay if you keep the puppy happy ,,,,

It sounds to me like it will just give the puppy a larger area to
have accidents in. Not a good plan.

Also, crates are not eeevil. HTH!!!1!

open a window if the smell is too bad

Who said anything about smell? There can be all sorts of reasons
for wanting the bedroom door open at night, including the ability to
hear young children, allowing free movement for other pets, and air
flow (there may not be heat in the bedroom).

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)