Louisville Dog Legislation

Old December 22nd 06, 07:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Default Louisville Dog Legislation

Louisville's new ignorant dog legislation is terrifying to me. It is
hard to believe such a thing could happen. That is why I believe ALL
dog people should band together on matters such as this. Unfortunately
that seldom happens even though everyone would benefit from it. Lots of
folks have their own agenda and that is all they care about. Because
their apricot Poodle is not being directly effected (as much as the so
called dangerous breeds). Ya just never know when it will be your breed
under attack. I cannot believe a city of that size can be so clearly
narrow minded.
Count me in on the reservations even though I won't be attending the
show.
I seldom travel through that town but I assure you I will not spend a
dime when I do.
I can't afford it, but if I was a resident and effected I guarantee I
would move. Yep, I damn sure would pick up and move, even if it was
only across the county line. Amazing and to think. I have always
wanted to live in Ky. not Louisville but Ky. What a mistake that would
be.
Diddy, please post the date of the show and if you have a favorite
motel you would like to fill up please give me their name and number. I
think I am going to be doing some traveling Oh yeah and I am going to
be traveling with a large party.

Be Free.....Judy

Old December 23rd 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sandy in OK

Judith Althouse wrote:
Louisville's new ignorant dog legislation is terrifying to me. It is
hard to believe such a thing could happen. That is why I believe ALL
dog people should band together on matters such as this. Unfortunately
that seldom happens even though everyone would benefit from it. Lots of
folks have their own agenda and that is all they care about. Because
their apricot Poodle is not being directly effected (as much as the so
called dangerous breeds). Ya just never know when it will be your breed
under attack. I cannot believe a city of that size can be so clearly
narrow minded.

Dog enthusiasts are too busy trying to decide whether or not each other
is "responsible" to band together and fight a common enemy. Many dog
people see others as competition, and seem to be unable to put
differences aside to band together and fight a common enemy who is VERY
dedicated to a single cause, well funded and has the ear of people in
high places. They have an organized lobby. Through the many perks HSUS
provides for shelters, they have almost every major shelter and humane
society in the country in their pocket.

Count me in on the reservations even though I won't be attending the
show.
I seldom travel through that town but I assure you I will not spend a
dime when I do.
I can't afford it, but if I was a resident and effected I guarantee I
would move. Yep, I damn sure would pick up and move, even if it was
only across the county line. Amazing and to think. I have always
wanted to live in Ky. not Louisville but Ky. What a mistake that would
be.

Kentucky ain't special (well, it may be, but not for this reason) This
sort of thing is "in the works" nationally and in many states and
cities. Canceling motel reservations isn't going to get it done. There
are groups like NAIA and SAOVA that are organized and committed.
Unfortunately, you might not like some of the company you have to keep
to save our animals.

Old December 23rd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article .com,
Sandy in OK wrote:
Dog enthusiasts are too busy trying to decide whether or not each other
is "responsible" to band together and fight a common enemy.

Just out of curiosity, where is it, exactly, that you get
this ****? Is it that nobody will work with *you*?

Sending more troops into a war is properly called an "escalation."
Old December 23rd 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sandy in OK

Melinda Shore wrote:

--

Um, I think it is because I took the blinders off a long time ago. It's
only my opinion, Melinda (and the opinion of a fair number of others
who are blinder-less) You don't have to get all hepped up and abusive
about it. But of course, you can if that's your most articulate form of
communication..
My suggestion: If you are concerned, get involved. Get yourself in a
position locally to watch legislation (why I am on the advisory
committee for our shelter among other reasons. I hear what is coming.
I'm in a position to know a few locally influential people - and
recently we deep sixed city legislation that would identify a dog who
charged at their fenceline barking as potentially dangerous and allow
AC to come on your property when you aren't home to confiscate your
dog. )
If you are really concerned, sometimes you have to decide that "the
enemy of my enemy is my friend." The people who are the enemy of my
enemy are often those for whom finances, not ribbons, are at stake. Or
you can make motel reservations and be horrified by it on the internet.
JMO.

Old December 23rd 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article m,
Sandy in OK wrote:
My suggestion: If you are concerned, get involved.

Golly! Think that one up on your own, did you?

Sending more troops into a war is properly called an "escalation."
Old December 28th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Sandy in Ok
I totally agree with you about dog groups that are so busy fighting
with each other that they cannot unite to fight for a common cause that
sooner than later will effect all dog owners.
I disagree with you about making motel reservations and cancelling
them and when doing so giving the reason why. Admittedly, that is a
tiny step. That along with many other tiny steps and the letter to the
powers that be about why dog owners locally and afar will not spend a
dime in Louisville will make an impact if people stick to it. Not today
or tomorrow but if people in a position to make a difference stay at it,
it can be effective IMO.
Actually, I had no idea to even question HSUS's sincerity until
reading posts at RPDB. I have always supported them until recently.

Be Free.....Judy

Old December 28th 06, 12:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Judith Althouse wrote:

I totally agree with you about dog groups that are so busy fighting
with each other that they cannot unite to fight for a common cause that
sooner than later will effect all dog owners.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of discussion groups.

Actually, I had no idea to even question HSUS's sincerity until
reading posts at RPDB. I have always supported them until recently.

Supported them for what? As far as I know, they don't run any
shelters. Basically, they're just a big propaganda-disseminating
and money-making venture.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old December 28th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"shelly" wrote in message:

Basically, they're just a big propaganda-disseminating
and money-making venture.

Occasionally, they support stuff like this:

http://www.hsus.org/press_and_public..._pets_Act.html

Suja

Old December 29th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Shelly,
I really don't understand what you are talking about, but I am sure
you will clue me in????
I was trying to convey that if dog groups in general would unite to
fight against the injustices such as what is going on in Louisville they
would be more successful. There is so much fighting within. They cannot
seem to come together from private rescue groups in my area to national
groups. That is all I was trying to say.
About HSUS I not only go by what I read I base my opinions of an
animal group on what I see. They were on the ground in NOLA rescuing
animals. I made a small donation. I am a pauper so do not worry my
donation is not going to help them take over the dog world.
Upon reading that a number of people at this UseNet group oppose HSUS
I began to question it. (HSUS) I am not disputing your words about
HSUS. I really don't know but I have taken an interest in finding out
more about HSUS.

Be Free.....Judy

Old December 29th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Judith Althouse wrote:

I really don't understand what you are talking about, but I am sure
you will clue me in????

I can but try.

I was trying to convey that if dog groups in general would unite to
fight against the injustices such as what is going on in Louisville they
would be more successful.

I think that before quantifying "more successful" one must first
qualify the purpose of the group. This group, for instance, is a
*discussion* group, not a "unite to fight against the injustices" group.

There is so much fighting within. They cannot
seem to come together from private rescue groups in my area to national
groups. That is all I was trying to say.

That may be because there are no national groups that the local
groups can trust.

About HSUS I not only go by what I read I base my opinions of an
animal group on what I see. They were on the ground in NOLA rescuing
animals.

The HSUS has been accused of not only misappropriating funds that
were raised for the rescue and reunion of pets with their owners,
but of placing rescued pets into shelters that then adopted the pets
out to permanent homes. In other words, they appear to have
facilitated the theft of people's pets.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_.../headline/2879
http://www.naiaonline.org/articles/P..._protested.htm

I made a small donation. I am a pauper so do not worry my
donation is not going to help them take over the dog world.

Good for you. I'd rather put my money into local rescues/shelters.
They actually need it, whereas the HSUS does *not*.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)