Dog's reaction to sneeze

Old December 23rd 06, 08:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

Default Dog's reaction to sneeze

For some time now Muttley has been reacting in a consistent and interesting
manner if I sneeze. He will get up and approach me as if he is concerned,
and will put his paws on the arm of the chair and look at me, and almost
climb into my lap. I tell him "Off", and then he settles down again. It's
not a problem, just an observation. Any idea what he's trying to
communicate?

Thanks,

Paul

(for those who don't know Muttley and me)
http://www.smart.net/~pstech/MuttleyStory.htm

Old December 23rd 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

diddy wrote:

Probably wondering what you did that's different. After all, a sneeze is an
explosion, it's not subtle.
When I sneeze, Tuck brings me the kleenex box!

Smart guy!

When I sneezed, Dylan, on the other hand, would come running, so
that she could try to steal the tissue out of my hand. Used
tissues were particularly yummy. :-P

FurPaw
--
Better dead than Red.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old December 24th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 10:08:36 -0700, FurPaw
wrote:

diddy wrote:

Probably wondering what you did that's different. After all, a sneeze is an
explosion, it's not subtle.
When I sneeze, Tuck brings me the kleenex box!

Smart guy!

When I sneezed, Dylan, on the other hand, would come running, so
that she could try to steal the tissue out of my hand. Used
tissues were particularly yummy. :-P

Molly loves used tissues, too, and comes running whenever she hears
someone blowing their nose. Then she gets all disappointed when the
tissue goes in the trash with the lid. She liked it better when some
of them ended up in a trash without a lid. Her enjoyment is exactly
why that doesn't happen any more, poor abused dog!

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old December 24th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 24 Dec 2006 00:23:23 GMT, Paula wrote:

Molly loves used tissues, too, and comes running whenever she hears
someone blowing their nose. Then she gets all disappointed when the
tissue goes in the trash with the lid. She liked it better when some
of them ended up in a trash without a lid. Her enjoyment is exactly
why that doesn't happen any more, poor abused dog!

My animals are way more abused. ALL trashcans are in cabinets!

--
Lynne

Old December 28th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Paul,
I do not have a definite answer about why Muttley comes a running when
you sneeze. I think it is a good thing that he notices what is going on
with you and comes to check it out.
One of the newer additions to the family is like that. Jubal Early
comes if I cough, sneeze, flip open a book, etc. He is a lot like
me.....just plain old nosey. He always shows up if tears are rolling
down my face. I like to think it is because he worries but he may just
like to lick those salty tears and as others have said....They all seem
to like those paper towels with the smell or taste of food on them.
I am glad you and Muttley are still hanging out.

Be Free.....Judy

Old December 29th 06, 08:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Judith Althouse" wrote in message
Paul,
I do not have a definite answer about why Muttley comes a running when
you sneeze. I think it is a good thing that he notices what is going on
with you and comes to check it out.
One of the newer additions to the family is like that. Jubal Early
comes if I cough, sneeze, flip open a book, etc. He is a lot like
me.....just plain old nosey. He always shows up if tears are rolling
down my face. I like to think it is because he worries but he may just
like to lick those salty tears and as others have said....They all seem
to like those paper towels with the smell or taste of food on them.
I am glad you and Muttley are still hanging out.

Be Free.....Judy

I think Muttley does care about me. Once when walking him I slipped and
landed on my butt. He had been pulling on the leash a little bit, but he
turned around and came over to me as if to make sure I was OK. I really
like the goofy brat he is.

Tomorrow I am taking him to his (tentative) new home. I am hoping it will
be for the best, but it will be on a trial basis. The prospective new
owners live less than four miles away, on a large estate adjoining the Loch
Raven watershed, so he will have plenty of room to run when and if they can
train him for reliable recall. I got a 50 foot aerial cable run they will
set up for him until he adjusts to them. The main concern is that they have
about six cats.

I will miss Muttley snoring on his bed and sleeping at (or on) my feet, and
sometimes snuggling next to me with his head on the pillow. After hearing
so many horror stories about other dogs and their misadventures, I feel
fortunate that Muttley is so reliable that I can leave him for 12 hours in
a house full of temptations and return only to him wagging his tail anxious
to go on his walk.

However, I will not miss the fear of what could happen. At the risk of
another "Oh My Goodness" I will reveal that yesterday morning I had Muttley
tied outside. When he had stopped barking for a while I looked and saw that
his tether had come undone from where it had been fastened, and he was
nowhere to be seen. I took a hike up the hill, whistled for him, and he
came bounding out of the woods to me with a big grin on his face. Then he
went back and got a deer leg that had been there for a long time, and I
took him back and reconnected the cable. He did not want to give up the
precious hairy bone, so I let him finish eating it until all that was left
were some clean white fragments. The vet said it probably would not hurt
him, and he seems OK. But it does worry me that he could get loose again
and cause some major problem, or be hit by a car on the road. So it's
probably a good thing for him and me to have another owner to be
responsible.

Thanks for being one of the few who have had kind words for me and Muttley.

Have a wonderful new year, everyone!

Paul and Muttley

Old December 29th 06, 09:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 02:12:34 -0500, "Paul E. Schoen"
wrote:

However, I will not miss the fear of what could happen. At the risk of
another "Oh My Goodness" I will reveal that yesterday morning I had Muttley
tied outside.

[skip rest of the story]

Now, see, here's a handy dandy Exhibit A to our conversation, Lynne.
Only a Drama Magnet would post the above given prior history unless he
was wearing thumbscrews, tied to a rack and sprouting bamboo shoots
all at the same time and could only make it all stop by posting the
story. Add to that bragging about leaving the dog alone for 12 hours
a day given the other discussions going on in this forum at this point
in time and having that dog tied out without supervision for long
periods while the owner is inside after saying that the dog is safe in
the house in light of ongoing discussions in this forum and you have
the OCD version of Drama Magnet/Addict: "MUST...THROW...SELF...
INTO...DRAMA...THAT...IS...GOING...ON...WITHOUT... ME...!" Dramatic
protestations that he didn't want a drama will follow, to be
contrasted starkly with the fact that his time without being involved
in any drama were so short lived. Textbook case.

Old December 29th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Fri, 29 Dec 2006 08:31:00 GMT, Paula
wrote:

Now, see, here's a handy dandy Exhibit A to our conversation, Lynne.
Only a Drama Magnet would post the above given prior history unless he
was wearing thumbscrews, tied to a rack and sprouting bamboo shoots
all at the same time and could only make it all stop by posting the
story.

Now how do you *know* that wasn't the case? Sheese!

Add to that bragging about leaving the dog alone for 12 hours
a day given the other discussions going on in this forum at this point
in time and having that dog tied out without supervision for long
periods while the owner is inside after saying that the dog is safe in
the house in light of ongoing discussions in this forum and you have
the OCD version of Drama Magnet/Addict: "MUST...THROW...SELF...
INTO...DRAMA...THAT...IS...GOING...ON...WITHOUT... ME...!" Dramatic
protestations that he didn't want a drama will follow, to be
contrasted starkly with the fact that his time without being involved
in any drama were so short lived. Textbook case.

I hope your doctor is generous with your valium my dear. Dealing with
this IRL on a regular basis... wow. I honestly don't know what I'd do.

--
Lynne

rec.pets.dogs: German Shepherd Dogs Breed-FAQ Holly Dog info 0 December 19th 05 06:35 AM
White Bull Terrier Admin Dog breeds 27 September 6th 05 01:53 PM
Morning Routines Jodi Dog behavior 17 February 24th 05 05:46 PM