Question on nutered puppy

Old December 26th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Penny

Default Question on nutered puppy

My Granddaughter has a 10 month old male Chihuahua, who was neutered about a
month ago. She is concerned that the surgery was not properly done as the
dog shows signs of still being capable of having an erection. I have a
neutered Shih Tzu and have never seen evidence of his capability of having
an erection, so we are both concerned that the surgery was not properly
done. We would appreciate any insight that you might share on this
condition. I have the feeling that it might take more than a month for the
puppy's male hormones to subside, and that eventually this will on longer
happen.

Thanks so much for any thoughts that you might have to share. Our puppies
are very important.....
--
Penny

Old December 26th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

"Penny" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

My Granddaughter has a 10 month old male Chihuahua, who was
neutered about a month ago. She is concerned that the
surgery was not properly done as the dog shows signs of
still being capable of having an erection.

I've seen dogs "make a lipstick" for years after neutering. An
English Bullmastiff I help train shows his stuff every time he
sits down, and that's one big lipstick. It's normal, so your
granddaughter shouldn't worry.

Old December 26th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Penny

Thanks for responding Matt,

Glad to know that this is normal, we can relax now and enjoy this little
guy.

Penny

Old December 30th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
mojomcl

Hi there,
sorry I don't have time to explain in more detail, BUT, I hope this'll
make things a little clearer for you.
Neutering a male dog is a simple removal of the testes from the sctotal
sac. All this does is make the dog (mechanically, if you like) unable
to produce sperm.
It is the same as a human man who has his 'tubes' 'cut' or 'tied' -
only difference is that we actually remove the 'balls' on a dog, but
not on men.
Men, and dogs, who have been steralized are still completely able to
become aroused, perform mastrubation and intercourse, and even to
ejaculate - it just means there are no sperm in the fluid.
Neutering CAN lower the amount of testosterone produced by the animal,
which CAN lead to lowered sex drive, and less aggresive, but it is not
the 'quick fix' many pet proffesionals would have you believe! That
said, I neuter all my dogs, whichever sex, for many, many different
reasons, and fully support anyone who makes the same descision.
Hope this helps a wee bit?

Old January 1st 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Penny

Thank you so much for the further explanation, it does help. My confusion
was caused by thinking that neutering dogs was less sensitive to the end
result of sexual performance in dogs. That is human male performance is
held to a higher priority then sexual performance in neutered dogs. Also my
thinking that removal of the testes would prevent arousal.

Thank you again for responding. I hope that the New Year brings you health
and happiness.

Regards,

Penny

ps.com...