Puppies - Day 26

Old December 30th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Puppies - Day 26

Are you positive it's the teeth that are bothering her? Many times,
it's actually the little puppy claws that bother the dam far more than
the teeth. You may want to check to see how sharp those little claws
are, and clip them down. Just a thought, anyway.

May I ask why you have to be careful with cuddling Gigi? Do you mean
giving it to her in reward for whining?

Old December 30th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:30:50 -0500, montana wildhack
, clicked their heels and said:

Hooray for the eliminating 5!!

What a New Year's celebration! Hooray!
--
Janet Boss
Old December 30th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Dec 30, 12:38*pm, montana wildhack
On 2006-12-30 12:27:23 -0500, said:

Puppy nails are regularly trimmed and filed. I can't do the same for
the little teeth!

Ahhh... I see. Sounds like you have a good grasp of what's going on,
and good for you for getting them used to having their feet held and
groomed at an early age. That is extremely helpful later in life, as
I'm sure you know!

Yes. I have no problem cuddling her when she's quiet, but not when

she's being demanding. Since the puppies are in the office, it makes
life difficult when puppies are demanding!

I understand.

Well, my thoughts are tapped! Sounds to me like you know what you're
doing. Good luck and best wishes for continued good pup health and
happiness.

Old December 31st 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

On 2006-12-30 15:57:47 -0500, Robin Nuttall said:

We've never had any dogs that we knew were kept with mom & siblings for
at least 8 weeks and that's something we think will be very beneficial.
DH is talking about waiting just a little longer if possible, but he's
not the one doing the brunt of the work!

Neo may have ideas on that. She may leave them before 8 weeks and cut
them off. Or she may, as Viva did, never really wean them and you have
to just take them away. Viva never refused to nurse, even when it was
clearly uncomfortable.

We're letting her sleep in the bedroom with us at night and getting up
to feed her and let her nurse the puppies. She seems to appreciate time
away, but she's VERY concerned about the puppies. I think it's going to
be hard for her to let go when the time comes, which will be sad
(probably for all of us).

It will, but she's been such a super mother I think you may be surprised
at how she changes in the next 2-3 weeks.

Old December 31st 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Susan Fraser

I think it's going to
be hard for her to let go when the time comes, which will be sad
(probably for all of us).

It will, but she's been such a super mother I think you may be surprised
at how she changes in the next 2-3 weeks.

Here's the ending of a story I wrote when Shammie's puppies were about
this old:

Then I look into the eyes of the redhead and know that she will handle
letting her babies go with her usual aplomb and dignity, even while in
my shortsightedness I blubber and babble. I see that I have been
blessed to be a part, however small, of this miracle of joy that she
has conceived and will release into the world, this bequest that is the
gift of her pups. I know that for however short a time my life was
graced by sharing her brood, it is a better life for the laughter and
exertion and nurturing they infused it with.

Once again I gaze into the redhead's eyes and wish time could stand
still and I could hold onto this moment, this life, this love, forever.
But in reality, I know that one day I will have to say goodbye to her,
too. I have no doubt that she will once again handle that parting with
a great deal more dignity than I. When that time comes, I will try to
remember how she loved her pups with all her heart and soul, but
graciously let them go when it was time.

I have so much more to learn from the redhead about love and dignity
and letting go. I hope I can learn it in the time she has left to teach
me.

Susan Fraser and the AuH2Ok9s:
SheBop, Shammie (The Redhead)
and Gris-Gris (the one I just couldn't bear to let go)

Old December 31st 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sun, 31 Dec 2006 06:09:53 GMT, "Susan Fraser" wrote:

Here's the ending of a story I wrote when Shammie's puppies were about
this old:

Oh, Susan, that is beautiful! Now my nose is all snotty...

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
-- Mark Twain