CA Natural & Gas?

Old December 31st 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

Default CA Natural & Gas?

I currently feed CA Natural Lamb and Rice to my dogs. It helped greatly
in dealing with Maui's ear infections (zero ear problems since starting the
food). But, I've noticed for the past several weeks that Maui has frequent
and terrible gas. Could this be related to the food? Anyone else notice
something like this? I've called the vet about it but she seems to think
that other than the smell, gas is not a problem and I don't need to do
anything about it. However, I'd like to find the problem and fix it. If it
means changing the food, I guess I will need to find one without chicken
(ear problems) or lamb (possible gas problems).

Old December 31st 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
I currently feed CA Natural Lamb and Rice to my dogs. It helped

greatly
in dealing with Maui's ear infections (zero ear problems since starting

the
food). But, I've noticed for the past several weeks that Maui has

frequent
and terrible gas.

........I'd try digestive enzymes and/or probiotics before changing the food
again.

Old December 31st 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

I currently feed CA Natural Lamb and Rice to my dogs. It helped
greatly
in dealing with Maui's ear infections (zero ear problems since starting

the
food). But, I've noticed for the past several weeks that Maui has

frequent
and terrible gas.

.......I'd try digestive enzymes and/or probiotics before changing the
food
again.

thanks for the suggestion, this is something I hadn't considered. I will
look into this option more.

Old January 1st 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 00:00:10 -0500, "MauiJNP" wrote:

I currently feed CA Natural Lamb and Rice to my dogs. It helped greatly
in dealing with Maui's ear infections (zero ear problems since starting the
food). But, I've noticed for the past several weeks that Maui has frequent
and terrible gas. Could this be related to the food? Anyone else notice
something like this? I've called the vet about it but she seems to think
that other than the smell, gas is not a problem and I don't need to do
anything about it. However, I'd like to find the problem and fix it. If it
means changing the food, I guess I will need to find one without chicken
(ear problems) or lamb (possible gas problems).

Has it been closely correlated to the CA Natural change or to anything
else that might be causing it? I think some breeds and some
individual dogs are just gassy no matter what they eat. But if he
hasn't had the problem until recently, it probably isn't just him,
thank goodness. There are other protein bases in foods, so don't
panic if it is the food. It might not be the chicken that gave him
the ear problems, either. Doesn't CA Natural have a chicken and not
much else formulation you could try to see if he can do chicken but it
was one of the other ingredients that gave him the ear problems?

My allergic dog does eats a salmon based food usually and now all the
dogs eat it because they love the stinky salmon smell. Anna takes
some of it with her when she takes her dog to stay at her dad's for
the weekend and reports that her stepmom's sheltie refuses to eat her
food and steals Faith's salmony food when it is available. So even if
chicken and lamb are the two most common protein sources and they are
out, there are still other healthy and apparently yummy options.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old January 1st 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

Has it been closely correlated to the CA Natural change or to anything
else that might be causing it?

the only other thing I can think of is possible stress. Maui has always
been a sensitive dog and for the past several months, I've been babysitting
my 2 year old nephew almost everyday so his mom can go back to school. This
has changed my main focus at home to be the care and safety of my nephew and
not the dogs. The dogs are not getting ignored or anything, just not the
same kind of attention/focus as before. And my nephew is very good with the
dogs. We take them out, for walks, to the park, play with them and my
nephew even likes to feed them. He teaches them tricks and always wants to
give them treats. They are getting almost the same amount of attention I
would say as before but its divided between two people and more spread out.
They are having more "free time" than normal, where they aren't crated, just
entertaining themselves. I am not sure if this change in routine is
bothering Maui or if it is the food.

I think some breeds and some
individual dogs are just gassy no matter what they eat. But if he
hasn't had the problem until recently, it probably isn't just him,
thank goodness. There are other protein bases in foods, so don't
panic if it is the food. It might not be the chicken that gave him
the ear problems, either. Doesn't CA Natural have a chicken and not
much else formulation you could try to see if he can do chicken but it
was one of the other ingredients that gave him the ear problems?

I can look into that too. I started looking into the probotics recommended
in another post and I definately need to read more about that too.

My allergic dog does eats a salmon based food usually and now all the
dogs eat it because they love the stinky salmon smell. Anna takes
some of it with her when she takes her dog to stay at her dad's for
the weekend and reports that her stepmom's sheltie refuses to eat her
food and steals Faith's salmony food when it is available. So even if
chicken and lamb are the two most common protein sources and they are
out, there are still other healthy and apparently yummy options.

sounds good, the other foods I found were duck, venison, trout, salmon and
whitefish based. Seems like a good variety of options if that's what I need
to do.

Old January 1st 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

thanks for the suggestion, this is something I hadn't considered. I will
look into this option more.

Our vet suggested Beano for Doodle.

I'll have to ask the vet about that. Both dogs have their yearly checkup
soon and I am already making a list of things to talk about with the vet.