Dog swallows chicken drumsticks

Old January 1st 07, 05:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Default Dog swallows chicken drumsticks

Well, counter surfing at parties pays off. Temporarily. My dog got 2
chicken drumsticks, cooked, and ate them quickly and completely before I
noticed. Now I'm wondering how long I need to stare at her and watch for
problems. I think it's going to be a long night of worrying.

At the first sign of anything, I'll be taking her to the emergency
hospital. Or should I take her before she shows signs of problems?? These
could pass uneventfully, right?

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
-- Mark Twain
Old January 1st 07, 06:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
AMB

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 23:50:59 -0600, Lynne
wrote:

At the first sign of anything, I'll be taking her to the emergency
hospital. Or should I take her before she shows signs of problems?? These
could pass uneventfully, right?

My last dog got ahold of chicken bones and didn't have a problem,
thank goodness. If I remember from what I looked up at the time (and
read here since), you should keep an eye on her behavior and condition
of her stools for the next 2-3 days. I don't remember reading
anything about changing or limiting her normal food intake.

Is this all part of her Master Plan? To bring in the new year with
the focus on her, her, HER?? If so, well, then, it worked.

Good luck,

Anne
and Baxter (who's laying here hoping the New Year fireworks have
finished)

Old January 1st 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Mon, 01 Jan 2007 06:54:01 GMT, AMB wrote:

My last dog got ahold of chicken bones and didn't have a problem,
thank goodness. If I remember from what I looked up at the time (and
read here since), you should keep an eye on her behavior and condition
of her stools for the next 2-3 days. I don't remember reading
anything about changing or limiting her normal food intake.

Thank you, Anne. I'm glad your dog didn't have any problems! That gives
me comfort. I scoured the web and it looks like the most common problem
isn't internal perferation (thank doG!), but impaction, so I'll be
keeping an eye on her. She had one perfectly perfect poop this morning.
She looked at me like I was nuts when I praised her so much, hehe.

Is this all part of her Master Plan? To bring in the new year with
the focus on her, her, HER?? If so, well, then, it worked.

I'm sure that was her plan!

Good luck,

Thanks again.

Old January 1st 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Mon, 01 Jan 2007 18:55:05 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

I know you'll be watching her like a hawk and here's hoping everything
passes uneventfully!

Thanks, Montana. She is very curious why I keep following her around
outside and looking at her back end.

Old January 2nd 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Well today Roxy has some major rumblings going on in her tummy... Poop
patrol day 2. I hope everything comes out okay.

Would giving her some olive oil help if there is a potential for impaction?
I read that somewhere on the 'net but it was a suggestion from JQP.

I went through something similar with my kitten when he was only 4 weeks
old. He chewed off and swallowed a latex teat. The emergency hospital
said there was nothing to do but wait and watch. Fortunately he was fine,
but I was on pins and needles. Here I am again!

--
Lynne
Old January 2nd 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Tue, 02 Jan 2007 13:45:18 GMT, Lynne
wrote:

Would giving her some olive oil help if there is a potential for
impaction? I read that somewhere on the 'net but it was a suggestion
from JQP.

The vet said to give her canned pumpkin. Here's hoping!

--
Lynne
Old January 2nd 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 08:51:02 -0600, Lynne
, clicked their heels and said:

The vet said to give her canned pumpkin. Here's hoping!

pumpkin is great. It helps diarrhea, constipation, and just helps
things move along smoothly. We always have some in the house.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old January 2nd 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Tue, 02 Jan 2007 15:12:43 GMT, Janet B
wrote:

pumpkin is great. It helps diarrhea, constipation, and just helps
things move along smoothly. We always have some in the house.

I will now. My mother, bless her heart, is making a pumpkin run for us
now!

--
Lynne
Old January 2nd 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

wrote:

pumpkin is great. It helps diarrhea, constipation, and just helps
things move along smoothly. We always have some in the house.

Okay, Roxy LOVED the pumpkin (so did the cats!). I have her about 3/4 cup.
I should have asked the vet but didn't--how much and how often should I
feed it to her?

--
Lynne

Old January 2nd 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 09:57:19 -0600, Lynne
, clicked their heels and said:

Okay, Roxy LOVED the pumpkin (so did the cats!). I have her about 3/4 cup.
I should have asked the vet but didn't--how much and how often should I
feed it to her?

If I want to get things moving (solidly and smoothly), I've given as
much as a whole can (to 60-65# dogs). Very orange poop, but didn't
cause loose stools. How much does Roxy weigh again?