Happy New Year / 4 week old puppies

Old January 1st 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

Default Happy New Year / 4 week old puppies

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 08:54:20 -0500, montana wildhack
, clicked their heels and said:

Puppies are beginning to scamper about (I'll try later for video) and
are generally entering their most appealing stage.

I love having a vicarious litter of puppies! I check in with them
when I want to, get a good night's sleep, etc. What an awesome way to
experience a litter! Of course, I do miss out on the puppy breath and
cuddly stuff, but I think I'll keep my version!

--
Janet Boss
Old January 1st 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 11:35:59 -0500, montana wildhack
, clicked their heels and said:

But they are cuddly and their cuteness makes humans want to keep them
and feed them and care for them...

I wouldn't want to keep my hands off of Comet. He's my favorite ;-D
--
Janet Boss
Old January 1st 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Mon, 01 Jan 2007 17:00:37 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

He's getting cuter by the day, as is Ling-Ling, the other puppy whom he
most resembles.

I'd also have to say something good about each of them, because they
really do each have a certain "something." I love that Gigi wants to
cuddle, that Bear makes great eye contact, that Dancer looks like a
stuffed toy and is the most adventurous, and Ling-Ling is, I think,
most playful. Comet is now getting a lot of white in his face and I
love the changes.

They all sounds so adorable (and the photos proove it)! Which one are you
keeping?

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
-- Mark Twain
Old January 1st 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Mon, 01 Jan 2007 18:48:25 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

I really hope we can find them all homes, because I don't know what
we're going to do if we can't.

Have you considered contacting a local all breed rescue for help? They can
probably get potential adopters in contact with you, and bonus! they will
be screened. They can also probably place a courtesy listing on Petfinder
with your contact information.

Honestly, the pups are so adorable and getting such a great start that I
really can't imagine you won't be able to place them all. I'd get to work
on finding homes now, though, even though you will be keeping them for
another 8 (?) weeks.

Old January 1st 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Mon, 01 Jan 2007 19:33:55 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

We are getting the word out and have three potentials. It will be
easier when people can visit the puppies. We're looking at another 4
weeks! They can't leave before they are 8 weeks old, but they can go to
new homes anytime after that.

Oh, well, see--you are well on your way!!

Can't people start visiting the puppies now? (I have no idea about these
things.)

We can put an ad in our very local newspaper and we can put an "ad" in
DH's church's monthly newsletter. But we are hearing more stories about
people who have lost their beloved old dogs and so we know there are
some broken hearts that could be helped by loving a puppy.

Poor DH was very against getting a puppy (Bella) shortly after Spencer
died - he was our heart - but I thought I wanted a puppy. My mother had
died, Spencer died and I was so deep into grief I couldn't function.
Having a baby puppy really helped me deal with my grief. She had too
many needs!

We're crazy about that Bella. And I've got it stuck in my head that
puppies help deliver us from grief.

I agree with you 1000%. I was going through a very terrible grieving
period when Roxy came into my life (2 close friends had just died). I
credit her with getting me through it. I tend to shut down and withdraw
when I am overwhelmed, and she kept me from doing so. All that
unconditional love is very inspiring, and healing. And a puppy's total
dependence on you keeps you from collapsing. I often marvel at how much
I love this little mutt, but she deserves it.

I hope Neo's little pups will heal some hurting hearts. With the start
you are giving them, I have no doubt they are going to be wonderful dogs.

Old January 2nd 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

montana wildhack wrote in

It will be
easier when people can visit the puppies. We're looking at another 4
weeks!

They can't go to a new home before that, but I was under the impression
that meeting plenty of new people now would be a *good* thing?

Might even be a good way to start getting to know the prosepctive adopters
and seeing which pups might be a good match for them.

Tara
Old January 2nd 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

montana wildhack wrote in

On 2007-01-02 13:46:26 -0500, Tara said:

They can't go to a new home before that, but I was under the impression
that meeting plenty of new people now would be a *good* thing?

Might even be a good way to start getting to know the prosepctive
adopters and seeing which pups might be a good match for them.

We didn't want people over here until they were 4 weeks old (check) and
until we'd moved them downstairs (today). And yes, it would be good to
introduce people to the puppies.

Ahhhh, gotcha.

I think I'm caught up now....though I could be wrong seeing as I'm severely
sleep deprived.

Tara
Old January 2nd 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
ceb

On 2007-01-02 13:46:26 -0500, Tara said:

They can't go to a new home before that, but I was under the impression
that meeting plenty of new people now would be a *good* thing?

Might even be a good way to start getting to know the prosepctive
adopters and seeing which pups might be a good match for them.

We didn't want people over here until they were 4 weeks old (check) and
until we'd moved them downstairs (today). And yes, it would be good to
introduce people to the puppies.

I'll be right over. Now, I need a plane ticket to... where?

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old January 3rd 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Woost

montana wildhack wrote:
We didn't want people over here until they were 4 weeks old (check) and
until we'd moved them downstairs (today). And yes, it would be good to
introduce people to the puppies.

People and KIDS!

Is it winter where you are?

I "watched" (online) a socialization experiment this fall by a longtime
Lhasa Apso breeder who used the local middle school kids on their way
from school to help socialize a litter. She set up a pen in her front
yard and the kids just naturally stopped and wanted to see the puppies.
Everyday she had a gaggle of nice kids interacting with the pups. And
then younger kids too. She was thrilled with the results. So are the
new owners.

Of course, they like to keep the apsos until 12 weeks, so she had extra
weeks to keep it going (they are slow on their teeth emerging AND they
need all the litter-induced bite inhabition they can get).