Leeroy?

Old January 2nd 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
jerryeveretts

Default Leeroy?

montana wildhack wrote:
How are things going? Is the young man learning to settle down at night?

I was just logging in to put up an update. Leeroy is very quickly
adapting to his routine. Three nights ago we decided to crate him next
to the big dogs and let him cry it out. We really didn't have a problem
with him sleeping with us, be he wants to play most of the night, and
after he had a pee in our bed, we were done with that.

We went to the store and bought earplugs for the whole family. My 16
year old son says it sounds like we are killing babies at our house and
he is suprised the police don't show up.

We put him in the crate, which is between the big dogs crates, he cried
for about 15 mins and went to sleep, he slept until about 7:30 AM with
one quick trip out for the potty in the middle. This was the case for
the next couple nights, about 15 mins of crying, then sleep. Last
night, we put him in the crate and he didn't even cry, he just layed
down and went to sleep.

We have been finding him retiring to his crate mid-day for a nap
occasionally, I think he is starting to get it.

If you pay attention to him, he will ask to go out, he gets all antsy
near the door, we let him out into the yard and he goes and takes care
of business. Of course my teenagers are blind or stupid and don't
notice he is asking to go out, so when they are on the watch there are
plenty of accidents.

Feeding... In all honesty, we can't keep him out of the big dog food,
thats all he wants. He rejects his food now if it is moistened, he only
wants it crunchy, and he only want's the food the big dogs eat, from
the big dogs bowls. We buy 50lb bags of food from the feed store, and
store it in a rubbermaid trash container, so we just took all the puppy
food and mixed it in and decided to feed everybody the same stuff
instead of fighting with them. He seems to be doing fine with that.

Sammi and him have become best friends, I think she may be taking care
of him, I don't know what maternal instincts look like, but he puts his
head in her mount all the time so the hair on his head is allways
nappy.

Thats all I can think of for now.. I have tons of great pictures Ill
post up later.