do drugs count as love?

Old January 6th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

Default do drugs count as love?

elegy wrote in
:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/05/news/companies/pfizer.reut/index.htm

i suppose i shouldn't be surprised.

I guess I'm not surprised.

But I am extremely nauseous.

Anyone want to bet how many people are going to go for the drug instead of
getting off their asses and actually *exercising* their dogs?

Tara
Old January 6th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sat, 06 Jan 2007 00:22:46 GMT, Tara wrote:

I guess I'm not surprised.

But I am extremely nauseous.

Anyone want to bet how many people are going to go for the drug
instead of getting off their asses and actually *exercising* their
dogs?

Sadly, it's probably going to be a huge seller, much like human diet
drugs... More proof of what I've believed for a very long time: people are
dumb.

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
-- Mark Twain
Old January 6th 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Lynne wrote:
on Sat, 06 Jan 2007 00:22:46 GMT, Tara wrote:

Anyone want to bet how many people are going to go for the drug
instead of getting off their asses and actually *exercising* their
dogs?

Sadly, it's probably going to be a huge seller, much like human diet
drugs... More proof of what I've believed for a very long time: people are
dumb.

Depending on how frequent they occur, the side effects may reduce
the sales:

"Also known as dirlotapide, the drug can also cause various side
effects, including vomiting, loose stools, diarrhea and lethargy."

FurPaw
--
Better dead than Red.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old January 6th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

elegy wrote:
long ago and far away, Tara did say:

elegy wrote in
m:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/05/news/companies/pfizer.reut/index.htm

i suppose i shouldn't be surprised.

I guess I'm not surprised.

But I am extremely nauseous.

Anyone want to bet how many people are going to go for the drug instead of
getting off their asses and actually *exercising* their dogs?

or, you know, controlling the amount of food the dog gets.

mushroom would gladly weigh 500 pounds if i'd let him. he's a boy who
loves his food.

I've got one like that. If she had her way about it she'd look like a tick.

Kathleen

Old January 6th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Sat, 06 Jan 2007 20:04:53 GMT, Kathleen
wrote:

I've got one like that. If she had her way about it she'd look like a
tick.

My Sheltie is like that, and I'm pretty sure it's a breed trait.

Old January 6th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

elegy wrote:

or, you know, controlling the amount of food the dog gets.

mushroom would gladly weigh 500 pounds if i'd let him. he's a boy who
loves his food.

We have two like that. Oppie, our yellow Lab, is an eating
machine. He defines the term, "food motivated."

And so is Chile, our chihuahua. When she was about 3, our GSD,
Dylan, was going through a finicky period. Chile duly observed
this, and one day when Dylan didn't eat her breakfast, Chile did.
We caught her just as she was licking the last molecules out of
Dylan's bowl. Despite the look of utter bliss on her face, we
thought she was going to explode!

Chile has since told me that that was the only time in her life
that she actually got enough to eat.

Despite their complaints and doleful, waif-like,
edge-of-starvation looks, we keep them where we can see the
outlines of their ribs.

FurPaw

--
Better dead than Red.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old January 7th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

FurPaw wrote in
:

Despite their complaints and doleful, waif-like,
edge-of-starvation looks, we keep them where we can see the
outlines of their ribs.

One of my clients has a Golden who I think is in *gorgeous* shape. You can
juuuuust feel his ribs when you place your fingers on his sides, and if you
press slightly, then you can then distinguish the ribs.

This client has been told countless times that his dog is underwieght.
Including by his VET! A friend of his just told him again yesterday that he
should put some weight *on* his dog. Good thing they really understand that
most dogs you see in NYC are morbidly obese, so they're not buying into the
hysteria.

What really got me, though, was when their vet (who I recommended in the
first place) said he needed to put on at least 5 pounds. This dog is *far*
from starved. And, no less than 6 dogs that came out of his breeder that
same summer ended up with CHD before they were two.

Unbelieveable.

Tara
Old January 7th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

Tara said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

This client has been told countless times that his dog is
underwieght. Including by his VET!

I don't get a lot of disparaging comments about my dogs' weight,
but that's probably because I hang out mostly with dog people.
(I also see a whole ton of "skinny" Labs.)

Friday's vet is pretty cool. He always comments on what good
shape Friday is in, though many might call him skinny.

Old January 7th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

FurPaw wrote in
:

Lynne wrote:
on Sat, 06 Jan 2007 00:22:46 GMT, Tara wrote:

Anyone want to bet how many people are going to go for the drug
instead of getting off their asses and actually *exercising* their
dogs?

Sadly, it's probably going to be a huge seller, much like human diet
drugs... More proof of what I've believed for a very long time:
people are dumb.

Depending on how frequent they occur, the side effects may reduce
the sales:

"Also known as dirlotapide, the drug can also cause various side
effects, including vomiting, loose stools, diarrhea and lethargy."

FurPaw

Yeah, your average lazy American too lazy to walk the dog would
definitely prefer a fat dog to cleaning up diarrhea all over the place.
Either that or you'd have the dog kicked outside full time while on diet
pills. It makes me sad that people take diet pills so much. Giving them
to dogs instead of healthier alternatives is even sadder. I'm sure there
are dogs out there who can't lose on diet and exercise and need to lose
right away (extreme circumstances), but the norm will probably be peple
wanting a quick fix and no effort on their part.

Paula
Old January 8th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"Suja" wrote in
:

That's not unusual, I don't think. Isabelle is in extremely
good shape . At the last vet visit, the vet (a temp, covering on
the weekend) told them that he can see her ribs, and she needs
to put on more weight. The owner didn't say anything.
According to him, nothing needed to be said, because 'The guy is
clearly a dumbass'.

Yep. At least on the subject of canine fitness. I've had the same
experience with several vets telling me that Harriet is
underweight. IDTS. And one, who was otherwise a great vet,
recommended that I feed Elliott white bread to bulk him up. O ick.

--
Shelly

Never put a sock in a toaster.
-- Eddie Izzard