Advice for incontinence

Old January 7th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Advice for incontinence

Hi,

I have a 14-year old Scottie named Lucky. As of late he has little
control of his urination and bowels, and will dribble and soil himself
many times during the day. Right now I give him a bath every evening
and leave old towels on the floor for him to sit on, but I can't watch
him all the time, and I can't give him baths all the time (particularly
when I'm at work or asleep). Please give me suggestions to better take
care of him. Thanks!

Old January 7th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Janet B wrote:
On 7 Jan 2007 06:44:57 -0800, , clicked their
heels and said:

I have a 14-year old Scottie named Lucky. As of late he has little
control of his urination and bowels, and will dribble and soil himself
many times during the day. Right now I give him a bath every evening
and leave old towels on the floor for him to sit on, but I can't watch
him all the time, and I can't give him baths all the time (particularly
when I'm at work or asleep). Please give me suggestions to better take
care of him. Thanks!

This is a tough part of our aging dogs. You can use diapers, you can
keep him in a confined area with something cleaner and more aborbent
than towels, or you can provide him with an outdoor area if he's able
to recognize the need to get out, but that doesn't sound like the
situation. I personally think quality of life for people and animals,
is a very important thing.

Hi Janet,
Thanks for the advice. I've tried diapers. Unfortunately Scotties'
anatomies are such that a diaper for a dog his size doesn't come near
to covering what should be covered, not to mention they cause worse
soiling and he seems uncomfortable in one.

Also his control isn't sufficient to go outside--in fact he even
strains himself trying to go when I let him out or walk him. Also I
don't want to confine him, since he really *HATES* being excluded from
the living area. The only thing i can think of is to cover the floor in
plastic sheets that are easily cleaned.

Old January 7th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Sun, 07 Jan 2007 15:46:09 GMT, " santiago538
@yahoo.com wrote:

Also his control isn't sufficient to go outside--in fact he even
strains himself trying to go when I let him out or walk him. Also I
don't want to confine him, since he really *HATES* being excluded from
the living area. The only thing i can think of is to cover the floor in
plastic sheets that are easily cleaned.

Have you considered training him to go on puppy pads, and distributing
those strategically around the areas of the house where he might need them?

--
Lynne

"Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to
laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself." ~ Kahlil Gibran
Old January 7th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On 7 Jan 2007 07:46:09 -0800, "
, clicked their heels and said:

Also I
don't want to confine him, since he really *HATES* being excluded from
the living area. The only thing i can think of is to cover the floor in
plastic sheets that are easily cleaned.

Kimberly-Clark makes something called "Neat Sheets", which are
cloth-like but waterproof, and washable. I used them liberally with a
cat with physical problems, and they were better than some
alternatives. An excerise pen in the living area would keep his
wandering to a minimum, and the space a bit cleaner as a result.

Is he still eating well? Is he on any medication for arthritis or
such (elimination issues can often be aided by taking pain away from
weight bearing joints)?

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old January 7th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Janet B wrote:
On 7 Jan 2007 07:46:09 -0800, "
, clicked their heels and said:

Also I
don't want to confine him, since he really *HATES* being excluded from
the living area. The only thing i can think of is to cover the floor in
plastic sheets that are easily cleaned.

Kimberly-Clark makes something called "Neat Sheets", which are
cloth-like but waterproof, and washable. I used them liberally with a
cat with physical problems, and they were better than some
alternatives. An excerise pen in the living area would keep his
wandering to a minimum, and the space a bit cleaner as a result.

Thanks very much--the Neat Sheets are exactly what I would be looking
for!

Is he still eating well? Is he on any medication for arthritis or
such (elimination issues can often be aided by taking pain away from
weight bearing joints)?

He has lost 5 lbs. between visits to the vet (in May and December last
year). His eating habits haven't changed all that much other than he
eats less dry food and I stopped giving him foods with dairy products
last summer since it gives him diarrhea. Nonetheless, his vet gave him
a clean bill of health.

He isn't taking any arthritis mediaction, though his gait has gotten
somewhat unsteady lately, but doesn't seem to be in pain and will go
running after rabbits and squirrels. Should I see about getting
arthritis medication?

Old January 8th 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"crosem" wrote in message
oups.com...
we used to use my brother's underpants when our dog was in heat...with
the tail going out the slit...worked like a charm...

.......heh! With or without his permission? ;-)

Old January 8th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...
He has lost 5 lbs. between visits to the vet (in May and December last
year). His eating habits haven't changed all that much other than he
eats less dry food and I stopped giving him foods with dairy products
last summer since it gives him diarrhea. Nonetheless, his vet gave him
a clean bill of health.

.........so there were no prostate problems?