Vet Detective: What is Wrong with My Dog?

Old January 7th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
crosem

Default Vet Detective: What is Wrong with My Dog?

English cocker spaniel, neutered male, 6 years old. Began exhibiting
listlessness Wednesday evening (today is Sunday). Thursday afternoon
ate part of a 1" x 3" ball of aluminum foil. Thursday evening, vomited
a small amount with just 1-2 tiny bits of foil in it; most of foil was
found in bits on floor previously. Listlessness continued. Gave medium
shriek of pain upon jaw/snout being moved from side to side. Friday
afternoon, took to vet. Thorough exam, no temperature, nothing found
outside mildly inflamed gums. Prescribed Rimardyl (anti-inflammatory)
and amoxicillin (antibiotic). Saturday, about 20% improvement in
listlessness, tale more waggy, but nothing up to the norm. Gave mild
shriek of pain upon rising from long nap, seemed to limp on back legs
for 3-4 steps, then walked normally. Same this morning (Sunday). No
further improvement in listlessness, subdued manner. Eating and
drinking and eliminating normally and on schedule. Examined and
manipulated all joints with no signs of pain, no lumps or bumps found
anywhere on body.
My only theory is bowel obstruction (missing amount of foil...but all
the other foil found, both on the floor and in the vomit was TINY
little pieces)...pain is caused by lump of foil moving around
inside...listlessness caused by pain...but would that theory be negated
by normal bowel movements? Sorry for the long note. We will be back
to the vet Monday morning, of course. Thank you for any ideas.

Old January 8th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"crosem" wrote in message
oups.com...
English cocker spaniel, neutered male, 6 years old. Began exhibiting
listlessness Wednesday evening (today is Sunday).

snip
Gave mild
shriek of pain upon rising from long nap, seemed to limp on back legs
for 3-4 steps, then walked normally. Same this morning (Sunday). No
further improvement in listlessness, subdued manner. Eating and
drinking and eliminating normally and on schedule.

........Could be anything really. Since it started before eating tinfoil,
doubt that's the cause. I'd have a full blood panel run - CBC and chem
profile to start. If you have any doubt the foil is a problem get an
X-ray - it will show up.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old January 9th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
crosem

VERY happy to report he is more than halfway back to his normal
self...perhaps we will never know what was wrong...

buglady wrote:
oups.com...

Old January 9th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"crosem" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

==========
I wonder if there are some sharp pieces of foil stuck up inside her nose or
inside the pads on her paws. Did the vet check those areas?

Old January 10th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
crosem

thank you for your note...yes, his paws, nose, mouth, etc. were
inspected most thoroughly...he is regaining more pep every day...I am
100% faithful in giving him his medicine (more so than giving myself MY
medicine!) and it is helping!

pfoley wrote:
oups.com...

Old January 21st 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
crosem

here is the diagnosis: he has a ruptured disc in his neck, was already
on Rimadyl when all they could find was slightly inflamed gums,
recovered in record time, did not even have to be restrained in a crate
for 4 weeks, back to normal in less than 2 weeks. Xrays that diagnosed
the ruptured disc turned up a slightly (20-25%) enlarged heart, which
was asymptomatic, and he will be on enalapril 2x day for ever. so,
silver lining...

tinfoil ingestion totally unrelated to any of this, of course. I must
pat myself on the back for noting that listlessness began shortly
BEFORE tinfoil ingestion...

crosem wrote:
thank you for your note...yes, his paws, nose, mouth, etc. were
inspected most thoroughly...he is regaining more pep every day...I am
100% faithful in giving him his medicine (more so than giving myself MY
medicine!) and it is helping!

pfoley wrote:
oups.com...

Old January 21st 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"crosem" wrote in message
oups.com...
here is the diagnosis: he has a ruptured disc in his neck

...........Thanks for posting back. Am glad your pup healed up fast. I
think I'd still be a little careful of what he does for a while.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Getting into the Wrong Side of the Bed Update shelly Dog behavior 12 November 22nd 06 09:33 PM
Desperate to find convincing info that father-in-law has chosen wrong breed with adopted Weimaraner [ninnyboy] [jerry] [email protected] Dog behavior 0 January 10th 06 09:57 AM
To All Dog Owners CB Dogs - general 3 July 31st 05 09:48 AM
learning to talk wrong Marie Dog behavior 5 July 17th 04 03:22 PM
Puppy growth and behavior (aka Am I doing something wrong??) Aaron Dog behavior 2 July 28th 03 09:33 PM