Please don't breed your pet

Old January 7th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lynne

Default Please don't breed your pet

*sigh*

One of my dearest friends is hell bent on breeding her pet Siberian Husky.
I've talked to her about this on many occasions, at length, but nothing I
say will convince her not to do so. I've even shown her how many pure-bred
Huskies are in rescues, yet she still won't budge. Her reasons are
typical. "I want my son to experience the miracle of birth." "She's a
great dog and I know her puppies will be, too"

She's so smart otherwise.

I get really damn frustrated with people who breed their pets. What's
worse is that she got her dog from a BYB.

--
Lynne

"Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to
laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself." ~ Kahlil Gibran
Old January 7th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lynne

on Sun, 07 Jan 2007 17:24:52 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

Forget the other messages; she's not hearing it. Ask her how many hours
in the day and night she has to devote to the puppies and the mom.
There seems to be an idea that nature just takes care of everything and
all the humans do is smile down on the puppies, but that ain't reality.

She is a teacher and plans on breeding the dog so that the puppies are
born in the summer when she doesn't have to work. Even without working
she has WAY too much on her plate. I hope I can talk her out of this. I
told her she at least needs to wait until her bitch is 2 years old (she's
not even 1 yet). I also told her she needs to have a bunch of medical
tests run on her and check her pedigree as well as the potential sire's
for the same, but I don't think she's going to do that. I'm hoping that
perhaps the dog's messy heats will help convince her to get the dog
spayed before she's 2, assuming she'll even wait that long to breed
her...

Old January 7th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Margaret

"Lynne" wrote in message
m...
*sigh*

One of my dearest friends is hell bent on breeding her pet Siberian Husky.
I've talked to her about this on many occasions, at length, but nothing I
say will convince her not to do so. I've even shown her how many
pure-bred
Huskies are in rescues, yet she still won't budge. Her reasons are
typical. "I want my son to experience the miracle of birth."

I don't have titles or sites but I know it is possible to buy tapes showing
"the miracle of birth." Also, since it appears, she's never had a litter
before, she might want to read some of the books on "birthing" puppies and
all the things that happen and can go wrong.
Is she prepared to have written contracts for her puppy buyers?
Does she have a waiting list for puppies?
etc.
etc.

Margaret

Old January 7th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lynne

on Sun, 07 Jan 2007 17:47:54 GMT, "Margaret"
wrote:

I don't have titles or sites but I know it is possible to buy tapes
showing "the miracle of birth." Also, since it appears, she's never
had a litter before, she might want to read some of the books on
"birthing" puppies and all the things that happen and can go wrong.

That's an approach I haven't tried yet. Thanks, Margaret.

Is she prepared to have written contracts for her puppy buyers?
Does she have a waiting list for puppies?

Hardly. I told her that she, AT THE VERY LEAST, needed to take
responsibility of each and every pup for their entire lives with a
contract that required the buyers to return the pups to her if for any
reason they could not keep them FOR AS LONG AS THEY LIVE. She said she
didn't have to sign such a contract with her breeder...

Old January 7th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lynne

Your puppy pages should highlight the negative sides of rearing a litter.
Photos of **** covered puppies and towels and the haggard people who care
for them.

Old January 7th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Lynne wrote:
One of my dearest friends is hell bent on breeding her pet Siberian Husky.
I've talked to her about this on many occasions, at length, but nothing I
say will convince her not to do so. I've even shown her how many pure-bred
Huskies are in rescues, yet she still won't budge. Her reasons are
typical. "I want my son to experience the miracle of birth." "She's a
great dog and I know her puppies will be, too"

!!! She should subscribe to SIBERNET-L, where she'll get to
see post after post after post after post looking for people
to rescue this dog or that dog because the rescue groups are
out of room. Hopefully she'd also pick up some of the
culture around [not] breeding.

Here's a heartwarming miracle-of-life story from one of the
top racing Siberian kennels in the northeast. These folks
are excellent dog people and generally know what they're
doing, but this was their first unassisted delivery:

Wednesday evening she was beginning to drip a light
colored fluid but she was not irritable or showing
visible signs of contractions. We kept her under close
watch for the evening and on Thursday morning, she
wanted desperately to be back in her whelping box. At
2:20, the first puppy came. I have never whelped a
litter by myself, nor had to assist before. Our
foundation bitch was a dream when it came to this
process. Ivory began to clean herself before starting to
remove the sack so I started to help her. The pup was
all white, nice size. It wasn't moving, so I immediately
checked for a heartbeat with a stethoscope. There was
none. In hindsight, I now believe this pup could be
alive today but at the time, I didn't know what to do,
other than humanly wrap it in newspaper and put it in
the freezer.

2 1/2 hours go by, nothing. No more contractions or
signs of distress. Now I'm getting nervous. Somebody
told me that 8 hours is not unusual between pups but I
couldn't see myself waiting that long and possibly
dealing with an emergency room visit. I called the vet
at 4:30. Told him I wanted to bring her in for a shot of
Oxytocin. Arrived at the vet's office about 40 minutes
later and Ivory is just lying comfortably in the
crate. My vet has personal reservations about using
Oxytocin and he talked me into a C-section. By the size
of Ivory's belly and knowing she still had 4 pups to go,
we prepped her for surgery. At this point, we all
noticed black flecks in the drops of fluid which
reassured the idea that a c-section was necessary
(something was wrong).

I have to say, we found ourselves a wonderful, patient
and understanding veterinarian. Without hesitation, the
vet asked me to assist with the procedure and explained
how to aggressively rub the puppies to "wake them up"
and that it may take awhile before they start to
breathe. Watching the subQ layer being cut wasn't bad,
it was the next layer that was disturbing. Immediately
after he made the incision, a ton of fluid poured out of
her. My stomach is actually feeling queasy even writing
about this. This fluid was now the third sign of a
complication. As the vet then began to pull out the
individual puppies still wrapped in the placenta from
the uterus, the problem showed itself - a tear in the
wall of her uterus 2-3 inches in size and not one, but
two!!! The second one was discovered mid-way through the
removal of the pups. One pup was bloated and had cleft
pallet, and the third to die was contorted in such a
fashion in the uterus that it's kidney were crushed. Had
we opted for Oxytocin early on, who knows how many more
pups would have been crushed to death. While Ivory was
under anesthesia and already opened, I decided to have
her spayed. At the age of 7, there is no need for her or
a future owner to have to deal with this again.

Mind you, experiencing that would be a pretty good way to
guarantee the son will never be tempted to breed a dog. Think
of future generations!

Old January 7th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Rocky

Lynne said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Her reasons are
typical. "I want my son to experience the miracle of
birth." "She's a great dog and I know her puppies will be,
too"

Have your friend run her plans through the virtual breeder:
http://www.geocities.com/bluegracepw...lbreeding.html

Old January 7th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Margaret

m...
wrote:

I don't have titles or sites but I know it is possible to buy tapes
showing "the miracle of birth." Also, since it appears, she's never
had a litter before, she might want to read some of the books on
"birthing" puppies and all the things that happen and can go wrong.

That's an approach I haven't tried yet. Thanks, Margaret.

Is she prepared to have written contracts for her puppy buyers?
Does she have a waiting list for puppies?

Hardly. I told her that she, AT THE VERY LEAST, needed to take
responsibility of each and every pup for their entire lives with a
contract that required the buyers to return the pups to her if for any
reason they could not keep them FOR AS LONG AS THEY LIVE. She said she
didn't have to sign such a contract with her breeder...

--
Lynne

A quick Google search "whelping videos" produced a number of resources.

www.pinnaclepetsuppy.com has a 90 minute DVD which address, among other
things, temperature taking, giving oxytocin, resuscitation, & cleft palates.
Is your friend familiar with these things?

Also, what if mom dies? Can your friend hand raise a litter?
What if one or more puppies dies? Does she want her child to see the
miracle of death also?

I went through a similar (fruitless) argument with a (former) friend re. the
breeding of mini poodles. Stupid and stubborn are adjectives that come to
mind.

Good Luck.
Margaret

Old January 7th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Shelly

Lynne wrote in
m:

Her reasons are typical. "I want my son to experience the
miracle of birth." "She's a great dog and I know her puppies
will be, too"

And if her bitch dies, they can experience the miracle of death,
too. What fun! Don't think it can happen? It can, even when you
do *everything* right.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...msg/a6af328a0d
5d2bb5

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...msg/c9d3d04038
c0308b

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...msg/69c5aba97c
1fe365

And then they can experience the miracle of caring for orphaned
pups.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...msg/1b25542ef7
95dce9

I get really damn frustrated with people who breed their pets.
What's worse is that she got her dog from a BYB.

That really does *not* surprise me.

--
Shelly

When I go out into the countryside and see the sun and the green
and everything flowering, I say to myself "Yes indeed, all that
belongs to me!"
-- Henri Rousseau
Old January 7th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lynne

on Sun, 07 Jan 2007 18:26:29 GMT, "Melinda Shore"
wrote:

Mind you, experiencing that would be a pretty good way to
guarantee the son will never be tempted to breed a dog. Think
of future generations!

I think you and everyone who has brought up the risk of death to the bitch
and/or puppies have just given me the ammo I need. Her husband and older
son both died within 2 months of each other 2 years ago. Her living son is
very troubled, understandably. She won't want to risk that kind of trauma
to him, or to herself.