Leeroy

Old January 8th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
jerryeveretts

Default Leeroy

Update. Leeroy is becomming a big boy quite fast. He is around 8 weeks
now. Accidents in the house are becomming infrequent, he is going in
and out with the big dogs. He is eating with the big dogs, and goes
into his crate on command with the big dogs. Sleeping though the night
is no longer a problem, he goes into his crate and sleeps all night
long. waking up to potty around 7AM.

He gets very aggressive during play, I assume this is normal? When he
bites a human during play, I give him a loud and aggressive "NO!", if
he does it again I give him another "NO!" and forcefully push him away
or smack his nose. This is usually followed by him then stopping the
biting and doing a lot of licking. I think he is getting it, as the
first "NO!" usually does the trick now and no physical intervention is
necessary. Once we leave this biting habit by the side of the road, he
will be pretty much trouble free. It is amazing how fast he is growing
up.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...tts/leeroy.jpg

Old January 8th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On 8 Jan 2007 07:26:43 -0800, "jerryeveretts" ,
clicked their heels and said:

He gets very aggressive during play, I assume this is normal? When he
bites a human during play, I give him a loud and aggressive "NO!", if
he does it again I give him another "NO!" and forcefully push him away
or smack his nose.

Don't smack his nose - good way to make a dog hand shy. What and how
are you playing during these episodes? I believe in making dogs yield
to me (moving into them) to back off, rather than making it a physical
push/pull.

This is usually followed by him then stopping the
biting and doing a lot of licking.

Praise the licking! "Good kisses" or such!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...tts/leeroy.jpg

He is getting huge. And he's just too cute for words.

--
Janet Boss
Old January 8th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
jerryeveretts

Don't smack his nose - good way to make a dog hand shy. What and how
are you playing during these episodes? I believe in making dogs yield
to me (moving into them) to back off, rather than making it a physical
push/pull.

Good advice, thanks. Well, when he gets REALLY excited, the game he
seems to like is ATTACK!, he growls like crazy, will bite your shirt or
clothes and shake his head back and forth while growling. He will lock
on so hard that when pulling him off he can tear your clothes. Usually
around this point the very loud yell will stop him in his tracks and he
then gets a bit submissive and starts licking. This is with me, the
teenagers don't come across as very dominant or forcefull with him and
they have not as good results.

The reason I was smacking him, was I was trying to emulate what his
mother would do by barking and biting back when he gets too aggressive.

And this behaviour is the exception, not the rule, but he can get quite
aggressive some times.

Old January 8th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"jerryeveretts" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

============
What a beautiful photo; he is so handsome.

Old January 8th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...tts/leeroy.jpg

that's a great picture!

Old January 8th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

awwwwww, what a cutie

Celeste

Old January 9th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:26:43 GMT, "jerryeveretts"
wrote:

It is amazing how fast he is growing
up.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...tts/leeroy.jpg

What a great photo! Thanks for sharing, and don't be shy about it in the
future.

--
Lynne

Leeroy? jerryeveretts Dog health 0 January 2nd 07 03:03 PM
LeeRoy Jenkins jerryeveretts Dog health 19 December 26th 06 08:17 PM