Dog with congestive heart failure and collapsing trachea

Old January 10th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jean

Default Dog with congestive heart failure and collapsing trachea

Dear all,
I'm looking for folks to share any experience they've had with both
these diseases. My 12 year old Schipperke/PomX is in slow heart failure
but now has the added burden of a severly collapsed trachea. It's a sad
race to see which gets him first. If you've had any experience with
either, can you share?

Spud has always been very active (bounces for food, loves wrestling
with the "Killer Hand", etc.). I'm finding it hard to keep him calm and
as inactive as possible. First thing I do at night when coming home
from work is pick him up, to stop him bouncing. I find that if I really
watch him, I can keep his choking cough down. However, at about 2am
each morning, he has a coughing fit that wakes me up...I call him from
under the bed (his quiet spot where he's slept for years) and put him
up with me and the other dogs and he calms down and falls asleep again.

Right now Spud is taking Lasix and another drug for his heart, and some
cough suppressants that aren't doing much for the trachea. Should he be
on something else, in your experience? My vet is wonderful but I want
as much information as I can find.

Anyone who can share any ideas, experiences, or advice with me would be
greatly appreciated. I'm a realist and I know this is going to have a
sad ending, and I've had four dogs put to sleep in the past 30 years,
but this is the first time I've had a dog with a lingering, slow
disease and it's tough to watch and guage when the "right time" for the
final vet visit is.

Thanks in advance,
Jean in Berkeley, CA

Old January 10th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Wed, 10 Jan 2007 00:05:56 GMT, "Jean" wrote:

Anyone who can share any ideas, experiences, or advice with me would be
greatly appreciated

What is the cause of your dog's CHF?

--
Lynne
Old January 10th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jean

Left ventricular enlargement, if I'm getting that right. He's had a
heart murmer since he was 5 years old, but in the past few months he
has been diagnosed with CHF...heart x-rays showed enlargement (and
collapsing trachea). Probably hereditary but I don't know as he was
adopted from a shelter.

Old January 10th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:34:31 GMT, "Jean" wrote:

Left ventricular enlargement, if I'm getting that right. He's had a
heart murmer since he was 5 years old, but in the past few months he
has been diagnosed with CHF...heart x-rays showed enlargement (and
collapsing trachea). Probably hereditary but I don't know as he was
adopted from a shelter.

Poor little guy. What is the other medication he is on for his heart,
besides Lasix?

--
Lynne
Old January 10th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jean

Poor little guy indeed! I'm desperately trying to remember his other
med...it's at home and I'm at work...it's a diuretic, I think. Truth be
told, right now his collapsing trachea is winning the race for
seriousness. I'm just pondering when it will be right to ease his
discomfort. Right now, he's still plucky, feisty, and interested in the
other dogs and life in general. He just has this racking cough and if I
don't take care to interrupt whatever he's doing, he will actually pass
out for 2 or 3 seconds and then come to...very disturbing to watch as
he urinates on himself. Thankfully, since I've really restricted his
activity, we have not had a repeat of the two fainting spells he had
around Christmas time. *sigh*...of course this would be the finest
little dog I've ever had the priviledge of knowing...he's so special.

Old January 10th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:58:35 GMT, "Jean" wrote:

Poor little guy indeed! I'm desperately trying to remember his other
med...it's at home and I'm at work...it's a diuretic, I think. Truth be
told, right now his collapsing trachea is winning the race for
seriousness. I'm just pondering when it will be right to ease his
discomfort. Right now, he's still plucky, feisty, and interested in the
other dogs and life in general. He just has this racking cough and if I
don't take care to interrupt whatever he's doing, he will actually pass
out for 2 or 3 seconds and then come to...very disturbing to watch as
he urinates on himself. Thankfully, since I've really restricted his
activity, we have not had a repeat of the two fainting spells he had
around Christmas time. *sigh*...of course this would be the finest
little dog I've ever had the priviledge of knowing...he's so special.

I'm so sorry you and your dog are going through this.

Lasix is the diuretic, BTW. Is the other med Digoxin (Lanoxin)?

I don't know anything about collapsed trachea, but it all sounds just
awful for him. If your vet says he is only going to get worse and not
better, then only you can make the decision of when it will be best to
let him go. Do it when the time is right for him, because the time will
never be right for you... My thoughts go out to you both.

--
Lynne
Old January 11th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jean

The other drug is Enalapril (sp?), an ACE inhibitor.

Thanks for your thoughts and kind words...yes, we'll carry on until he
lets me know that life is no longer good. Last night I had a devil of a
time getting him to stop bouncing for treats and chase the big dogs.
He's still a feisty tot.

Old January 12th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:27:56 GMT, "Jean" wrote:

The other drug is Enalapril (sp?), an ACE inhibitor.

It sounds like he's on the right drugs, but I am not a vet or a
cardiologist, so if you are concerned, you should get a second opinion.

Thanks for your thoughts and kind words...yes, we'll carry on until he
lets me know that life is no longer good. Last night I had a devil of a
time getting him to stop bouncing for treats and chase the big dogs.
He's still a feisty tot.

Enjoy every moment you have left with him. I hope he has some respite from
his discomfort.

--
Lynne