Cooking or alternative food for dogs

Old September 20th 03, 08:59 AM

Default Cooking or alternative food for dogs

I noticed quite a few of you seem to have special diets for your dogs.
I was wondering if anyone cooks for your dog(s) and is there any way
to actually save more by using natural ingredients rather than buying
bags of dog food. It seems healthier to create a balanced diet for
your dog rather than buy processed food. My dog is well established as
a finicky eater so I thought this would be a better alternative. She's
also small (15 lbs) and doesn't eat that much each day. I usually give
her a morning and afternoon meal which works out thus far.

If you have any ideas or recipes please post

Old September 24th 03, 10:26 PM
Cymbaline

"Child" wrote in message ...
"Cymbaline" wrote in message

Hi Monkeyman,

As for actually "cooking" any meals for dogs, I would be careful about
doing this because the process of "cooking" the food can cook out a
lot of the nutrients out of foods. If you look at any processed dog
foods, there are always added vitamins and minerals to the food to
make up for what is cooked out during the process of making the food.

Monkeyman,

I eat cooked foods and my doctor assures me that it still has vitamins and
nutrients. I am certain that dog food is not any different.

True I guess that's why they add all those wonderful extras to it as well!

Cymbaline
Old September 26th 03, 05:53 AM
Child

"Cymbaline" wrote in message
m...
"Child" wrote in message

"Cymbaline" wrote in message

Hi Monkeyman,

As for actually "cooking" any meals for dogs, I would be careful about
doing this because the process of "cooking" the food can cook out a
lot of the nutrients out of foods. If you look at any processed dog
foods, there are always added vitamins and minerals to the food to
make up for what is cooked out during the process of making the food.

Monkeyman,

I eat cooked foods and my doctor assures me that it still has vitamins

and
nutrients. I am certain that dog food is not any different.

True I guess that's why they add all those wonderful extras to it as well!

Cymbaline

Supposedly, we americans, with our vitamin supplements have the most
expensive **** in america. I think that dog food companies add vitamins
because it sells.

Old September 30th 03, 03:41 PM
Cymbaline

Hi Monkeyman,

As for actually "cooking" any meals for dogs, I would be careful about
doing this because the process of "cooking" the food can cook out a
lot of the nutrients out of foods. If you look at any processed dog
foods, there are always added vitamins and minerals to the food to
make up for what is cooked out during the process of making the food.

Monkeyman,

I eat cooked foods and my doctor assures me that it still has vitamins

and
nutrients. I am certain that dog food is not any different.

True I guess that's why they add all those wonderful extras to it as well!

Cymbaline

Supposedly, we americans, with our vitamin supplements have the most
expensive **** in america. I think that dog food companies add vitamins
because it sells.

That's an interesting way of thinking. So what you are basically
saying is that non of the added vitamins and minerals in pet food is
actually beneficial?
Old October 2nd 03, 09:25 PM

Child wrote:
I wouldnt' say "none". I would say most of them probably aren't needed.

Duncan's been a bit gimpy recently and the vet said to put
him on glucosamine. She said that what's included in dog
food isn't nearly enough to be useful.

Librarians are more interested in pushing pornography on kids
than fighting terrorism -- Ed Meese
Old October 2nd 03, 09:32 PM

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Melinda Shore wrote:

Duncan's been a bit gimpy recently and the vet said to put
him on glucosamine. She said that what's included in dog
food isn't nearly enough to be useful.

my understanding--which could be wrong!--is that if dog foods
had an effective level of glucosamine in them, they would have
to be treated as supplements (in terms of labelling and
testing). they would also cost a great deal more as
glucosamine isn't cheap. ain't marketing grand?

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette