OT - a little football fever

Old January 11th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

Default OT - a little football fever

Peyton Manning, after living a full life, died.
When he got to heaven, God was showing him around.

They came to a modest little house with a faded Colts flag in the
window.
"This house is yours for eternity, Peyton," said God.
"This is very special; not everyone gets a house up here."

Peyton felt special, indeed, and walked up to his house.

On his way up the porch, he noticed another house just around the
corner.
It was a 3-story mansion with a purple and black sidewalk, a 50 foot
tall flagpole with an enormous Ravens logo flag, and in every window,
a Baltimore Ravens towel.

Peyton looked at God and said "God, I'm not trying to be ungrateful,
but I have a question. I was an all-pro QB, I hold many NFL records,
and I even went to the Hall of Fame."

God said "So what's your point Peyton?"

"Well, why does Ray Lewis get a better house than me?"

God chuckled, and said....

"Peyton, that's not Ray's house...

It's mine."

Go ravens!!
--
Janet Boss
Old January 11th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet B wrote:
Go ravens!!

I helped out with recruiting new hires on campus to come
work for the behemoth. A bunch of different campuses were
targeted and so there were a lot of us who got involved, and
to get us up to speed on policy and rules and stuff, HR put
together a training broadcast. Unfortunately, the show used
a football metaphor. So there we were, a few dozen very
nerdly engineers, most of whom were not born in the US
anyway, wondering "What's a linebacker? Why are they
kicking?"

Old January 11th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Melinda Shore wrote:
Unfortunately, the show used a football metaphor.

They didn't think that one through very carefully, did they?

So there we were, a few dozen very
nerdly engineers, most of whom were not born in the US
anyway, wondering "What's a linebacker? Why are they
kicking?"

That's about how I feel about ball games. I just don't get it, and
I don't intend to try. And--thread merge!--the menfolk drinking
beer and gathering around the teevee to watch The Game is another
"holiday" tradition my family did not engage in.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old January 11th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Janet B" wrote in message:

Peyton Manning, after living a full life, died.

You just scared the crap out of me! I read that to be a breaking news
bulletin instead of part of the story.

"Peyton, that's not Ray's house...

It's mine."

And someone should tell Peyton that it is better to have the little house in
the ritzy neighborhood than the other way around.

Go ravens!!

Since that's as close as I'm gonna get to a contender for a while (Joe Gibbs
is NOT God!), I'm with you right there. Although, I'll admit to having a
soft spot for New England.

Suja

Old January 11th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 14:11:00 -0500, "Suja" ,
clicked their heels and said:

Since that's as close as I'm gonna get to a contender for a while (Joe Gibbs
is NOT God!), I'm with you right there. Although, I'll admit to having a
soft spot for New England.

I think for many, this is not just "go Ravens", but the same "anyone
but" as baseball season. "Anyone but the Yankees" for summer, "Anyone
but the Colts" for fall/winter. I know the dogs will be mighty
perplexed on Saturday, when there will be a lot of yelling at the TV.
I freely admit that I just don't understand all of the football rules!

--
Janet Boss
Old January 11th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message

So there we were, a few dozen very
nerdly engineers, most of whom were not born in the US
anyway, wondering "What's a linebacker? Why are they
kicking?"

You didn't get the all-important 'If it's called football, why don't they
use their feet?'

I used to play touch* football with my brother and his goon friends. It is
laughable, considering I'm 5'1" and weighed a hundred pounds, and for the
most part, couldn't see past my line to see my receivers. What I did have
in my favor was that I turned out to be ambidextrous with the ball, and was
actually better with my left than my right, although I am a righty with just
about everything else.

Suja

*Their idea of touch football somewhat closely resembles Khan's idea of
wrestling.

Old January 11th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 14:58:53 -0500, "Suja" ,
clicked their heels and said:

That's just wrong-headed. The Colts of Peyton Manning haven't won anything.

Except Colts history. I think it really sucks to steal that from a
city.

Over the weekend, I did a home visit. Pulled in, to the following sign

RED SOX FANS
PARK HERE

----------------

Yankee Fans
Go Home

I told him how close he came to not getting a dog :-)

I get students who name their dogs horrible things like "Jeter". I
tell them they start with demerits right off the bat. And that we
have a dress code. None of those nasty spots on hats in the shape of
an "NY". It's all in good fun of course, although there are some real
freaks out there who take that stuff very seriously, to the point of
injury. Whackos.

I am sure there will be extra security at M&T stadium on Saturday,
just as there is at Camden Yards during Yankee games. I've survived
some scary crowds in years past, but mostly people seem saner now (or
ticket prices keep the real loons away. That and beer cutoff in the
7th).

--
Janet Boss
Old January 11th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

"Suja" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Although, I'll admit to having a
soft spot for New England.

Nah, Philly all the way. I don't follow the NFL, but because
Garcia started his professional football career with the Calgary
Stampeders, I gotta pull for the Eagles.

Old January 11th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Janet B" wrote in message:

I think for many, this is not just "go Ravens", but the same "anyone
but" as baseball season. "Anyone but the Yankees" for summer, "Anyone
but the Colts" for fall/winter.

That's just wrong-headed. The Colts of Peyton Manning haven't won anything.
In fact, they haven't even reached the superbowl. The Yankees OTOH, there
is a genuine reason to envy... I mean, dislike (beyond Steinbrenner).