I need an alternative breed to my Yorshire Terrier.

Old January 13th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Bryan

Default I need an alternative breed to my Yorshire Terrier.

I love my Yorkshire Terrier! I love everything about "him" except for one
thing.

True to the breed description he is difficult to housebreak. For some
reason if we leave him in the house without direct supervision, eventually
he'll poop or pee somewhere. This is why he is an outdoor dog. Not a bad
thing. He lives on a redwood deck under a sheltered area with a view of the
family room. He hangs out with our black lab (and, yes, the Yorkie is in
charge). He has a yard to play in and a couple of dogs next door to say
hello to as he pleases.

I would love it if I could replace my Yorkie with one that didn't use my
home for a bathroom (not something I will tolerate). So my question is,
what's the next best breed to a Yorkie that isn't difficult to housebreak?

He's getting on in years and the dog breed quiz just got me to thinking
along these lines.

Old January 13th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
diddy

in thread . net: "Bryan"
whittled the following words:

[...]

What about your Lab? I wouldn't have a dog if it didn't live with "ME". If
it's outside, it's just a yard decoration.
Old January 13th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Margaret

"Bryan" wrote in message
. net...
I love my Yorkshire Terrier! I love everything about "him" except for one
thing.

True to the breed description he is difficult to housebreak. For some
reason if we leave him in the house without direct supervision, eventually
he'll poop or pee somewhere. This is why he is an outdoor dog.

I have never heard of a Yorkie being an outdoor dog. Does he get to spend
any time in the house with you? What about the Lab? Why do you have dogs
if they are not your house companions?

Old January 14th 07, 10:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Bryan

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread . net: "Bryan"
whittled the following words:

I love my Yorkshire Terrier! I love everything about "him" except for
one thing.

True to the breed description he is difficult to housebreak.

What about your Lab? I wouldn't have a dog if it didn't live with "ME".
If
it's outside, it's just a yard decoration.

I respectfully disagree. My dogs do live with me. They just live outside.
In my opinion, dogs belong outside. If I were a dog I would love a yard to
play in. Birds to watch and chase. Cats to keep an eye on. Noises to bark
at when challenging my territory. Smells to float past my nose. Sounds to
listen to and investigate. A bathroom that doesn't require me getting my
person's attention to access.

Old January 14th 07, 10:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Bryan

"Margaret" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
. net...
I love my Yorkshire Terrier! I love everything about "him" except for one
thing.

True to the breed description he is difficult to housebreak. For some
reason if we leave him in the house without direct supervision,
eventually he'll poop or pee somewhere. This is why he is an outdoor
dog.

I have never heard of a Yorkie being an outdoor dog. Does he get to spend
any time in the house with you? What about the Lab? Why do you have dogs
if they are not your house companions?

You silly pet people with your rigid pet rules. They are mine and each
others companions. They are part of my home and part of my life. Their
part of the house is the outdoor part and mine is the indoor part. They
come in whenever they show an interest and I'm able to keep an eye on them
(I really only have to watch the lab).

I have very happy friendly healthy dogs.

Old January 14th 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article ,
Bryan wrote:
I respectfully disagree. My dogs do live with me. They just live outside.
In my opinion, dogs belong outside. If I were a dog I would love a yard to
play in. Birds to watch and chase. Cats to keep an eye on. Noises to bark
at when challenging my territory. Smells to float past my nose. Sounds to
listen to and investigate. A bathroom that doesn't require me getting my
person's attention to access.

Sure - they all do. And then they like to come inside, be
with their people/pack, and get their social *needs* met.

BTW - you're not a dog, so it's probably not going to be
base decisions about your dog's well-being on whatever it is
you think you'd like.

Yard ornament? Definitely. But hey, at least it doesn't
take much effort on your part.

Old January 14th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Shelly

"Bryan" wrote in
. net:

I respectfully disagree. My dogs do live with me. They just
live outside. In my opinion, dogs belong outside. If I were a
dog I would love a yard to play in.

You might, or you might find it to be a pretty grim existence,
being isolated from your pack. I can guarantee you that my own dog
is not suited, either physically or mentally, to living outdoors.
But, then, I got a dog because I wanted a *companion* animal, and I
chose a breed of dog that was created specifically for that job.

Birds to watch and chase. Cats to keep an eye on.

They don't need to *live* outdoors to do those things.

Noises to bark at when challenging my territory.

I appreciate my neighbors' rights to peace and quiet more than
that. If my dog were barky (she's not), I would not allow her to
remain outdoors. The last thing I'd want is a neighbor to get
irritated with my obnoxiously loud and to take matters into his own
hands. Dogs are often killed or disappeared when they are allowed
to become such a nuisance.

A bathroom that doesn't require me getting my person's attention
to access.

If you think taking your dog outside is an undue burden, you could
install a dog door. Personally, I like to keep tabs on my dog's
health, which involves paying attention to her potty habits and
output.

--
Shelly

All things move toward their end, all things move toward their end
On that you can be sure
-- Nick Cave
Old January 14th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Mary H Healey

"Bryan" wrote:
I respectfully disagree. My dogs do live with me. They just live
outside.

So, they also live with your neighbors,passersby, and tradesman. Big whup.

In my opinion, dogs belong outside. If I were a dog I would
love a yard to play in. Birds to watch and chase.

Neighbors to harass.

Cats to keep an eye on.

Cats to lose an eye to.

Old January 14th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lynne

on Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:58:59 GMT, "Bryan"
wrote:

You silly pet people with your rigid pet rules. They are mine and
each others companions. They are part of my home and part of my life.
Their part of the house is the outdoor part and mine is the indoor
part. They come in whenever they show an interest and I'm able to
keep an eye on them (I really only have to watch the lab).

I have very happy friendly healthy dogs.

Why do you even have dogs?

--
Lynne