When my dog licks me what does it mean?

Old January 14th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default When my dog licks me what does it mean?

I understand fully that when I am eating and Holly licks my hands she
wants food.
Other times like when I watch TV and not eating she licks my hands and
face.
Once she took at least 3 minutes going from one side of my face to the
other including trying to lick up my nostrils - which I did jerk back.

Does licking mean anything? Is it affection, cleaning (I am clean) or
one person I know theorizes she is staking her claim over me to other
animals.

Any theories?

Old January 14th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

Any theories?

In my experience, my "licking dog", licks me for a variety of reasons.
These are what they seem to me. He licks me when he is happy/excited to see
me (like when I come home from work), "sucking up" (when I have something he
wants), nervous/in trouble (after I correct him with my firmer voice),
jealous/wants attention (when I am giving the attention to my other dog), to
tell me something (like first thing in the morning when he is saying
"hello!" or "I need to go outside!). He also runs over and licks me if I
say "ouch" or if I start to cry and when I have a cut/sore. There are also
times when he licks me just because he can and of course when I give him the
"lick" or "kiss" command.