Housebreaking an older dog

Old January 14th 07, 09:05 PM
Mickee Mickee is offline
Member

Location: Texas
Send a message via MSN to Mickee Send a message via Yahoo to Mickee
Default Housebreaking an older dog

I am probably setting myself up for criticism, but I need advice. As you know I have posted here before about my mini-doxie Wilbur. Well He is perfectly crate trained and I have no issue there at all. He loves his crate and I do too. But I worked with him almost 3 years to housebreak him and finally gave up. He became an ouside dog as I could not get him to cooperate on housebreaking. Well, as you know he is now HW positive and is undergoing the slow treatment and is doing absolutely fantastic, and is improving almost daily, but now he is back in the house of course, and still not housebroken. So what do I do now?

I cannot and do not want to keep him crated 18 hours a day and cannot have him going over the house doing his business either. So how do I get this almost 7 year old dog housebroken? I have thought of tethering him to me, but he will think he is constantly going on a walk, which he loves better than life itself. Plus he loves to chase and bark at the cats which drive me bonkers. I sit and type all day as a Medical Transcriptionist and the pull on the tether would be unbearable I would think.

No, getting rid of him is not an option. He has had 4 homes before we received him and I will not do that to him again, but would like him to be a good house dog if at all possible.

Any suggestions???

Mickee
Old January 15th 07, 11:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Housebreaking an older dog [jerry]

wrote:
HOWEDY mickee,

Mickee wrote:
I am probably setting myself up for criticism,

You've been readin The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin Insanely
Simply Amazing Grand Puppy, Child, Pussy, Birdy And Horsey
Wizard's 100% CONSISTENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog, Child, Kat And Horse Training Method Manual
Forums And Human And Animal Behavior Forensic Sciences Research
Laboratory for more than WON month NHOWE, so you KNOW that ONLY
kindly, gentle, understanding fellow dog lovers post here {); ~ )

but I need advice.

You're askin HOWE to HURT and INTIMIDATE your dog
to make IT do as you PREFER, mickee. By NHOWE you
know that ONLY LIARS DOG ABUSERS COWARDS and
ACTIVE ACUTE CHRONIC LIFE LONG INCURABLE MENTAL
CASES post "ADVICE" here abHOWETS, don't you.

Wait a minute! YOU just said "so you KNOW that ONLY kindly, gentle,
understanding fellow dog lovers post here."

Which is it, Asshowe liar?!? You are LYING again with that
contradiction, AssHowe.

And WHERE did the poster ask about how to HURT and INTIMIDATE his dog?
I didn't see any question that asked "How can I hurt my dog?" or "How
can I intimidate my dog?"

Did you see that, or are you making this crap up again, AssHowe?

Will you EVER stop lying, child abuser?!?

Old January 15th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:05:10 +0000, Mickee
, clicked their heels and said:

I have thought of
tethering him to me, but he will think he is constantly going on a
walk, which he loves better than life itself. Plus he loves to chase
and bark at the cats which drive me bonkers. I sit and type all day as
a Medical Transcriptionist and the pull on the tether would be
unbearable I would think.

He will quickly learn that he is not going for a walk. Cat chasing
needs to be corrected for, not allowed. He will not pull on the
tether all day if you teach him not to. He WILL give up on his own,
but it may be a matter of how soon.

An alternative is an exercise pen. Much larger than a crate, more
open, and can be right next to you. As he respects that area, he can
graduate to the room (gate or door closed). There's no particular
reason he needs to be in another room from you, so expanding beyond
that would be while he's with you, and eventually, even when you are
not home.

No, getting rid of him is not an option. He has had 4 homes before we
received him and I will not do that to him again, but would like him to
be a good house dog if at all possible.

Good to hear. Leashes, gates and pens can transition him from a
crate.

--
Janet Boss
Old January 15th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Drachen

The tethering to the ankle seems like a good idea... it may be slightly
dissapointing at first for him, but then you can see when hes going to do
his business, and take him out.... also being that you are at home, make
frequent trips outside with the leash on him to go do his business...
perhaps you can get him trained to go at certain times... dogs can easily
become creatures of habit!! He may also love the extra attention of being
near you all the time... and always remember to give him a treat when he
goes outside!

sounds like hes lucky to have a good home!!

perhaps by having him with you tethered, you'll start to notice when he does
have to go more often and then train him to ring a bell... regardless if
he's still going inside or not, you'll know when he is going if you wanted
to start the step of weaning him from being tethered...

He might also like going for a 'walk' in the backyard...

He's not too old to teach new things to... So he doesn't go inside his crate
at all?... thats always a good thing...

perhaps you can use that to your advantage... perhaps an enclosed area
around his crate? extending the area that he thinks is home? I'm sure
someone else on this board may have more experience with this aspect...

I remember we had a dog when I was little who would go inside the house when
someone was there that she didn't like... *which was a lot of people*, so we
had to confine her to the linoleum part of the house which was the kitchen
and porch... not allowed on the rugs, so that worked for her... she was
mainly outside most of the days anyway... the porch was her doghouse
underneath... and we were always outside back in the day playing with her as
there were no such things as videogames, and no chance of having more than
two channels of t.v. in our house at all... yes I'm a child from the 70's...
how can you tell... *G*

Good luck and hope to hear how the training goes!

Old January 15th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Drachen wrote:
The tethering to the ankle seems like a good idea...

*Ankle*???!?? Does somebody actually tether to the ankle?
I'll bet negotiating stairs is a hoot. Not to mention those
of us with larger dogs ending up on our ass when the dog
decides to head in a different direction.

I've always tethered to my waist.

Old January 15th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Drachen

I tethered to the ankle...

with a lab as well...

the lab also knew I had food in my pocket and she was mainly lying down
watching me... and walking up the stairs is really a non issue for me as my
son can't negotiate stairs properly all the time, I also live in a one floor
bungalow... she was my shadow for a few months during all of her training...
very dominant dog... took a while if she felt like being stubborn, but its a
trait thats worked wonderfully as a working dog... I trained the dog
otherwise for walking up the stairs right beside taking steps as you take
steps... for that I'd have just reached down , grabbed the leash and held it
so the dog coudln't get ahead of me... she learned quickly...

it works alright... and would work for smaller dogs just as well...

I also found it was a good workout for my legs as well if the dog wanted to
go one way and I another. doesn't take long for that arguement to end...
*G*

I still do the ankle thing when Im out in public and want my hands free for
something... she's tried to run after things but its easier than stepping on
the leash which I find more hazardous... I suppose its just more comfortable
for me as I have decent counter balance... she rarely chases though unless
shes encouraged by the dogs whos owners don't leash at all.. *those people
annoy me...*... there are laws... didn't you see the sign when you came into
the park??? ***** grrrrr...*** I digress...

Old January 15th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Drachen wrote:
I tethered to the ankle...
with a lab as well...

That's not the unsafest thing I've ever heard of but it's
pretty freakin' unsafe. Aside from questions of control and
balance around the house, if you do it when you're out in
public you make the outcome of someone becoming between you
and the dog a lot more questionable.

Old January 15th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Drachen

I would be more concerned about doing the splits than falling on the dog...
*G*...

it just worked really well for me... for inside the house training mainly...
the odd rare occassion outside if I need both hands, I have yet to be pulled
hard enough to actually fall though... so perhaps when it happens I'll post
the embarrassing incident here... and everyone can say I told you so and
I'll accept it with an embarrased grin... *G*

I've also got the strength to use my legs more than my waist... I also don't
have belt loops on a lot of my stuff... and I'm sure it would just rip
off... dogs also have a hard time getting grip on linoleum... *G*...

On 2007-01-15 09:25:47 -0500, "Drachen" said:

The tethering to the ankle

I tether dogs to a belt loop on my pants. Tethering a dog to my ankle
would mean that I would probably fall on the dog. For my personal
safety and that of the dog and any home furnishings, I would not tether
to my ankle!
--
http://4dsgn.com

Old January 15th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Drachen

sigh... do I have to reexplain everything when I post something that
actually WORKED for me as well as others????

I'm not talking out of my ass here but it WORKED FOR ME...

now, if you want to try it, try it... if you don't , then don't... but it
worked for me.... my waist also included back issues and some weight issues
which would have been more dangerous for me than using my ankle... its not a
big deal...

and I had complete control... and I also used a 6 foot soft leash as a
tether... my house isn't that large to accomidate much else... same with in
public...

if that helps at all to your understanding of the situation...

Old January 15th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Drachen wrote:
I'm not talking out of my ass here but it WORKED FOR ME...

You can't guarantee outcomes but in an awful lot of
circumstances you can definitely jigger the odds in your
favor or against you. Tethering to your ankle is a lot
riskier than tethering to your waist (seriously - you went
up and down stairs like that?) and there's no compelling
reason to choose to do it despite its lack of safety.
Increasing the risk without increasing the payoff or even
potential payoff is lousy decision-making.