Itchy 9 yr old yellow lab

Old January 16th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
swolfe

Default Itchy 9 yr old yellow lab

Our 9 yr old yellow lab has developed itchy, scabby sores on his back,
sides, and belly. We have had him in Science Diet Light dog food for
about a year. When we took him to the vet, he didn't think it was
ringworm, gave him a shot of something and antifungal shampoo. The dog
is a large lab, weighs 125 lbs so isn't too easy to get him in the tub
and keep the shampoo on him for 15 minutes. Have given him two
treatments of the shampoo but the sores are still there. I'm beginning
to wonder if maybe he is lacking something in his food. Has anyone
else had a problem like this, or any suggestions? Thank you!

Old January 16th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Our 9 yr old yellow lab has developed itchy, scabby sores on his back,
sides, and belly. We have had him in Science Diet Light dog food for
about a year. When we took him to the vet, he didn't think it was
ringworm, gave him a shot of something and antifungal shampoo. The dog
is a large lab, weighs 125 lbs so isn't too easy to get him in the tub
and keep the shampoo on him for 15 minutes. Have given him two
treatments of the shampoo but the sores are still there. I'm beginning
to wonder if maybe he is lacking something in his food. Has anyone
else had a problem like this, or any suggestions? Thank you!

Did he do a skin scraping? Rule out mange? Definitely not flea allergy? And
he prescribed antifungal treatment yet he ruled out ringworm. What other
kind of fungus is he thinking of? Time to call back and ask for a follow-up
appointment. Sometimes it's a process of elimination to get to the
diagnosis.