Ping Melinda - sledding program?

Old January 16th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

Default Ping Melinda - sledding program?

My morning paper says that Pam Flowers will be doing a program/presentation
at the Waverly Library on February 15th.

Is this something that I'd want to take an evening to go to? (Because, boy,
could I use the diversion!)

It appears that she has a third book coming out - which is likely the reason
behind the tour. Is the book something I'd want?

Judy

Old January 16th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
Is this something that I'd want to take an evening to go to? (Because, boy,
could I use the diversion!)

Honestly, I have no idea. The only book of hers I've read
was the one about her trip across (and I mean *across*) the
Canadian arctic coast, retracing Rasmussen's route, and I
love it. Her stuff tends to be oriented towards kids but
you've just gotta admire someone that brave/adventurous.

I've added it to my calendar.

Old January 16th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Judy wrote:
Is this something that I'd want to take an evening to go to? (Because,
boy,
could I use the diversion!)

Honestly, I have no idea. The only book of hers I've read
was the one about her trip across (and I mean *across*) the
Canadian arctic coast, retracing Rasmussen's route, and I
love it. Her stuff tends to be oriented towards kids but
you've just gotta admire someone that brave/adventurous.

I've added it to my calendar.

Looks like this is a book tour for her third book. She's doing a school
presentation earlier in the day. I'm going to try to fit it into my
schedule.

Wonder if Chris is checking in here - might be something that Soren would
enjoy. I'll make a note to send her a private email..

We keep adding one crisis after another here. This Sunday my younger
brother (but one who is over 50) decided that his roof didn't look icy and
since the handyman hadn't showed up quickly enough to fit the problem with
his vents on the roof that he could certainly take care of. Two story
house.

He's in Albany Medical - in better shape than he deserves. Going to take a
couple-three surgeries to put him back together (and he's self-employed) but
it appears the damage is all repairable.

I really thought he was smarter than that.

We've decided that from now on when one family member calls another rather
than say "hello" the first words should be "I'm okay".

Judy

Old January 16th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
Looks like this is a book tour for her third book. She's doing a school
presentation earlier in the day. I'm going to try to fit it into my
schedule.

I checked the web and I couldn't find details - is there
something posted somewhere?

After the unbelievable year (he fell off the *roof?*) you've
had, even though I know you don't care for cold weather and
would guess that you don't care for isolation, I have to
suspect you might find Flowers' treks an appealing escapist
fantasy.

Old January 16th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:31:15 -0500, "Suja" ,
clicked their heels and said:

I swear there is something in that Y chromosome. Rajesh has hinted (a time
or three) that he is perfectly capable of doing the gutters on our two story
house. I Don't Think So.

So sending DH up on the second story roof to hang Christmas lights,
isn't a good idea? He also installed all new gutter covers. We do
wait for dry weather though.

--
Janet Boss
Old January 16th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Judy" wrote in message:

We keep adding one crisis after another here. This Sunday my younger
brother (but one who is over 50) decided that his roof didn't look icy and
since the handyman hadn't showed up quickly enough to fit the problem with
his vents on the roof that he could certainly take care of. Two story
house.

Oh jeez. You'd think that he would've received all his brain installments
by now.

He's in Albany Medical - in better shape than he deserves. Going to take

couple-three surgeries to put him back together (and he's self-employed)

but
it appears the damage is all repairable.

Glad to know that he is going to be okay. What a mess, though.

Old January 16th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:13:24 -0500, "Suja" ,
clicked their heels and said:

Depends. On the DH,

50 yo

the house,

2 story - split foyer all above grade

the terrain,

we have a 2nd story deck which makes this a lot more reasonable to
attempt!

the weather,

dry as a bone only!

if he has any
helpers, etc.

me! I hold the ladder and watch the entire time.

Our roof is tall ( 25 - 30' off the ground),

Hmmm - I guess ours is about 25' or so, higher in some spots.

I would not be comfortable having him go up to put up stuff
along the roofline, and would definitely not have him up on top of the roof.

DH gets up there via ladder off the back deck. He then climbs over
the peak and down to the front gutters. No way would *I* attempt such
a thing!

Besides, he'd need a special ladder to get up there, and we are not getting
any more ladders.

We have the gigundo ladder that is used as little as possible. The
normal ladder is sufficient for deck to roof access.

--
Janet Boss
Old January 16th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Janet B" wrote in message:

So sending DH up on the second story roof to hang Christmas lights,
isn't a good idea?

Depends. On the DH, the house, the terrain, the weather, if he has any
helpers, etc. Our roof is tall ( 25 - 30' off the ground), and the pitch is
fairly steep. I would not be comfortable having him go up to put up stuff

Old January 16th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey

Janet B wrote in
:

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:31:15 -0500, "Suja" ,
clicked their heels and said:
I swear there is something in that Y chromosome. Rajesh has hinted (a
time or three) that he is perfectly capable of doing the gutters on
our two story house. I Don't Think So.

So sending DH up on the second story roof to hang Christmas lights,
isn't a good idea? He also installed all new gutter covers. We do
wait for dry weather though.

Not a Y-chromosome thing. Not in my family, at least. (What do you mean
"doing" the gutters? Clearing 'em out? A sufficiently tall ladder,
well-placed, and a spotter with a cell phone who doesn't mind getting
partially-composted detritis down their shirt are all that job requires.
I forego the spotter, but I've only got a ranch house to deal with.)

My mother would wait until she was home alone to go and put up the
Christmas lights (2nd story) ... because she didn't want to worry my
Dad. Giving ME heart failure, long-distance, doesn't seem to bother her
in the least.

I'm SOOOOOOOOO glad they're in a condo now.

The handy-gene seems to run in the female line in my family. The guys
are all about "call the fixit fella", the gals are all "this doesn't
look so hard", so I suppose it's no big surprise that the risk-takers in
home-repair tend toward the double-X chromosome carriers around here.

My house is old enough that its "updated" wiring still includes a fuse
box instead of breakers. One of the big, expensive, hard-to-find
cylinder fuses died last night. If I'd had a replacement fuse, it's a
one-minute fix (as long as you're not excessively wimpy about yanking
stuff out of the main electrical box). But, of course, I didn't have a
replacement fuse. Figured we'd wait until morning to get a fuse, then
realized that we hadn't heard the furnace kick on in aver 30 minutes.
Not Good.

Anyway, switched out the bad fuse with its mate and slept with one eye
open. Completed the one-minute repair this morning, and, yes, I did get
a few spares. I hate going into the box to fix stuff -- electricity
scares me -- but not enough to call an electrician at 10 pm.
Old January 16th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

Judy wrote:
Looks like this is a book tour for her third book. She's doing a school
presentation earlier in the day. I'm going to try to fit it into my
schedule.

I checked the web and I couldn't find details - is there
something posted somewhere?

My paper's article says February 15 at 7PM at the Waverly Free Llibrary.
607-565-9341. 18 Elizabeth Street Waverly NY It says "young and old alike"

It also says you can get more information at www.pamflowers.com

After the unbelievable year (he fell off the *roof?*) you've
had,

Uh-huh. Two stories. And his wife was standing by the window to watch him
fly by. And he still remembers every second of the fall.

And then today my MIL is showing signs of body and mind shutting down. It
would be a blessing if it happens as I type this.

So, yeah. I'm all for diversions.

Judy