WARNING! Please, don't watch the next espisode of "The Dog Whisperer"!

Old January 16th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

Default WARNING! Please, don't watch the next espisode of "The Dog Whisperer"!

1. A few of you recently got your backs in a hump because I recommended
using a fly swatter, or even a cotton ball, to impose on a rowdy dog.
Knowing how you feel about this issue, and how you are prone to
distorting reality, I offer the following warning.

WARNING! Please, don't watch the next episode of "The Dog Whisperer"! He
is going to use a tennis racket to impose on a rowdy dog. Yes, I know
that is difficult to imagine, but it is true! I've seen the preview!

If you must watch the program, please, have 911 on your speed dial!
Alert your families that you might go into cardiac arrest, at the sight
of this unforgivable horror! Practicing Catholics might want to have
your priest present, for last rites.

2. For those few who recently got their noses out of joint because I
convert dogs and puppies into trusting, and trustworthy, friends, I
thought of you yesterday. I shook my head and snickered as I delivered
three of those "time bombs", as someone labeled them, to the public
viewing area. They went from being terrified fear biters, to being
playful tail waggers--just like real puppies! :-)

________________________
Cigarettes: killers that travel in packs.
Old January 16th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Michael A. Ball wrote:
1. A few of you recently got your backs in a hump

Wow. I mean seriously, wow. You are such a *special* guy!
Really, really special. It's just so wonderful that all
these dogs have made themselves available to you to help you
promote your specialness. Thank you for announcing your
specialness! Otherwise, I would not have known.

I wish my dogs would promote my big, blonde Valkyrieness.

Old January 16th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

Michael A. Ball wrote in
:

2. For those few who recently got their noses out of joint because I
convert dogs and puppies into trusting, and trustworthy, friends, I
thought of you yesterday. I shook my head and snickered as I delivered
three of those "time bombs", as someone labeled them, to the public
viewing area. They went from being terrified fear biters, to being
playful tail waggers--just like real puppies! :-)

You know what Michael? Plenty of us here turn dogs around every day.

And the real truth is that on at least 50% of all dogs, just about ANY
method (even abuse) will work to train a dog, as long as the expectations
make sense and the techniques are consistantly applied. Sorry to break it
to you, but that's just the deal.

Much like people who tether to their ankles, just because something hasn't
backfired directly in your face (though I seriously doubt that some of
those dogs didn't display some side effects that the owners got to deal
with later), doesn't mean that its suddewnly the best- or safest- way to go
about something.

But keep on presenting strawman arguments in order to make yourself a
better handler. Everybody's got to have something, I guess.

Tara
Old January 17th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Default WARNING! Please, don't watch the next espisode of "The DogWhis...

Michael
You made reference to the Dog Whisperer using a Tennis racket while
working with a dog. IMO the Dog Whisperer gets a bum rap sometimes.
Sooooo, for those of you who don't watch the show I want to say he did
not strike the dog with the racket. He held it in front of the dog as a
buffer between him and the dog. BTW the dog attacked strangers which
included the Dog Whisperer.
I commend you for your accomplishments and from what you have posted I
see you as a gentle man. I do not see you using a method that would
harm a dog.
I have had some success with dogs in my life and I am sure some of my
methods are unconventional, some are painfully plain..Whatever works?
Cotton ball? I am confused.

Be Free.....Judy

Old January 17th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
flick

"Michael A. Ball" wrote in message
1. A few of you recently got your backs in a hump because I recommended
using a fly swatter, or even a cotton ball, to impose on a rowdy dog.
Knowing how you feel about this issue, and how you are prone to
distorting reality, I offer the following warning.

WARNING! Please, don't watch the next episode of "The Dog Whisperer"! He
is going to use a tennis racket to impose on a rowdy dog. Yes, I know
that is difficult to imagine, but it is true! I've seen the preview!

If you must watch the program, please, have 911 on your speed dial!
Alert your families that you might go into cardiac arrest, at the sight
of this unforgivable horror! Practicing Catholics might want to have
your priest present, for last rites.

LOL!

2. For those few who recently got their noses out of joint because I
convert dogs and puppies into trusting, and trustworthy, friends, I
thought of you yesterday. I shook my head and snickered as I delivered
three of those "time bombs", as someone labeled them, to the public
viewing area. They went from being terrified fear biters, to being
playful tail waggers--just like real puppies! :-)

And LOL again. Good ones!

Don't pay any attention to the humourless biotches.

flick 100785

Old January 17th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael A. Ball

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:13:20 -0500, (Judith
Althouse) wrote:

Michael
You made reference to the Dog Whisperer using a Tennis racket while
working with a dog. IMO the Dog Whisperer gets a bum rap sometimes.
Sooooo, for those of you who don't watch the show I want to say he did
not strike the dog with the racket. He held it in front of the dog as a
buffer between him and the dog. BTW the dog attacked strangers which
included the Dog Whisperer.
I commend you for your accomplishments and from what you have posted I
see you as a gentle man. I do not see you using a method that would
harm a dog.
I have had some success with dogs in my life and I am sure some of my
methods are unconventional, some are painfully plain..Whatever works?
Cotton ball? I am confused.

Judy,

Thanks for telling me about how CM used the tennis racket. I didn't see
the program, but I would have bet all my meager possessions that he
wouldn't use it to hit the dog. :-) It is just not his way; and its not
my way. A recent exchange here involved so much misunderstanding that it
became outright humorous to me. However, I do admit that I sometimes
fail to explain myself adequately. In all seriousness, I'd rather hit
myself than hit a dog. [So, yes essentially, I am a gentle man. I am
willing, and train, to make exceptions for selected humans.]

Your choice of the word "buffer" is excellent, because that's everything
it is. Whether it be tennis racket or fly swatter, it is only a buffer.
As a physical barrier, neither offers much protection, but either serves
as an extension of the person wielding it.

LOL! Don't be confused by my "cotton ball" remark. I was merely being
facetious. However, I believe, depending on the dog, a cotton ball might
work as well as a tennis racket or even a cattle prod! LOL

You said, "Whatever works." I agree--almost 100%! [You can't give some
folks too much latitude.] I wish you'd start a thread and talk about
your successes and your "unconventional" methods. I'm always seeking
insight! Without knowing any of the specifics, I know what you mean! I
read about some of the most creative, logical approaches here, and I
wonder why they never occurred to me. :-)

Every dog is an individual, as is their guardian: no single training method works for all.