Guess the Breed

Old January 18th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

Default Guess the Breed

on Thu, 18 Jan 2007 00:32:53 GMT, "Suja" wrote:

Any guesses?

Australian Terrier? (I looked in my daughter's British breed book but
didn't feel like looking past the A's)

--
Lynne
Old January 18th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

Wrong place for it, but what the hell.

Came across a rare breed dog today at the dog park. It looked to be only
about 2 months old, but turned out to be a 5 months old. When I had
originally read about the development of the breed, I wondered why it was
necessary. Now that I've seen one, I want one too; it is as adorable as can
be. The dog is UKC recognized, but not by the AKC, and according to the
owner, this variety won't get to be more than 15 inches.

Any guesses?

Suja

Old January 18th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Thu, 18 Jan 2007 00:56:24 GMT, "Suja" wrote:

I think Australian Terriers
are AKC recognized.

They may be. In 1999 they weren't (I just checked the date of this book,
hehe).

So I take it this isn't a guard breed?

So American, huh? I was under the impression that there aren't very many
American breeds, just some hounds and pits.

Oh wait. American Water Spaniel?

--
Lynne
Old January 18th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Lynne" wrote in message:

Australian Terrier? (I looked in my daughter's British breed book but
didn't feel like looking past the A's)

The breed is most definitely American. Besides, I think Australian Terriers
are AKC recognized.

Suja

Old January 18th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

"Lynne" wrote:

So American, huh? I was under the impression that there aren't very
many American breeds, just some hounds and pits.

There are a lot more North American breeds than just the six coonhound
breeds (Plott, English, Bluetick, Redbone, Black & Tan, and Treeing Walker),
the American Foxhound, American Pit Bull Terriers, American Bulldogs, and
American Staffordshire Terriers.
There are all the Fiests, Rat Terriers and the offshoot of Rats, the
American Hairless Terrier. Boykin Spaniels, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, Nova
Scotia Duck Tolling Retrivers, Australian Shepherds (yes, they're a U.S.
breed), English Shepherds (ditto), McNabs, Catahoula Leopard Dogs, Carolina
Dogs, staghounds (although those are more of a type), Black Mouth, Treeing,
and Stephens Curs, Boston Terriers, Alaskan Malamutes, Alaskan Klee Kais,
American Eskimos.... I'm sure I've forgotten some. :-D

In this case, my guess is that Suja's met a Mini Aussie, aka "North American
Shepherd".

Old January 18th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Suja wrote:
Wrong place for it, but what the hell.

Came across a rare breed dog today at the dog park. It looked to be only
about 2 months old, but turned out to be a 5 months old. When I had
originally read about the development of the breed, I wondered why it was
necessary. Now that I've seen one, I want one too; it is as adorable as can
be. The dog is UKC recognized, but not by the AKC, and according to the
owner, this variety won't get to be more than 15 inches.

American,15 inches, UKC but not AKC, suggests the Teddy Roosevelt
terrier, or the Miniature Alaskan Klee Klai. Other possibilities (if
the owner misstated the size) include the Rat Terrier, the (dog I hope
not) American Hairless Terrier, or the Xoloitzcuintli (coated I hope).

Any guesses?

Suja

Old January 18th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Sionnach wrote:
snip

In this case, my guess is that Suja's met a Mini Aussie, aka "North American
Shepherd".

Doubt it. It isn't on the current UKC list
(http://www.ukcdogs.com/RegistrationBreeds.htm) of recognized beeds,
and isn't particularly rare.

Old January 18th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Thu, 18 Jan 2007 01:17:47 GMT, "Sionnach" wrote:

There are a lot more North American breeds than just the six
coonhound
breeds (Plott, English, Bluetick, Redbone, Black & Tan, and Treeing
Walker), the American Foxhound, American Pit Bull Terriers, American
Bulldogs, and American Staffordshire Terriers.
There are all the Fiests, Rat Terriers and the offshoot of Rats, the
American Hairless Terrier. Boykin Spaniels, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers,
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrivers, Australian Shepherds (yes, they're
a U.S. breed), English Shepherds (ditto), McNabs, Catahoula Leopard
Dogs, Carolina Dogs, staghounds (although those are more of a type),
Black Mouth, Treeing, and Stephens Curs, Boston Terriers, Alaskan
Malamutes, Alaskan Klee Kais, American Eskimos.... I'm sure I've
forgotten some. :-D

I need to get my blonde roots dyed again or something. I knew about most
of those. I can't believe I forgot about Catahoula Leopard Dogs since I
think that is a very, very cool breed. I also can't believe I forgot
about Eskies since we had one living here for several months that I found
as a stray (he was rehomed with the help of Eskie rescue).

May I say d'oh?

I will also say that I counted Curs in with hounds, but that's not really
accurate. They are very popular in these parts and we think Roxy is a
Mountain or Kemmer Cur (or a mix). We met a breeder who brought that up
about her, but who knows... I found it odd that "curs" are a breed, but
she sure has the traits of one!

So a mini Aussie, eh? She really should just tell us. Then we can talk
her into one of Montana's puppies because that is what she really wants.

--
Lynne
Old January 18th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Suja wrote:

Wrong place for it, but what the hell.

Came across a rare breed dog today at the dog park. It looked to be only
about 2 months old, but turned out to be a 5 months old. When I had
originally read about the development of the breed, I wondered why it was
necessary. Now that I've seen one, I want one too; it is as adorable as can
be. The dog is UKC recognized, but not by the AKC, and according to the
owner, this variety won't get to be more than 15 inches.

Any guesses?

Suja

Kee Kai (Klee Kai?) Mini-Aussie?