i get it now

Old January 18th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

Default i get it now

elegy wrote in
:

he trainer is benignly clueless and chalking it all up to the dog's
supposed abusive beginnings (in reality they have no idea about the
dog's past, but they figure she was beaten by a black man in uniform
because she's most reactive to black men in uniform.)

Sorry, but as a trainer, that's just bullsh*t. Just because a dog is
reactive to a certain type of person does notnot NOT mean that's the
kind of person that abused the dog.

In fact, quite the opposite is often the case: if the dog has a
different type of behavior *at all* towards the sort of person that was
the abuser, the dog is *less* likely to get reactive towards the type of
person. Cowering is usually about it. That's the nature of abuse.
Especially in long term abuse situations, the dog has already learned
that trying to aggress towards a certain type of attacker (in our eyes,
The Abuser), leads to LOTS more pain. Thise dogs tend to become more
placatory in those circumstances.

a trainer with a freaking backbone who would say "you need to keep
that dog on a short leash and pay freaking attention to what she's
doing" would go a long way.

To not say that is simply bad training, IMO. Especialy in a class that
only consists of two dogs besides her own.

i'm really peeved right now and i need to calm down before i email the
trainer.

Good luck. I have to say, this person doesn't sounds too experienced
though.

Tara
Old January 18th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

elegy wrote:

it's just a cgc class, and i'm not actually there to *learn* anything,
so i guess that's good, but if my dog has a huge setback because the
trainer couldn't manage and control the other client and her dog, i'm
gonna be very pissed off, and she's gonna hear about it.

If this is a concern - and it sounds like a very realistic one -
why are you continuing the class? I think I'd be inclined to ask
for a refund and find a different class, for the very good reason
that you are concerned because your dog already has issues with
this type of dog behavior, and you don't believe that the trainer
can manage it effectively, based on what you saw in the first
class.

once is an accident, four times in the space of 45 minutes is flat out
unacceptable.

Yes.

FurPaw

--
Better dead than Red.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old January 18th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

elegy wrote in
:

his was the first night that it's been an issue. to be honest, i'm
not sure what i'm going to do.

How many classes have there been so far?

Did you email the trainer yet?

Tara
Old January 18th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

elegy wrote in
:

i think i'll show up next week with the mindset of if that dog is
still as poorly controlled, i'm going to leave.

Good call. I'd make that determination before even entering the area.

And what a nice offer from the tester. Sounds like she was seriously non-
plussed as well. Almost sounds like she was making a suggestion that you
withdraw without actually undermining that business relationship.

But then I'm just sitting around jumping to conclusions today. Its better
than getting off my ass and going outside.

Tara
Old January 18th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Thu, 18 Jan 2007 19:17:13 GMT, elegy
wrote:

i think i'll show up next week with the mindset of if that dog is
still as poorly controlled, i'm going to leave.

A dog that poorly controlled shouldn't even be in a CGC class IMO. Perhaps
you might suggest to the instructor to offer that dog's owner to retake the
CGC class after they get through a manners class. I doubt that with only 2
classes to go before the test that he is going to pass...

--
Lynne
Old January 18th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:28:45 GMT, Lynne
wrote:

A dog that poorly controlled shouldn't even be in a CGC class IMO.
Perhaps you might suggest to the instructor to offer that dog's owner
to retake the CGC class after they get through a manners class. I
doubt that with only 2 classes to go before the test that he is going
to pass...

Holy butchering of the English language, Batman!

--
Lynne
Old January 18th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

elegy wrote:
long ago and far away, Tara did say:

elegy wrote in
:

his was the first night that it's been an issue. to be honest, i'm
not sure what i'm going to do.

How many classes have there been so far?

last night was the third. there are two more classes and then the
test.

Ah. I'd assumed that it was the first class.

the tester also told me that if i decide that i cannot continue in the
class, that she'll be happy to test my dog privately any time i want
for free.

How nice!

i think i'll show up next week with the mindset of if that dog is
still as poorly controlled, i'm going to leave.

Sounds like a good plan. I hope your intervention with the
trainer, and hers with the dog's owner, do the trick.

FurPaw

--
Better dead than Red.

To reply, unleash the dog.