Who to contact to report local Humane Society?

Old November 1st 03, 10:45 PM
Angela Arnold

Default Who to contact to report local Humane Society?

Who would I need to contact to report cruel and inhumane teatment of
animals by my local Humane Society?
Their shelter is very small (less than 200 sq. feet. They have
chihuahua puppies mixed in with grown labs. Many dogs and puppies are
severly emanciated, none of the animals have vet care, nor are they
given vaccinations or wormings. There is animal waste everywhere,
including in the walkways. The animals do not have any feed pans and
the food is just poured on the kennel floors on top of the waste. Most
of these animals are very sick, starving and have just given up.
It it so disgusting and sad. Is there anyone I can contact to report
this shelter and try to save these poor animals?
Angel

Old November 2nd 03, 02:34 AM
Michael A. Ball

On 1 Nov 2003 14:45:47 -0800, (Angela Arnold) wrote:

Who would I need to contact to report cruel and inhumane teatment of
animals by my local Humane Society?
Their shelter is very small (less than 200 sq. feet. They have
chihuahua puppies mixed in with grown labs. Many dogs and puppies are
severly emanciated, none of the animals have vet care, nor are they
given vaccinations or wormings. There is animal waste everywhere,
including in the walkways. The animals do not have any feed pans and
the food is just poured on the kennel floors on top of the waste. Most
of these animals are very sick, starving and have just given up.
It it so disgusting and sad. Is there anyone I can contact to report
this shelter and try to save these poor animals?
Angel

Now just what is it that you're wanting to report? That the humane society's
shelter, the only place for these desperate dogs, is filthy and disgusting?
When you report them, will you also balance your report by noting that the HS
is a volunteer organization depending of the compassion of the community? I
hope so.

Does your city, county or parish operate a shelter? Or is there an alternate
facility for these dogs?

Are you preparing to publicly condemn the only place these animals have--short
of the landfill?

I appreciate your concern, but I'd be far more supportive, if you had asked
"How can I help...?"

Our shelter, supported by the city and county, has a kill rate of 57%, that's
more than 10,000 annually. The respective governments provide for animal
control only. Efforts and funding for finding new homes, vet care and so forth
come from the county humane society and donations.

If someone at the shelter there is not doing the job they're being paid to do,
by all means, lower the boom on them! However, if the HS there is like so many
others, they might be doing their best.

Since you are so interested in making things happen, why not contact the
shelter and offer your services to spearhead a fund raising drive or whatever
it takes to generate the financial and civic support the shelter needs?

Your enthusiasm could make an important difference.

Michael
A day without recoil is like a day without sunshine!

Old November 2nd 03, 05:08 AM
not my real hairline

Depending on the various political jurisdictions you live in you may contact
the state agriculture Department, The district Attorney, the Attorney
General, PITA, ASPCA, The Humane Society of the US, etc.

It is not all that rare for shelters to be inadequate. It is also not that
rare for shelters to lose their *certification*. I have had direct
experience with two communities that had shelters that lost their licenses.
In fact, one of them is the reason we got our second dog and why we became
active in rescue. That was 16 years ago.

Get on the phone and start calling until you get the right place.

chuck petterson
rescue bus driver