Possible home for Ling-Ling

Old January 19th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

Default Possible home for Ling-Ling

on Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:54:51 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

Hooray for young families who love kids and dogs! I hope they choose her!

Oooh me, too!!

--
Lynne
Old January 19th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Fri, 19 Jan 2007 22:27:52 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

I finally began to understand some of what's going on with DH, who is
not as happy as I am. He doesn't want to give the puppies away, he
doesn't want to give the puppies away to anyone we don't see regularly,
he doesn't want to give the puppies to anyone who won't let us puppy
sit when they go away... and did I mention he doesn't want to give the
puppies away?

That's so sweet! Impractical, but still very sweet.

One of our outside chances declared again last night that it's too soon
to get a puppy, so he's really out. He would not even accept a true
no-strings visit.

That's because he knows the power of puppy breath. I think it's good
that he isn't going to visit. The last thing you want to do send one of
those puppies home with someone who isn't ready.

Everybody wants Comet

While Comet is certainly Mr. Personality, Dancer is still my favorite. I
think you should keep Dancer so I can watch him grow up.

I found out that a neighbor is looking for a puppy. Their former dog
had all sorts of issues and ran away. This was a very friendly pup
named Harvey. I returned him twice. They were building on to their
home, so they had a bunch of people going in and out, but still...
Harvey needed training and exercise and got neither. But his humans
were thrilled that they had a "rescue" dog with issues.

I told the neighbor who mentioned them to me not to tell them that we
have puppies.

Smart move.

I truly believe that we're not going to have a problem finding good
homes because while we don't have reservations, we do have a list of
very strong possibilities. Which means we're going to have to give away
all those puppies.

Except Dancer.

--
Lynne
Old January 19th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

on Fri, 19 Jan 2007 22:49:25 GMT, Lynne
wrote:

Except Dancer.

Oh, and in my little fantasy world, his name is Fred Astaire, but he
answers to Freddie.

--
Lynne
Old January 20th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:06:16 -0500, montana wildhack

On 2007-01-19 17:50:33 -0500, Lynne said:

on Fri, 19 Jan 2007 22:49:25 GMT, Lynne wrote:

Except Dancer.

Oh, and in my little fantasy world, his name is Fred Astaire, but he
answers to Freddie.

I wanted to name our next male dog Kevin. I have no idea why.

Actually, I was convinced that Harvey (the run-away dog) was Kevin.

three dogs is too many, three dogs is too many, three dogs is too many.

Oh, right. Three dogs is too many, three dogs is too many, three dogs
is too many...;-)

Mustang Sally

Old January 20th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
sighthounds & siberians wrote:
Oh, right. Three dogs is too many, three dogs is too many, three dogs
is too many...;-)

Three dogs? Way too many.

Old January 20th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:23:23 -0500, montana wildhack

On 2007-01-19 21:14:00 -0500, sighthounds & siberians said:

Oh, right. Three dogs is too many, three dogs is too many, three dogs
is too many...;-)

For people who work 18 hour days 6-7 days a week, three dogs is too
many unless they are Gunds!

That's a lot of hours, no doubt about it. And it would be difficult
to raise a pup on those hours.

It's my feeling that spending quality time with your dogs when you're
asleep isn't the best life for the dogs, although the dogs enjoy being
cooped up in the office with us all day.

I'd agree that sleep time doesn't really count as quality time,
although there are one or two dogs in my house who would dispute that,
since they think sleep is a very high quality item on its own. It's
always funny when people who work full-time take a day off to see what
their dogs do all day...pretty boring stuff. Of course, most dogs
would happily say yes to the offer of a walk at most any time, but if
no such offer is forthcoming, it's mostly about sleeping. As
everybody here knows, the breed or breed mix and individual
personality has a great deal to do with activity levels and time
required. It's amazing how little activity there is around here, even
with two not-yet-two-years-old greyhounds (except when they think they
hear a car in the driveway and everyone thunders to the door...).

The big girls are beginning to get the picture about playing quietly,
although it's really hard not to play bitey leg.

I can imagine. It sounds as though Bella and Ne[m]o are doing well
together, which is really great.

Mustang Sally

Old January 21st 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Susan Fraser

montana wildhack whined:
three dogs is too many, three dogs is too many, three dogs is too many.

Heh. Gris-Gris resembles that statement...

I really really didn't intend to keep any of Shammie's puppies either!
Three dogs IS too many! I really really really tried to find
'GreenGirl' a home - I did! -but she was just so BAD! *Such* a
special-needs puppy! First to do everything, merciless bully of the
boypups but the one they all wated to snuggle with, learned almost as
soon as her eyes werre open to sit back and stare into my eyes to get
me to notice her, already offering behaviors when she heard a clicker,
would range the fartherest in the back yard, but also the first to
notice when I hid from sight. She was going to need a very savvy owner,
one she wouldn't run amuck over, one who would channel all that drive
into worthwhile pursuits like hunting or agillity, one who could be
firm with her while nurturing her sweet loving nature. She would need
TONS of exercise for her compact little muscles and that sharp eager
brain.

She helped me weed out potential adopters by growling and tugging their
shoelaces, leaping out of their laps, smothering their faces with
kisses and then chomping their ears and noses with sharp puppy teeth,
squirming like a greased pig when they would try to hold her... when
all the other pups would get tired and snuggle in their arms for a nap,
she would still be a whirling dervish, retrieving toys over and over
and over and over... And did I mention caterwauling? Most vocal pup
I've ever seen.

So in the end, I decided to keep her *just for a a while*, get prelim
x-rays and health testing, housebreak her and get her started on
obedience, and if she panned out like I thought she would, place her as
a 'started' dog in a performance home.

We can be very very delusional when we're breathing puppy breath! ;-)
But, hey! She's still up for placement in a performance home - the
price now is just up to 6 figures.

Good luck placing them (and if you're not sure about a home, just
really keep up with them - I took back a brother and kept him for a
time until I found him a great forever home)

Susan "Who Dat" Fraser
and the (dressed for the game in Gold with black accents) AuH2Ok9s:
SheBopDaBears, Shamma Lamm Hot Dam Ding-a-Ling Cha Ching!, and YipEEEE
Gris-Gris

Old January 21st 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 21 Jan 2007 06:26:12 -0800, "Susan Fraser" ,
clicked their heels and said:

montana wildhack whined:
three dogs is too many, three dogs is too many, three dogs is too many.

Heh. Gris-Gris resembles that statement...

Rudy too. He sure wasn't intentional, but he HAD to stay here. Even
DH thinks so now that it's a done deal.

--
Janet Boss
Old January 21st 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread news:2007012113141216807-montana@wildhackcominvalid: montana
wildhack whittled the following words:

On 2007-01-21 10:17:15 -0500, Janet B
said:

On 21 Jan 2007 06:26:12 -0800, "Susan Fraser" ,
clicked their heels and said:

montana wildhack whined:
three dogs is too many, three dogs is too many, three dogs is too
many.

Heh. Gris-Gris resembles that statement...

Rudy too. He sure wasn't intentional, but he HAD to stay here. Even
DH thinks so now that it's a done deal.

I understand what you're saying and we had a three dog household for
aome time. I just feel like if I don't keep saying the magic words
(three is too many) we're going to want to keep a pup. We have no
business keeping a puppy now.

We may HAVE to keep a puppy for a while, but even so, wanting it makes
it so. As of this morning, we have four strong home possibilities. One
of my problems has to do with my wish to pick out a puppy for an
owner, rather than the other way around.

DH got into trouble today because his pastor asked him to bring a
puppy for the "children's message" part of the service. He used
raising a puppy as an example for why Christians baptize and what that
means. He asked the kids what you need besides lots of love and
affection to properly raise a puppy. I was kind of floored by the
kids' answers, but perhaps they come from homes with dogs. Yes, they
suggested food, but training and exercise were the next two responses
and the kids had really good reasons for those answers.

Parents weren't thrilled that the pastor mentioned that our puppies
didn't have homes and then let the children PET THE PUPPY.

Of course, we brought Gigi, the melting girl. As usual, pass the puppy
is a favorite event for her, and all she really wanted to do was nap.

But all the puppies are amazingly calm and all of them like being
held. I imagine this is going to change. Of course, they really like
playing with human-filled shoes, which makes walking difficult...

How cool!
Old January 21st 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MauiJNP

One of my problems has to do with my wish to pick out a puppy for an
owner, rather than the other way around.

hopefully, the potential buyers will realize that you know the puppies best
and you are able to pick a puppy for them that will best fit their lifestyle
and what they want in a puppy/dog. if that can't be done, and the match is
wrong, it might leave a puppy looking for a new home later in life, which
isn't easy for anybody involved

DH got into trouble today because his pastor asked him to bring a puppy
for the "children's message" part of the service. He used raising a puppy
as an example for why Christians baptize and what that means. He asked the
kids what you need besides lots of love and affection to properly raise a
puppy. I was kind of floored by the kids' answers, but perhaps they come
from homes with dogs. Yes, they suggested food, but training and exercise
were the next two responses and the kids had really good reasons for those
answers.

Parents weren't thrilled that the pastor mentioned that our puppies didn't
have homes and then let the children PET THE PUPPY.

Of course, we brought Gigi, the melting girl. As usual, pass the puppy is
a favorite event for her, and all she really wanted to do was nap.

sounds like great fun for all involved.