Keeping the dog off the furniture?

Old January 25th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
stella

Default Keeping the dog off the furniture?

I have a 2 year old German Shepherd/Pit/Malamute mix. Normally, he's a
very good dog. I just have one problem with him - he won't stay off the
furniture. When he was a puppy, he'd climb up onto the furniture with
me, and I'd scold him and order him off of it so that he learned I
didn't like it, and he learned well enough. Ever since, when I'm not in
the room, he'll get on the furniture, and as soon as he hears me
coming, he'll hurry off of it.

I don't know what to do about it; he obviously knows it's bad, but he
won't stop. I've tried the sprays like Boundary and they don't work. I
know it's not the biggest dog emergency ever, but I'd appreciate
whatever advice anyone can offer. Thanks!

Old January 25th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:25:11 -0600, stella
, clicked their heels and said:

I don't know what to do about it; he obviously knows it's bad, but he
won't stop. I've tried the sprays like Boundary and they don't work. I
know it's not the biggest dog emergency ever, but I'd appreciate
whatever advice anyone can offer. Thanks!

Does he have a nice cushy dog bed as an alternative?

--
Janet Boss
Old January 25th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
yukonrider

Hi Stella,

Here is my idea about the issue. Some dogs need more that a scolding. I
think that your dog is testing you. Get mad, talk like you are mad to
tell him that you mean it. Personnally, I would also grab my dog and
give him a shake to make it clear. He will love and respect you more
once he sees you as a true leader that imposes his decisions. And be
consistent. If he does it again get mad even more. This is not being
cruel to animals. Look how a bitches educates their pups. They will get
really rough with them and that's how they learn to listen and to stay
safe. And with the kind of mix you have, for safety reasons, you need
to be 100% in control of you dog.
Good luck
Yasmine

PS owner of 40 dogs

Old January 25th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Opinicus

"stella" wrote in message

I don't know what to do about it; he obviously knows it's bad, but he
won't stop. I've tried the sprays like Boundary and they don't work. I
know it's not the biggest dog emergency ever, but I'd appreciate whatever
advice anyone can offer. Thanks!

In our household all the critters (us included) share the furniture. For
example, I'm going to go outside and need to put on my shoes. Zeytin (a cat)
is sleeping in the chair I sit on to perform this ritual. a "Pssst" alerts
her to my intentions and she's out of there. For example, Balim's been
playing with a neighbor's dog for two or three hours and is is exhausted.
She clambers into the bed where my wife's napping, and snuggles herself into
position, moving my wife out of the way.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Old January 25th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
stella

On 2007-01-25 07:34:45 -0600, Janet B said:

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:25:11 -0600, stella
, clicked their heels and said:

I don't know what to do about it; he obviously knows it's bad, but he
won't stop. I've tried the sprays like Boundary and they don't work. I
know it's not the biggest dog emergency ever, but I'd appreciate
whatever advice anyone can offer. Thanks!

Does he have a nice cushy dog bed as an alternative?

No, he doesn't, but I suppose it's something I could try. Thanks.

Old January 25th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
stella

On 2007-01-25 14:07:53 -0600, "yukonrider" said:

Hi Stella,

Here is my idea about the issue. Some dogs need more that a scolding. I
think that your dog is testing you. Get mad, talk like you are mad to
tell him that you mean it. Personnally, I would also grab my dog and
give him a shake to make it clear. He will love and respect you more
once he sees you as a true leader that imposes his decisions. And be
consistent. If he does it again get mad even more. This is not being
cruel to animals. Look how a bitches educates their pups. They will get
really rough with them and that's how they learn to listen and to stay
safe. And with the kind of mix you have, for safety reasons, you need
to be 100% in control of you dog.
Good luck
Yasmine

PS owner of 40 dogs

What I'm concerned about is, how can I teach him that it's bad when he
alreadys knows, and does it anyway? When he hears me coming and dashes
off the furniture, he goes to lay on the floor and looks up at me like
he's guilty.

If it really is as simple as just being a bit more aggressive with him,
I'm going to want to kick myself. Thanks for your reply.

Old January 25th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread news:2007012514482450073-violetantihero@hotmailcom: stella
whittled the following words:

If it really is as simple as just being a bit more aggressive with him,
I'm going to want to kick myself. Thanks for your reply.

The responder is a fruit cake. She's offering horrid advice. I certainly
wouldn't thank her for that. Get involved with your dog, TAKE her to dog
obedience. A dog CLUB would be best. Don't SEND the dog anywhere. TAKE her.
Old January 25th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
stella

On 2007-01-25 15:06:25 -0600, diddy said:

in thread news:2007012514482450073-violetantihero@hotmailcom: stella
whittled the following words:

If it really is as simple as just being a bit more aggressive with him,
I'm going to want to kick myself. Thanks for your reply.

The responder is a fruit cake. She's offering horrid advice. I certainly
wouldn't thank her for that. Get involved with your dog, TAKE her to dog
obedience. A dog CLUB would be best. Don't SEND the dog anywhere. TAKE her.

I apologize if I've missed a known troll.

You really think he needs obedience school? This is the only thing he
doesn't listen to me on. The rest of the time, he's a good, obedient
dog. I figured I did a pretty good job training him myself.

Old January 25th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy

in thread news:2007012515141943658-violetantihero@hotmailcom: stella

On 2007-01-25 15:06:25 -0600, diddy said:

in thread news:2007012514482450073-violetantihero@hotmailcom: stella
whittled the following words:

If it really is as simple as just being a bit more aggressive with
him, I'm going to want to kick myself. Thanks for your reply.

The responder is a fruit cake. She's offering horrid advice. I
certainly wouldn't thank her for that. Get involved with your dog,
TAKE her to dog obedience. A dog CLUB would be best. Don't SEND the
dog anywhere. TAKE her.

I apologize if I've missed a known troll.

You really think he needs obedience school? This is the only thing he
doesn't listen to me on. The rest of the time, he's a good, obedient
dog. I figured I did a pretty good job training him myself.

If he's not good at it, then he needs obedience school. But I have the
wrong thread. It was my mistake.
As far as keeping him off the couch, address those issues with your
obedience school instructor, who will tailor advice to the situation.
My dogs have one couch they are allowed to be on. The rest of the furniture
is off limits.

Old January 25th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"stella" wrote in message
I have a 2 year old German Shepherd/Pit/Malamute mix. Normally, he's a
very good dog. I just have one problem with him - he won't stay off the
furniture. When he was a puppy, he'd climb up onto the furniture with
me, and I'd scold him and order him off of it so that he learned I
didn't like it, and he learned well enough. Ever since, when I'm not in
the room, he'll get on the furniture, and as soon as he hears me
coming, he'll hurry off of it.

I don't know what to do about it; he obviously knows it's bad, but he
won't stop. I've tried the sprays like Boundary and they don't work. I
know it's not the biggest dog emergency ever, but I'd appreciate
whatever advice anyone can offer. Thanks!

I would definitely get him his own bed; my dog always sleeps and rests on
her own sheepskin mat. If your dog is large, make sure the bed is also
large enough for the dog to stretch out on it.
Another idea you could try is to put pillows all over the couch or chairs,
or some books or a tray, leaving no space for your dog to lie down, whenever
you leave the room. He might get used to then going to his own bed where it
is more comfortable.