Need advice PLEASE!! My dog is out of control

Old January 25th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
KateMossberg

Default Need advice PLEASE!! My dog is out of control

Hello,
I need some advice on how to control my pitbull Roxy. She has always
been a very sweet and loving dog, never abused, never neglected. In
fact I think I might have been too attentive to her, and now she has ME
trained. She is very energectic and playful, but she is a pitbull and
she will jump on company, sometimes growl at certain people (usually if
they are wearing a hat), and she has recently started nipping. I am
very concerned that she might bite someone thinking she is playing, and
have to be put down. She has become completely out of control, and I am
at the end of my rope.
Yesterday someone mentioned a pitbull rescue foundation and I started
crying. She doesn't need to be rescued, I just don't know how to calm
her down.

Basically Roxy like a child to me, and I would never want to do
anything to harm her, and could never ever send her off to some rescue
ranch. It would be no good for either of us. I sent her to a training
school for 2 weeks called Command Performance and when she came home
she seemed to be just fine, she no longer jumped, she was very calm,
and I think just happy to be home, but her behavior has reverted and I
am scared.

I did some research on shock collars, and I really don't think I want
to use one on her but it looks like it might be my last resort. They
seem to be effective (or so the reviews say) I just don't know
howhumane they are.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated, something has to be
done soon otherwise I will have to find her a new home.

Thank you

Old January 25th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

"KateMossberg" wrote in
oups.com:

I sent her to a training
school for 2 weeks called Command Performance and when she came home
she seemed to be just fine, she no longer jumped, she was very calm,
and I think just happy to be home,

(I am going to be blunt here. keep in mind this is MY opinion only)

This was a big mistake. I abhor the notion of sending a dog off for
basic obedience. There are many reasons for boarding and training, but
basic obedience is simply not one of them. The fact that this is pretty
much all they do (I believe I found the right web site) is of concern.

YOU need to learn how to train and handle YOUR dog. Period. You need to
practice your commands, you need to consistantly exercise your dog
sufficiently. It all starts and ends with you. If anyone else says they
can take your totally untrained dog and hand you back a fully trained
dog that requires very little work on your part, they are, quite simply,
lying.

I have done *plenty* of boarding and training. My own focus tends to be
on specific behavioral problems, or helping owners overcome a training
obstacle they are having difficulty achieving success with. Even then,
the plan of action I give to them when I hand over their dog is
*equally* as important as the work I've done.

but her behavior has reverted and I
am scared.

I can understand that.

I did some research on shock collars, and I really don't think I want
to use one on her but it looks like it might be my last resort.

I would absolutely try a first resort first. And actual training class
that YOU attend with your dog. If a class isn't appropriate, then try
privates. Or a good book that you actually *follow*.

They
seem to be effective (or so the reviews say) I just don't know
howhumane they are.

It sounds like you've done little to no actual training of this dog
yourself. If that's the case, I think this would be absolutely inhumane,
and would very likely ruin your dog's temperament. You have to learn
about praise, rewards (I wasn't all that thrilled with the training
center's lack of understanding about food or other concrete rewards
besides praise. I don't care if they believe what they believe, but they
clearly haven't got the first clue about how rewards like that work in
the first place, so I'd have preferred if they hadn't commented on it),
timing, controlling resources....all stuff that's involved in training.

Slapping an ecollar on your dog because you let her training slide would
be, IMO, horribly unfair.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated, something has to be
done soon otherwise I will have to find her a new home.

Go. Find an obedience club. ASAP. As in yesterday. Learn how to work
*with* your dog.

Tara
Old January 25th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey

"KateMossberg" wrote :
...She is very energectic and playful, but she is a pitbull and
she will jump on company,

Don't let her do that.

sometimes growl at certain people (usually if they are wearing a hat),

Really, don't let her do that.

and she has recently started nipping.

See above.

...She has become completely out of control, and I am
at the end of my rope.

Set boundaries. Train. Supervise interactions. Train some more.
Channel her energy into activities you can do together. Oh, and yes,
you might consider training your dog.

Basically Roxy like a child to me, and I would never want to do
anything to harm her,

Then TRAIN her. Teaching children and dogs how to live in human society
is the barest minimun expected of a parent or owner. Love without
guidance isn't going to keep her out of trouble, or you out of court.

I did some research on shock collars, and I really don't think I want
to use one on her but it looks like it might be my last resort.

I'm whiffing something that seems somewhat ... trollish. But, in case
it's my sniffer that's off, let's continue. Use whatever equipment you
are comfortable and capable of employing -- for the most part, YOU are
doing the training, not the equipment.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated, something has to be
done soon otherwise I will have to find her a new home.

That might be Roxy's best bet. Unless, of course, you decide to TRAIN
her.
Old January 25th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
yukonrider

Kate,

This dog is not for you. She is getting dangerous and you don't want to
live with the guilt of him mauling or killing someone. Surrender her
and get yourself a more adapted breed that you can controll. This is
not cruel, this is humane to you, to the people surrounding you and to
you dog (that will be destroyed if she ever attaks someone). There is
nothing wrong in acceptiong the fact that you made a mistake by taking
this type of dof in the first place. Not many people have the ability
to safely handle a pitbull, especially not one that has such dominering
traits. It is beyond training. You are afraid of this dog - rightly so
- and he knows it. He will never respect you enough to give you a safe
amount of control on him. It's still time to do the right thing. I
hope that you will. If you would like more support, feel free to e-mail
me.

Good luck

Yasmine

Old January 25th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article om,
yukonrider wrote:
This is
not cruel, this is humane to you, to the people surrounding you and to
you dog (that will be destroyed if she ever attaks someone).

So far you're 0 for 2 on your advice (or 2 for 2, if what
you're counting is *bad* advice). She hasn't trained the
dog, and she's getting what you get when you don't train
your dog. Giving up on a dog before giving it a chance is a
shithead thing to do.

Old January 25th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sionnach

"Melinda Shore" wrote:

So far you're 0 for 2 on your advice (or 2 for 2, if what
you're counting is *bad* advice). She hasn't trained the
dog, and she's getting what you get when you don't train
your dog.

Not to mention that it's ridiculous to leap from a description of a young,
untrained, and bumptious dog jumping and nipping to the absurd conclusion
that the dog "is getting dangerous" and is likely to end up "mauling or
killing someone" - especially when the dog happens to be of a breed
well-known for LACK of aggression towards humans.

Old January 25th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

"KateMossberg" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

============
A couple of suggestions I would offer are to join an obedience training
class with her immediately. This will establish you as her leader and you
are more apt to have better control of her. Aggressive breeds should always
have obedience training. Also, I would walk her twice a day and play
outside with her letting her run to rid her of all that pent up energy. It
is a lot easier to control a tired relaxed dog than a frustrated energetic
playful dog. Until she learns her manners, I would keep her separated from
people coming to visit or no one will want to visit you. Either put her in
her crate or another room or outside when you have visitors.

Old January 26th 07, 07:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
KateMossberg

Before I start thanking people, I would like to say... I came here for
advice, not to be attacked by a mob of opinionated, self-righteous and
presumptuous posters. All of this is good advice (mostly) but I do not
understand everyone's apparent need to attack me and brand me as
incompetent and (in some replies) inhumane.
I am taken aback by the amount of belittlement I have encountered just
because I was trying to learn something about the heath and saftey of
my pet.

Those of you who suggested training not only for the dog but for
myself, I agree 100% and will look into it. Those of you who suggested
that I surrender my pet over to a rescue foundation, why did you even
bother responding???? Do you just like the look of your own text?

I thank you all for your advice and I will definitely follow up on some
of it.

PS- Arrogance discounts the credibility of ones character *you know who
you are*

Old January 26th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 25 Jan 2007 22:32:45 -0800, "KateMossberg"
, clicked their heels and said:

Before I start thanking people, I would like to say... I came here for
advice, not to be attacked by a mob of opinionated, self-righteous and
presumptuous posters.

Whoa. I saw ONE loon, as the other resident loon is filtered. Others
gave GOOD advice, so I'm not sure where the "mob" was.

Training classes for both of you, and be a leader instead of thinking
of her as your child. Both will go a very long way. Good luck and
stick with it - things WILL get better with work.
--
Janet Boss
Old January 27th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Kate,
Do no give up on Roxy. She obviously has the upper hand with you and
she knows it and will take advantage of it.
I think the obedience training class is a good idea. I would like to
add that it is most important that you select the class carefully.
Hopefully, have a meeting with the trainer before taking Roxy to class.
Share your concerns and issues. I am not trying to scare you off, but
if you can't control her and stroll into class and she is dog aggressive
or worse yet human aggressive you could meet with disaster. There are
ways of going at it and you can do it!!!!!!
I have two Pit Bull mixes and though they are totally different. Each
of them are the light of my life.
Hang in there and best of luck with Roxy!!!!!!

Be Free.....Judy