Excessive shedding

Old January 26th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
[email protected]

Default Excessive shedding

I have 2 Chesapeake Retrievers. This is a non shedding breed and my
dogs are 7 years old. For 4 years they have been shedding excessively.
One of them was treated for a bacterial skin infection: she lost her
coat completely, but then it came back beautifully thick and shiny.
They were tested for allergies and are allergic to everything outdoors.
They are on a potato and rabbit diet for years now, but nothing seems
to quiet down the excessive shedding. Everytime I brush them I can fill
up a bag with fine fur. They have the curly coats of Chessies but not
the thick coat you would expect. The vet believes this is genetic
problem, probably with the whole litter, but the breeder denies anyone
else has reported this to her or asked for her suggestions. I wonder if
anyone can suggest any supplements. I already add Omega 3-6 and Hemp
Seed Oil., I am thinking Safflower Oil might work, and maybe the raw
egg. They are energetic and wonderful dogs, but for non shedding dogs,
you would think they were Goldens.. Help.... Linda

Old January 26th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
[email protected]

Chessies shed dead hair twice a year not constantly... They need a very
thick coat to withstand icy waters... My dogs have thin unnatutaral
coats for their breed. And they did not use to shed at all for their
first three years of life... Vet said this condition occurs at three
years. I'm wondering if a supplement would help some.

On Jan 26, 12:35 pm, diddy wrote:
in oglegroups.com:
whittled the following words:

I have 2 Chesapeake Retrievers. This is a non shedding breedREALLY? Where did you find a breeder who could produce non-shedding

Chesapeakes? I used to work with them, and they SHED. Amazing what genetics
has done for the breed in the last 30 years

The vet believes this is genetic
problem, probably with the whole litter, but the breeder denies anyone
else has reported this to her or asked for her suggestions.Have they had thyroid tests? Been tested for Addisons?

Old January 26th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
pfoley

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

=============
Maybe this link might be of some help to you regarding shedding.
http://www.beartownchesapeakes.com/coat.htm

Old January 26th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Spot

LOL...........boy were you scammed when they told you these were non
shedding. I have a beagle/chesapeake mix who sheds curly hair all over my
place and twice a year it's chunky curly hair. He actually gets tiny bald
spots on his body it's allergies it's just the way they shed.

The link that posted by pfoley describes my Bubba to a T. Older, neutered
dogs seem to get a coat that is always shedding but never gets any thinner.

oups.com...

Old January 26th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Spot

That was supposed to read

It's NOT allergies it's just the way they shed.

"Spot" wrote in message
LOL...........boy were you scammed when they told you these were non
shedding. I have a beagle/chesapeake mix who sheds curly hair all over my
place and twice a year it's chunky curly hair. He actually gets tiny bald
spots on his body it's allergies it's just the way they shed.

The link that posted by pfoley describes my Bubba to a T. Older, neutered
dogs seem to get a coat that is always shedding but never gets any
thinner.

oups.com...

shedding stuckhere Dogs - general 0 January 8th 05 01:29 AM
Yellow Lab and shedding Mundy Pond Dogs - general 1 June 29th 04 08:01 AM
Shedding Brush/Blade - Golden - Cutting Jeff Klein Dog behavior 9 January 20th 04 03:33 AM
Shedding Brush/Blade - Golden - Cutting Jeff Klein Dog behavior 0 January 17th 04 11:50 PM
Shedding Brush/Blade - Golden - Cutting Jeff Klein Dog behavior 0 January 17th 04 11:50 PM